My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
Now that I've got the tractor torn down about as far as I want to go (for now), I've begun assembling a parts list (with MF part numbers). All of the local dealers either don't have everything I need, or want a small fortune for the parts, so I'm considering online sources. However, I'm having trouble locating one that is trustworthy and sells quality parts for a reasonable price. Please don't suggest eBay because I refuse to use it or PayPal. Suggestions anyone?

Also, I haven't got the parts manual yet, so if anyone has one that covers the Massey 135 tractor (US model) with a Continental Z-145 engine, and would be willing to assist me with parts diagrams and/or numbers, I'd be very grateful.

ETA: Nevermind about the parts manual. I just ordered one because most of the websites that sell tractor parts are a train wreck of a mess, and unless you have the exact part number, you're mostly SOL.

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #82  
Now that I've got the tractor torn down about as far as I want to go (for now), I've begun assembling a parts list (with MF part numbers). All of the local dealers either don't have everything I need, or want a small fortune for the parts, so I'm considering online sources. However, I'm having trouble locating one that is trustworthy and sells quality parts for a reasonable price. Please don't suggest eBay because I refuse to use it or PayPal. Suggestions anyone?

Also, I haven't got the parts manual yet, so if anyone has one that covers the Massey 135 tractor (US model) with a Continental Z-145 engine, and would be willing to assist me with parts diagrams and/or numbers, I'd be very grateful.

ETA: Nevermind about the parts manual. I just ordered one because most of the websites that sell tractor parts are a train wreck of a mess, and unless you have the exact part number, you're mostly SOL.

I've order simple bolt-on parts for my 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe from Steiner

products,135 (Massey Ferguson) on Steiner Tractor Parts br1:masseyferguson resulttype:products&isort=globalpop&method=and&view=grid

Steiner also carries rebuild kits for carb, engine seals, etc. No internal engine or tranny parts.

I guess you've been burned by eBAy/PayPal. I've bought a lot of stuff off eBay including a 2004 Isuzu NPR/EFI stakebed truck (8x14 ft bed, 6.0L GMC LQ4 V-8 gas engine, 49500 miles, $11K) with no problems.

I've order simple bolt-on parts for my 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe from Steiner

products,135 (Massey Ferguson) on Steiner Tractor Parts br1:masseyferguson resulttype:products&isort=globalpop&method=and&view=grid

Steiner also carries rebuild kits for carb, engine seals, etc. No internal engine or tranny parts.

Thanks for suggesting Steiner, it's one of the places I've been considering, but like you mentioned, they don't seem to carry any internal engine parts, except for a few gasket sets. It looks like I'm going to have no choice but to order my parts from multiple sources because noone I've found seems to have everything I need, and Steiner has good prices on many things so I may give them a shot.

I've also been considering Yesterdays Tractors, but their website leaves a LOT to be desired, so I may simply wait and call after I have all the part numbers.

I guess you've been burned by eBAy/PayPal. I've bought a lot of stuff off eBay including a 2004 Isuzu NPR/EFI stakebed truck (8x14 ft bed, 6.0L GMC LQ4 V-8 gas engine, 49500 miles, $11K) with no problems.

While I've never been seriously burned by eBay/PayPal, a few close calls were enough to cause me to never use them again. It's just too risky.

Today, I found a complete used rocker shaft assembly for $150 so I took a chance and ordered it after they assured me that it was in good condition and I could return it if not satisfied. Refurbishing the old one would have cost about $120-$150 by the time I ordered a new rocker shaft and bushings, then had the old bushings pressed out and the new ones pressed in and machined to fit the new rocker shaft. If the used one is not in good useable condition, I will return it and proceed with my original plan. It's a gamble, but I think it's worth the risk of having to pay return shipping if I'm not satisfied.

There is also a possibility that they may have a good used manifold heat shield for $30 but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

The company I ordered the rocker assembly from didn't have a manifold heat shield in stock, so I've contacted a few more leads about obtaining a good used one and should know more tomorrow.

As I wait for the parts manual and various parts to arrive, I've begun to turn my attention to other items that are going to need checked out and/or rebuilt. For the moment, I'm looking for parts (bearings, brushes, etc...) I'll need to rebuild my tractor's 12v Delco-Remy generator, and it seems I can get everything I'll need for about $15-$20 which is much cheaper than having it rebuilt. It charges fine and may or may not need rebuilt, but I figured that I'd go ahead and replace everything, especially the brushes, when I take it apart.

Most people tend to replace starters and alternators, or send them to a shop to have them repaired or rebuilt, but I always make all my own repairs. It's really not that difficult, if you know what you're doing. In my case, being a former electronics technician helps. :)

Here is a link with detailed information, including diagrams and schematics, for Delco-Remy generators and regulators.

