My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #521  
from masseywv"Don't get me wrong, I continue to have ample enthusiasm about the completion of my restoration project, and while I've shared a great deal of information during the course of this thread, I also believe that things could could have been much... better. Normally, I like to go into exquisite detail, but there are times when it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort so I often limit myself to posting much less information and/or updates than I might have done otherwise."

I know they must have a system that allows you to talk into a mic and it types for you. I have the same problem. It may not seem like it but I hate to type. LOL I think if I had one of these systems I wouldnt mind putting more info in some of my posts. It would probably cost to much for me though.

This might have a bad side to it. I can do some talking now. LOL:laughing: My posts might look like a novel.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
MasseyWV,

I don't even own a Massey but have enjoyed your post. When complete and you are showing it off you can be proud of your accomplishment.
A few years back I picked up a 1950 something cub loboy for the local American legion baseball field. It had no clutch and needed some minor motor work. I pulled it into my garage in November split it to do the clutch and ended up going to town even new tires. The only thing I farmed out was a donated paint job. It was shiny and ready for the field for opening day.
6 months of playing almost every day after work.
The best memory my daughter was 14 at the time she was out there with me every day and named the cub "Betsy".
It is the cub in my picture.

That's a nice looking cub and thanks for the compliment! :)

Restoring my tractor has been a very expensive and time consuming process, and when it's finally finished I'll be very relieved. The moment I'm looking forward to (and dreading) the most is starting the engine for the first time. No matter how well I've checked everything, I'll never know for sure until that moment arrives. Having rebuilt many engines before, I know that feeling all too well, but this is somehow different... it's more personal.

If I ever restore my tractor I'm gonna have to buy a tractor to use until mine is done. I reckon I could barrow one. The problem with that is I like using my tractor at least once a week.

Getting it done in a week might be pushing it, but doing it a little at a time might be feasible. In fact, if I decide to do another one, I'll do precisely that. Doing it all at once has certain advantages, but it can be somewhat overwhelming at times.

I know they must have a system that allows you to talk into a mic and it types for you. I have the same problem. It may not seem like it but I hate to type. LOL I think if I had one of these systems I wouldnt mind putting more info in some of my posts. It would probably cost to much for me though.

This might have a bad side to it. I can do some talking now. LOL:laughing: My posts might look like a novel.

You should see the stuff I haven't posted. I tend to be a little OCD about documenting things and probably have enough material to write an encyclopedia. :laughing:

The front grille assembly is coming along nicely. The lower pan and side panels are complete, and the front grille and access door have been straightened and partially sandblasted. Amazingly, the front grille looks great despite it having had several large dents. Only a few minor tasks need to be completed before I'll be able to give everything a coat of primer.

Then the real fun begins...

This morning I primed the lower pan and it looks great. Next I'll prime, the side panels followed by the grille itself. The primer takes forever to cure in cooler temperatures so I've begun baking small parts in an old oven I have in my garage just for that purpose. The oven is turned on and adjusted to it's lowest setting (about 200 degrees, maybe a little less) and the part(s) are baked for about an hour.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #525  
Getting it done in a week might be pushing it, but doing it a little at a time might be feasible. In fact, if I decide to do another one, I'll do precisely that. Doing it all at once has certain advantages, but it can be somewhat overwhelming at times.

what I meant was borrowing a tractor every week while waiting for mine to get done may be to much to ask from the owner of the tractor.

You should see the stuff I haven't posted. I tend to be a little OCD about documenting things and probably have enough material to write an encyclopedia. :laughing:

I can totally relate. Encyclopedia... LOL. I'll bet you could.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #526  

what I meant was borrowing a tractor every week while waiting for mine to get done may be to much to ask from the owner of the tractor.

You should see the stuff I haven't posted. I tend to be a little OCD about documenting things and probably have enough material to write an encyclopedia. :[/QUOTE said:
:laughing

I can totally relate. Encyclopedia... LOL. I'll bet you could.

With the exception of the engine, you could restore your tractor a little at a time. I was joking when I mentioned that getting it restored within a week would be pushing it, but forgot (bad habit) the emoticon. Then again, I suppose one could do it within a week, if they had enough help. :laughing:

Tonight, I finished priming all parts of the grille assembly, and began repairing minor damage to the nose cone assembly. Afterwards, I'll begin preparing the hood and side skirts for primer, followed by the dash assembly which has already been sanded and only needs a coat of primer.

When the weather warms up, I plan to paint the tractor using two coats of Acrylic enamel with hardener, lightly sanded between coats as necessary. The dash and hood assemblies will then be wet sanded using 1500 grit sandpaper and buffed with polishing compound for a final high-gloss surface finish.

Other types of enamel paint I considered and rejected were as follows...

• Urethane (1k): Can cause the Alkyd enamel paint originally used on the tractor to lift unless it's stripped to bare metal or sealed with an adequate sealer prior to painting. The original painted surface, assuming it's in good condition and properly sanded, is one of the best surfaces one can use as a base for new paint, so stripping it to bare metal is a waste of time.
  • Urethane (2k): Same as above, but also requires clear coat.
  • Alkyd: Old paint technology that eventually dulls or fades due to ultraviolet light contained in sunlight. Also has very long drying times.
  • Lacquer: Old paint technology that eventually dulls or fades due to ultraviolet light contained in sunlight. Exposure to alcohol or ethanol contained in most modern gasoline blends rapidly causes the paint to become cloudy and/or come off completely. Regular gasoline can also damage it.

Tonight, I finished sanding and priming the dash assembly. Previously I had planned to finish other parts first, but since it was almost ready for primer anyway, I decided go ahead and finish the dash assembly so the primer could be drying.

On another note... Some of you may have noticed that lately I've slacked off on posting pictures. Preparing and uploading pictures to post is a time-consuming process that tends to take away the suspense. Don't worry, I'll continue posting plenty of pictures, only now it will be more of a "big reveal" type of thing. Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil everyone. :laughing:

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #530  
Tonight, I finished sanding and priming the dash assembly. Previously I had planned to finish other parts first, but since it was almost ready for primer anyway, I decided go ahead and finish the dash assembly so the primer could be drying.

On another note... Some of you may have noticed that lately I've slacked off on posting pictures. Preparing and uploading pictures to post is a time-consuming process that tends to take away the suspense. Don't worry, I'll continue posting plenty of pictures, only now it will be more of a "big reveal" type of thing. Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil everyone. :laughing:

Besides, I think most people know what a primered piece of metal looks like:D. We just want to see red paint anyhow.:laughing: