Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
BTW. Has anyone heard the news that Sparex has been aquired by AGCO?

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #132  
Never used any sites before, I'm a bit lost, you seem right keen tractor people. I don't write so well.

Pat

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #133  
Kid, Hubby and I were at a very large Ag show this week and noticed in the Agco building they had a small section of Sparex parts available on display.

:tractor:--MasseyLady

Kid, Hubby and I were at a very large Ag show this week and noticed in the Agco building they had a small section of Sparex parts available on display.

That's great. BTW Sparex was recently aquired by AGCO and will do nothing but inhance AGCO's product line. On my left fender had some rusted thru areas and instead of trying to repair it I decided to just replace it. I've heard alot of good things about Sparex and I now know why.

View attachment 281506 View attachment 281507

I compared my original to this one and they where identical in physical size and weight. A very good value for either replacement or restoration.:thumbsup:

Replacing the PTO seals

I'm getting the tranny body ready to shoot some paint on it and had to address one area first. I've had a steady PTO leak since day one and bought new seals three months ago. So now it's time to clean up that messy rear end. :laughing:

The kit I bought, the inner seal looks to be not the greatest quality but we'll see how long it last. The hardest part of this little project was addressing the bolts that had nuts on them. The bolts where somewhat rounded on the ends. I bought new nuts and washers. The archor check chain has two bolts. one end course (bolts to rear end body.. threads on both ends), and one end fine thread The fine thread on the outside. They where boogered up pretty bad. I had to take a hacksaw and trim them off a fraction just to get them to except a bolt.

Back to the PTO. After removing the check chain assembly, leaves three bolts that hold the PTO seal retainer in. I read somewhere here to use a sliding hammer to pull out the PTO shaft. I also remembered someone said to engage your PTO which locks everything in place before pulling the shaft. This is a MUST DO!! I read also someone picking out the retainer and not pulling the shaft. Too difficult. So back to plan A. Pull the shaft. But I don't have a sliding hammer, or at least I used to, till I moved. So I made one. Worked like a champ.

Cleaned everything up, put the outer oil ring on. Pressed in the inner seal till it bottomed out on the inside. This is the cheap seal I was talking about. Made of thin metal, cup shaped. Cup is pressed in opposite the outer seal. After pressing it in with my vise I gently tapped around the circle with a large flat head bolt till the seal bottomed out evenly. The PTO shaft looked ok. No pitted areas. Oiled up the retainer and carefully pushed it on the shaft till it bottomed out.

My oil was a bit dingy so it needed changing. Off to the reclaimation center tommorro. Check out my ghetto shaft puller. Be nice on the comments. :D

View attachment 281510

This picture show the rounded bolts holding the check chain. Another PITA to fix.

View attachment 281511

Here I've cleaned up the PTO retainer bolts and removed the check chains. Next is pulling the shaft.

View attachment 281512

The PTO shaft has a hole all the way thry at the end.. Handy. Mine was plugged like most are. Cleaned that out and inserted a phillips screwdriver. Note: make sure your PTO is engaged before pulling shaft. I used a small piece of rope and made a loop.Put my fixall hammer on the other end. With a few gentle snatch pulls and shaft popped out. Now knock out the old inner seal and press in the new one and install. Clean everything real good and oil everything when reassembling.

Now to refill the tranny.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #136  
That's great. BTW Sparex was recently aquired by AGCO and will do nothing but inhance AGCO's product line. On my left fender had some rusted thru areas and instead of trying to repair it I decided to just replace it. I've heard alot of good things about Sparex and I now know why.

View attachment 281506 View attachment 281507

I compared my original to this one and they where identical in physical size and weight. A very good value for either replacement or restoration.:thumbsup:

This is good to know about the Sparex parts, thanks:)

Oh, one question, we have noticed that it seems, and I see it also on your "replacing the PTO seals," photos, that most older Massey's do not have a PTO cover. Is this
common? We even noticed at the AG show they had several older Masseys' at the show including a MF135 diesel and it didn't have a PTO cover either. Just curious.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #137  
G,Day Massey lady .
All Massey tractors have pto covers from the thirty five up they are all the same,it is a good idea to have one and keep it on when the pto is not being used ,for safety sake and to protect the pto seal .

Hutch.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #138  
G,Day Massey lady .
All Massey tractors have pto covers from the thirty five up they are all the same,it is a good idea to have one and keep it on when the pto is not being used ,for safety sake and to protect the pto seal .

Hutch.

Thanks Hutch! Hubby and I totally agree, we just see so many missing and was wondering if this is pretty common.

Sorry Kid for the thread drift, we will step back out of the way, thanks for the info you are providing here :)

MasseyLady said:
This is good to know about the Sparex parts, thanks:)

Oh, one question, we have noticed that it seems, and I see it also on your "replacing the PTO seals," photos, that most older Massey's do not have a PTO cover. Is this
common? We even noticed at the AG show they had several older Masseys' at the show including a MF135 diesel and it didn't have a PTO cover either. Just curious.

Although the PTO cover has a function, most where thrown away or lost because of the hassle of taking it off and on when using it regularly. What I see missing alot as well is the guard that goes around the PTO which could prevent alot of needless repairs by keeping long grasses from getting caught in the PTO when it's being used. I'M going to look for one to put on mine.

Let the painting begin

I got the body prepped today to lay down some Flint Grey Metalllic paint on Ole Sally. It was time to break in the Harbour Freight HVLP cheapo gun. I bought some mixing pails and approximated my mixture. Thinning calls for 4:1 and a dash of hardener in the 10 oz holder. I mixed it up about a gun full maybe a little less and let it sit for about twenty to thirty minutes as recommended for the hardener to that reacting. I dropped in about four or five 1/4: nuts in the gun to agitate as I went along. I also bought one of those HF stands that hold the gun and a paper filter while you fill the gun with paint.

I took a pair of vise grips and clamped that stand to the tractor so I could set it down safely. WOW what a difference the hardener made. :cool2: There's some places on the rearend that feel like glass and looks like a cut and polish finish. I'm going to add one more coat and then move on to the red. It looks fantastic compared to MG Grey. BTW the hardener added, it was tackyless in two hours. Mind you it's still soft but no longer sticky.

Here's how it turned out. Keep in mind this is the first coat.

View attachment 282254 View attachment 282256 View attachment 282257 View attachment 282258

Saw these honkies flying overhead. Just glad they wheren't on a bombing run.. :laughing:

View attachment 282261