My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
The dash, hood, and grille assemblies have been primed and test fitted, where I need to perform a few very minor tweaks before moving on to sand and prime the front axle and steering components. Seeing the hood back on my tractor for the first time since early last year is a huge milestone for this project. Even with everything being a uniform red oxide (primer) color, I can already tell that this is going to be one sweet looking tractor when it's complete.

Other miscellaneous tasks which need to be completed include painting and baking the manifold (previously primed), assembling and adjusting the carburetor, cleaning up the generator/tachometer cable, repairing the OEM wiring harness, and rebuilding the starter (if required) then priming/painting it. I'm still on the fence about having a black starter and generator, but after seeing a fully restored MF-135 with both of them painted black, I'm confident that the look will be to my liking. The ignition coil and OEM voltage regulator were previously sanded and painted black as well.

Lastly, I need to purchase new rear tubes/rims and install the tires/tubes on the rims, then sandblast the front rims and paint them. However, these will be among the final tasks I complete. Except of course for the decals, which will be applied later in the summer after the paint has had time to fully cure.

Big change is on the horizon.

Some of you may recall that I've been considering the possibility of creating a blog to better organize and share my experiences and other information gained while fully restoring my Massey Ferguson 135 tractor. Tonight, as I was working on my tractor I finally decided that I'm going to do precisely that.

However, I've decided to take my blog idea to the next level because testing revealed that blogs are far too limited for what I have in mind. Forum threads share the same issue, in addition to having other "problems" that are beyond my control. When it comes to truly presenting information in an organized and editable fashion, a full data-driven website is the only truly viable option which will eliminate the "problems" and give me full control of the information I present.

I've also decided that I'm going to write a restoration guide, only it will not be limited to one guide. It will be a series of guides. Authoring a book will be a new experience for me, but I'm sure I can figure it out. That said, when this restoration project is complete I'll also be purchasing and fully restoring a Massey Ferguson 135 tractor with a Perkins AD3.152 diesel engine, because I can't very well write a book about something I haven't actually experienced first hand. After that, I may even do it again with another tractor... possibly a Ford.

As previously mentioned, I've accumulated vast amounts of information and experience during the year it has taken me to get my tractor to this point, where sharing information with others and perhaps even having some fun along the way has always been my primary goal. It will take a long time (possibly years) to implement all of my plans, but it will be done... one step at a time.

In the mean time, I'll continue to share my progress here until my current restoration project is complete.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #543  
Sounds like a good plan.Get those books online in an Ebook and you should be able to make a decent profit.There's quite a few MF 135 tractors out there.A service manual would really do well,I think.Good luck and us posted.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #544  
Massey, You know how messed up the service manual is for 135s. Info on this machine is scattered and incomplete. So I await a decent guide so count me in as your first customer buy I want mine signed.:D

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #545  
Massey,
I'm glad to see you're back! I realize that uploading images is a PITA but I'm looking forward to seeing some.

Sounds like a good plan.Get those books online in an Ebook and you should be able to make a decent profit.There's quite a few MF 135 tractors out there.A service manual would really do well,I think.Good luck and us posted.

Despite the cost savings over printed books, I'm somewhat leery of electronic formats because of the ease of unauthorized distribution. However, it remains a possibility, largely due to the reduced production costs.

Massey, You know how messed up the service manual is for 135s. Info on this machine is scattered and incomplete. So I await a decent guide so count me in as your first customer buy I want mine signed.:D

The service manuals are a mess, where basic information about the cooling system, oil pump, and other critical areas is either incomplete or completely absent. Information can be found, but it's often inaccurate, poorly described, or worse.

Then there is the internet, but we all know how that goes... :laughing:

Yesterday, I took advantage of the warm weather and managed to spend some quality time with my MF-135 tractor. For the first time in months, I was able to work with my garage door open.

I sanded and primed the front axle, then sanded and primed the lower fender support brackets. When the primer on the front axle has had sufficient time to dry, I'll press the new axle pivot pin bushing into it. I also begun stripping the old paint off each of the radius rods and should have them primed today. That only leaves the axle extensions and the drag links, before the steering components will be primed and ready for paint.

9qe8t3.jpg

Only a few minor details remain before I'll be ready to paint my tractor. However, I'm in no hurry because the weather conditions (temperature and humidity) must be right or I will not shoot paint. I learned that lesson the hard way back in the early 90's when I rushed a custom paint job on a conversion van... never again.

In the mean time, I have plenty of other new "projects" to keep me busy. Oh, and I may have a lead on a decent Massey 135 diesel tractor... for the future.

Last edited:
I also begun stripping the old paint off each of the radius rods and should have them primed today.

The radius rods have been sanded and primed. Next up, the axle extensions.

BTW: Just in case anyone may not be aware of it, I recently created an Unofficial User's Guide for the AGCO Parts Books website and posted it to the Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating forum. A link to it is in my sig, but here is a link for your convenience.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...273609-agco-parts-books-unofficial-users.html

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #550  
Thks for the grill assembly pics. You have saved me a bunch of time and research. My '65 assembly is in worse shape in some areas and I was trying to figure out which way to go, replace or repair. Again thks for your efforts