My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #511  
MasseyWV I understand the time consuming process of such detailed post, having done the same in other forums. As a self appointed spokesman for the "Vintage" MF readers THANK YOU. There is no substitute for such a in-dept write up of actual hands on experience. In fact anyone doing a restoration process of any tractor would benefit from reading this thread. Please continue until this tractor project is complete and we eagerly look forward to your next burst of self proclaimed "temporary insanity" when your restoration of a diesel 135 begins. :applause::applause::applause::applause:

We all thank You Massey.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
My original intent was to buy the tractor, make any needed repairs, then work the snot out of it until I could afford to buy a new one.

I'm definitely planning to purchase and restore a Massey Ferguson 135 tractor with a Perkins AD3.152 diesel engine after my current restoration project is complete

Then again, I've also been looking at new Kubota tractors and thinking very hard about buying one, but that would take away all the fun of restoring an older one. Decisions, decisions...

As I was typing this post, I couldn't help but notice that the spell checker (on a tractor forum) didn't know how to spell the word Kubota. :confused2:

MasseyWV I understand the time consuming process of such detailed post, having done the same in other forums. As a self appointed spokesman for the "Vintage" MF readers THANK YOU. There is no substitute for such a in-dept write up of actual hands on experience. In fact anyone doing a restoration process of any tractor would benefit from reading this thread. Please continue until this tractor project is complete and we eagerly look forward to your next burst of self proclaimed "temporary insanity" when your restoration of a diesel 135 begins.

We all thank You Massey.

You're welcome and don't worry, I'm not going anywhere, or at least not until my current restoration project is complete. After that, who knows what I'll decide to do. In fact, the sole reason I returned after unexpected real-life events caused my four month absence, was so I could see this restoration thread through to completion. Besides, I couldn't simply leave everyone hanging. When I start something, I finish it. :)

Last edited:
The following is a picture of a part being de-rusted using electrolysis. Normally, I would use sodium carbonate (washing soda) for the electrolyte solution but I was out of it so I'm experimenting with borax and a pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I'm only using a pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because large amounts have been reported to cause pitting in the part being de-rusted. So far it seems to be working fine, judging by the bubbles and the sludge in the electrolyte solution. However, the real test will be tomorrow after I remove the part and scrub the residue off of it.

Note that flat mild-steel bar works best for anodes because it has a larger surface area, but mild-steel rod is all I have on hand at the moment so that's what I'm using. Rebar also works great.

2hnv1u8.jpg

After allowing the part to soak in the "juice" for about 12 hours (24 would have been better), I disconnected the battery charger and removed the part to find that most of the rust was gone. As expected, the part was coated in a black "sludge" that was easily removed using a wire brush. While I still prefer using sodium carbonate to make the electrolyte solution, the results of my little experiment seem to indicate that borax does indeed work.

Last edited:
Next I'll perform a few remaining tweaks here and there, then de-rust and/or sandblast everything before coating the side panels and lower pan with a thin layer of Bondo and sand them to obtain a smooth finish for primer and paint.

The front grille assembly is coming along nicely. The lower pan and side panels are complete, and the front grille and access door have been straightened and partially sandblasted. Amazingly, the front grille looks great despite it having had several large dents. Only a few minor tasks need to be completed before I'll be able to give everything a coat of primer.

Then the real fun begins...

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #516  
you know, I've been where your at before. I wanted to quit several times just cause it gets old and I was just sick of doing it. Then there would be something or someone that would renew my enthusiasm and I'd be ok for a while. I dont even like to post that much. You and I may be cut from the same cloth. We think, oh I'll just fix this and that to make it reliable then use the crap out of it. Then the thought of well I might as well repair or replace the hydro pump, pto seal, brakes, tie rods, bearings, clutch, front pivot bushings etc: the list goes on. Then I say heck I may as well tear it down and do it right. It wont cost much more anyhow (you know it will cost more, your just in denial). Then in the middle of the project, (that's taken longer than you thought cause life got in the way) you ask yourself, what in the heck did I do this for? I could be or been using this thing by now or the whole time instead of creating a parts tractor. Then with all people like us we have that sentimental bug hit us just in time. It takes our mind back to a simpler place and time (old rural wheat field or hay field with partly cloudy skies. Wind blowing lightly no worries, just you and that tractor. The smell of fresh cut grass, alfalfa, sage grass and the occasional bull thistle. The slight tinge of freshly greased parts with a whiff of rubber from the hot tire baking in the sun all combine to hit you), letting you know you are happy and living a great life.. A damned lucky person if you will. At that moment I'm then anxious to get going and get it done so I can get to that great place in my mind. All the while whistling dont worry be happy.(J/K) I for one knowing how difficult it is to work and document. I hope you always do a build thread. There's such valuable info to be learned. Even though I'm a good mechanic I still learn new things. Little procedures or tips/tricks I didnt know before. Maybe a new product or new vendor. Plus I meet a new friend. Integrity and morals are not found very often. You have them and hope you stick around to keep us living in the past, present and future. Sorry if that song is now stuck in your head. LOL

you know, I've been where your at before. I wanted to quit several times just cause it gets old and I was just sick of doing it. Then there would be something or someone that would renew my enthusiasm and I'd be ok for a while. I dont even like to post that much.

Things can get frustrating at times, with many ups and downs that come and go like ocean waves breaking on the shore. With each incoming wave, a surge of enthusiasm leads to a burst of new progress and/or updates, but inevitable lulls (or interruptions) only serve to do the exact opposite. Add to that the burden of maintaining a long-running forum thread, and things only get more... complicated. Suffice it to say that anyone who has been a member of a forum for very long will know exactly what I'm referring to.

Don't get me wrong, I continue to have ample enthusiasm about the completion of my restoration project, and while I've shared a great deal of information during the course of this thread, I also believe that things could could have been much... better. Normally, I like to go into exquisite detail, but there are times when it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort so I often limit myself to posting much less information and/or updates than I might have done otherwise.

You and I may be cut from the same cloth. We think, oh I'll just fix this and that to make it reliable then use the crap out of it. Then the thought of well I might as well repair or replace the hydro pump, pto seal, brakes, tie rods, bearings, clutch, front pivot bushings etc: the list goes on. Then I say heck I may as well tear it down and do it right. It wont cost much more anyhow (you know it will cost more, your just in denial). Then in the middle of the project, (that's taken longer than you thought cause life got in the way) you ask yourself, what in the heck did I do this for? I could be or been using this thing by now or the whole time instead of creating a parts tractor.

Projects like this often take on a life of their own, and despite knowing better it's easy for one to fool themselves into believing it will cost much less than it really will, but despite knowing better we often choose to do it anyway. Overall, I can't really say that I regret my decision to restore my tractor, but do believe I could have made better decisions along the way. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Then with all people like us we have that sentimental bug hit us just in time. It takes our mind back to a simpler place and time (old rural wheat field or hay field with partly cloudy skies. Wind blowing lightly no worries, just you and that tractor. The smell of fresh cut grass, alfalfa, sage grass and the occasional bull thistle. The slight tinge of freshly greased parts with a whiff of rubber from the hot tire baking in the sun all combine to hit you), letting you know you are happy and living a great life.. A damned lucky person if you will. At that moment I'm then anxious to get going and get it done so I can get to that great place in my mind. All the while whistling dont worry be happy.(J/K) I for one knowing how difficult it is to work and document.

Being somewhat of a sentimental person myself, I can definitely relate to things that take me back to a simpler time or place. While conducting research about Massey Ferguson tractors I've learned much more about the past than I could have ever imagined, and as I work on restoring my own MF-135 tractor I often imagine what life must have been like for the people who built and used these older tractors. Much more personal memories of long-dead friends or family members often come to mind as well.

I hope you always do a build thread. There's such valuable info to be learned. Even though I'm a good mechanic I still learn new things. Little procedures or tips/tricks I didnt know before. Maybe a new product or new vendor. Plus I meet a new friend. Integrity and morals are not found very often. You have them and hope you stick around to keep us living in the past, present and future.

Learning new things is never a bad thing, and anyone who thinks they know it all is only fooling themselves. In my case, I rarely ask questions because I like finding the answers on my own, but I never stop learning if I can help it. In fact, I've recently learned one of the most valuable lessons of all... Take nothing for granted and enjoy life, while you still can.

Sorry if that song is now stuck in your head. LOL

Oh, and about that song. This is the last thing I ever imagined I'd be posting to this thread, but it somehow seems appropriate. Here's a video so everyone else can get it stuck in their heads too. :laughing:

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #518  
now thats funny

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #519  
MasseyWV,

I don't even own a Massey but have enjoyed your post. When complete and you are showing it off you can be proud of your accomplishment.
A few years back I picked up a 1950 something cub loboy for the local American legion baseball field. It had no clutch and needed some minor motor work. I pulled it into my garage in November split it to do the clutch and ended up going to town even new tires. The only thing I farmed out was a donated paint job. It was shiny and ready for the field for opening day.
6 months of playing almost every day after work.
The best memory my daughter was 14 at the time she was out there with me every day and named the cub "Betsy".
It is the cub in my picture.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #520  
If I ever restore my tractor I'm gonna have to buy a tractor to use until mine is done. I reckon I could barrow one. The problem with that is I like using my tractor at least once a week.