My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
I have thought about him (MasseyWV) from time to time. I too have noticed his absence . Even tried to PM a couple of times, but apparently he has that feature turned off. I recall earlier in the year his wife had some medical issues pop up, and then the stalker / lurker she caught hanging around outside their house....I hope every thing is all right with him and his family.

If anyone knows him personally, we would appreciate any news....but from following his threads I know he values his online privacy, so I doubt anyone would have any info.....and he would probably say its none of our business anyway :)

So MasseyWV, if you have been lurking - we miss your posts and truly hope that things are well in your world.

I'm back!

Shortly after deciding to take a break from TBN for a variety of reasons, a series of personal issues came up which caused tractors and forums to become very low priorities in my life. Thankfully, everything is back to normal now with one exception... I have a much greater appreciation for life. To those who expressed concern at my absence, you have my sincere gratitude.

Recently, I've begun working on my tractor again and have made a great deal of progress. I'll post the details as time permits, but for those who are curious... the hydraulics have been rebuilt/installed and today I bolted the engine back up to the transmission. Tomorrow, I plan to install the cylinder head.

Stay tuned... there is much more to come.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #452  
Where the h ll you been my friend? Missed you. Hope all is well now.I too have bought a 67 135 diesel.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #453  
I'm back!

Shortly after deciding to take a break from TBN for a variety of reasons, a series of personal issues came up which caused tractors and forums to become very low priorities in my life. Thankfully, everything is back to normal now with one exception... I have a much greater appreciation for life. To those who expressed concern at my absence, you have my sincere gratitude.

Recently, I've begun working on my tractor again and have made a great deal of progress. I'll post the details as time permits, but for those who are curious... the hydraulics have been rebuilt/installed and today I bolted the engine back up to the transmission. Tomorrow, I plan to install the cylinder head.

Stay tuned... there is much more to come.

Welcome back. We are ready for some more updates..

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #454  
Did you end up rebuilding the motor or just the head. I seem to remember it had good compression. Thanks for all your help and welcome back. Turned mine over yesterday to make sure it would crank. I got front end on, radiator, and I just lack the tank and a few misc and I am good to start. I think I will video it and post it.

Where the h ll you been my friend? Missed you. Hope all is well now.I too have bought a 67 135 diesel.

In a nutshell... I've been to heII and back.

Welcome back. We are ready for some more updates..

I want to get the cylinder head installed tomorrow and tie up a few other loose ends first, then I'll begin to organize everything and post about each step of my progress. Fortunately, I've continued to take pictures as I go so there will be plenty of them to share. Everything has happened so quickly, and once again I really need to clean my garage. Talk about a disaster. :)

Did you end up rebuilding the motor or just the head. I seem to remember it had good compression. Thanks for all your help and welcome back. Turned mine over yesterday to make sure it would crank. I got front end on, radiator, and I just lack the tank and a few misc and I am good to start. I think I will video it and post it.

You're welcome.

My Continental Z145 engine did have good compression, but a variety of factors caused me to decide to do a complete overhaul. I even ended up replacing the camshaft with a new one after I discovered some pitting on two of the lobes, likely due to poor maintenance, a lack of ZDDP in the oil, or both..

A word of advice... don't forget to ensure that there is oil in your engine before you start it for the first time. It seems like a no-brainer but it does happen from time to time. Personally, I like to make a checklist of critical items to double check before I start a newly rebuilt engine.

And don't forget to follow proper break-in procedures, especially if you replaced the camshaft. Opinions will vary, but I like do the initial break-in by starting the engine and varying the RPM's between 1500-2000, and after running/driving it between thirty minutes to an hour, changing the oil and oil filter, then re-torquing the head bolts and re-adjusting the valve lash. Whatever you do, do not idle the engine anymore than absolutely necessary during the initial break-in period because it's vital to keep the RPM's up so the camshaft/tappets and other parts that are splash oiled will get plenty of lubrication. Fine tuning the engine by adjusting the carburetor and timing can be done after the initial break-in period.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #456  
Thanks for the advice, especially the break in. One thing I noticed was they recommend re-torquing the head bolts and adjusting valves while engine is running? That seems odd. I can see doing it while the engine is warm but I don't plan to do it while its running. I do have a breakin oil in the engine. I did not replace my camshaft but it looked in good shape and the machine shop said it was o.k.

Thanks for the advice, especially the break in. One thing I noticed was they recommend re-torquing the head bolts and adjusting valves while engine is running? That seems odd. I can see doing it while the engine is warm but I don't plan to do it while its running. I do have a breakin oil in the engine. I did not replace my camshaft but it looked in good shape and the machine shop said it was o.k.

You're correct, re-torquing the head bolts and adjusting valves should be done while the engine is warm, but absolutely NOT while it's running. I can just imagine trying to loosen the locking nuts, then trying to turn the valve lash adjusters with the rocker arms jumping up and down. :)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #458  
In a nutshell... I've been to heII and back.

Well my Internet friend, I am glad you are back, with a new appreciation of life! Look forward to your posts

Dean

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #459  
Welcome back MasseyWV. Hubby and I are looking forward in watching and learning from your continued process on your tractor :)

:tractor:--MasseyLady

I want to get the cylinder head installed tomorrow and tie up a few other loose ends first, then I'll begin to organize everything and post about each step of my progress. Fortunately, I've continued to take pictures as I go so there will be plenty of them to share. Everything has happened so quickly, and once again I really need to clean my garage. Talk about a disaster. :)

Yesterday, I installed the cylinder head and various other parts, but wasn't able to torque the head bolts yet and only snugged them down slightly because I found that I had forgot to sandblast and prime three clips for the thermostat sending tube which are held in place by three of the five short head bolts located in the recessed portion of the cylinder head near the spark plug holes. I also need to make or locate a special offset torque wrench adapter tool so more accurate torque readings can be achieved without the need to compensate for the offset angle created by using a crows-foot adapter, which tends to be somewhat inaccurate.

I even found time to work towards cleaning my garage, which seems to be a never-ending task these days. That said, I've downloaded all the pictures from my camera and have begun preparing them so I can post about each step of my progress to date. I've been somewhat busy working on my tractor so it may take me a while to get everything sorted out. In the mean time, here is a picture that was taken yesterday, just before I installed the cylinder head. As you can see, I've made a lot of progress since my last update.

24dh5ko.jpg