Delco-Remy Generator/Regulator Systems

Here are links to PDF's containing highly detailed original OEM Delco-Remy service bulletins, including diagrams and schematics, for their generators and regulators.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-115.pdf
http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-116.pdf
http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-118.pdf

Here is a diagram of a typical Delco-Remy generator's internal components.

18m64j.gif

Last edited:
While examining exploded view parts diagrams and making a list of part numbers I need so I can purchase the correct parts, I accidentally discovered the reason the rocker arms and rocker shaft were worn so badly, someone had assembled them incorrectly. While I can only speculate if it was done at the factory, or during a later repair, the end result was the same.

It's almost ironic really. Someone assembles the rocker assembly incorrectly, thus restricting oil flow, then as a result of restricted oil flow, the valve lash begins to increase. Finally, after the clearance between the rocker arms and the rocker shaft has increased due to excessive wear, oil flow begins to appear normal again because it's being squirted everywhere but where it needs to go. The excessive friction caused by a poorly lubricated rotating rocker shaft also explains why the cotter pins at each end of the rocker shaft had also failed, allowing the retaining washers and springs to fall off. The irony is that improper oil flow also caused the valve guides to wear prematurely, leading to a smoking problem, which is caused by excessive oil flowing down the valve stems.

1444nra.jpg

Everything leads back to a small part that doesn't seem to be very important, until you see the results of it's omission. When the rocker shaft assembly was put together, a small retaining pin (3/32" X 5/8") was omitted. The pin is supposed to hold the rocker shaft in alignment with the rocker shaft support posts, with the oil holes facing the valves, but leaving the pin out allowed the shaft to move freely within the posts and restrict oil flow, causing excessive wear.

For those who may be wondering, I'm 100% certain the retaining pin was omitted, because I'm always extremely careful to note the location of all parts during disassembly, and the retaining pin was not there. Just to be certain, I also examined the hole the retaining pin was supposed to go into with a magnifying glass, and darkened oil deposits (varnish) clearly indicated that the pin had ben omitted.

To give you an idea of just how small and seemingly insignificant the retaining pin is, here is a portion of an exploded view diagram for the valve train of my tractors Continental Z-145 engine. The pin is part number 42, shown in red.

30c0raa.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I found a used manifold heat shield for a great price, and I finally managed to get the last two fender bolts loose. It only took a week of alternating between heating the bolts with a torch, soaking them with PB Blaster, and using my impact wrench on them, but the remaining fender is off the tractor. Thankfully, I'm both patient and persistent.

Last edited:
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #88  
MasseyWV said:

I keep hearing you talk down on the use of eBay and PayPal. Sounds like you've had a bad experience that has soured your use of either. I've found some really good leads thru eBay to some rock solid sellers willing to go the extra mile to help you.

I hear you talk about being SOL without part numbers and mentioned numerous times you have manuals on order.

Try this site you'll like it and you can print part numbers and exploded diagrams to match. Use this info to track down the elusive parts you speak of. I have one contact in North Carolina that can get me just about any parts listed with AGCO.

Try this site and log in using the guest option.
Www.agcopartsbooks.com

Regards. -robert

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #89  
MasseyWV said:
The company I ordered the rocker assembly from didn't have a manifold heat shield in stock, so I've contacted a few more leads about obtaining a good used one and should know more tomorrow.

As I wait for the parts manual and various parts to arrive, I've begun to turn my attention to other items that are going to need checked out and/or rebuilt. For the moment, I'm looking for parts (bearings, brushes, etc...) I'll need to rebuild my tractor's 12v Delco-Remy generator, and it seems I can get everything I'll need for about $15-$20 which is much cheaper than having it rebuilt. It charges fine and may or may not need rebuilt, but I figured that I'd go ahead and replace everything, especially the brushes, when I take it apart.

Most people tend to replace starters and alternators, or send them to a shop to have them repaired or rebuilt, but I always make all my own repairs. It's really not that difficult, if you know what you're doing. In my case, being a former electronics technician helps. :)

Here is a link with detailed information, including diagrams and schematics, for Delco-Remy generators and regulators.

Delco-Remy Generator/Regulator Systems

Here are links to PDF's containing highly detailed original OEM Delco-Remy service bulletins, including diagrams and schematics, for their generators and regulators.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-115.pdf
http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-116.pdf
http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-118.pdf

Here is a diagram of a typical Delco-Remy generator's internal components.

I thought you where going with an alternator. That's What I'm currently working on and replacing the ammeter with a voltmeter made for tractors with a 2" whole. I'm also going to put a petronix electronic ignition kit. Screw those points and condensers. I quit doing that stuff back in the sixties. The choice to use an alternator is I'm adding caution lights and better lighting.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #90  
MasseyWV said:
Today, I found a used manifold heat shield for a great price, and I finally managed to get the last two fender bolts loose. It only took a week of alternating between heating the bolts with a torch, soaking them with PB Blaster, using my impact wrench on them, but the remaining fender is off the tractor. Thankfully, I'm both patient and persistent.

Where did you find the heat shield?