Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
BUBBAX said:
your mf 135 is beautifully restored.. great project and schooling us with your tractor. congrats on your stand up leadership and recent award.
happy tractoring and master harry ferguson, would be ploughing with... the kid

Thanks Bubba. It looks more like a skint rat than a tractor. As soon as I get the sheet metal back on, it will look like a classic once again. -robert

Customizing the new seat

Just finished up the new adjustable seat with spring ride. I originally saw Mike476's tractor a really liked that seat. I found one at a good price and mounted it. It felt great. It looked great on Mike's 135. He has alot of black in his custom paint job. I was thinking of a way to paint mine to look like MF135 seat but slightly different. I broke the seat down to just a few parts and went at it. The pictures say it all. Like or dislike.. Comments welcome.

View attachment 284819
This is the original seat I bought.

View attachment 284820 View attachment 284821 View attachment 284822 View attachment 284823

View attachment 284824 View attachment 284827 View attachment 284828

The grey is Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint (HVP109 Medium Grey).

The red is Massey Ferguson red with same paint for all the rest of the tractors red.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #173  
I'm guessing that the slots in the center of the frame will sit OK with the 2 bolts holding on the original seat??? BobG in VA

I'm guessing that the slots in the center of the frame will sit OK with the 2 bolts holding on the original seat??? BobG in VA

Yes it does Bob. Fits really good. I 've already had it mounted on the tractor for fitment early on. It has several patterns on the bottom I', assuming for different tractors.

View attachment 284945
I'm using the center slots which match up with the original seat mounting studs.

View attachment 284946
The whole seat breaks down to a few parts. The brace which I left black is easily removed so I could paint the backs.

Manuals are not created equal

When I first got my tractor I knew I'd need to work on it at one time or another. Thus I would needs some manuals. Me being cheap or should I say frugal with my money I looked online. I bought one of those CD's on eBay and quickly found it was lacking in many areas. I would follow threads here and try to solve them with my nifty CD manuals. I'd run into wall every time. That's when I discovered AGCO Parts Books which gave me tons of insight on the parts inside my tractor.

I decided it was time to get the source manuals from Agco. The first thing I noticed is the parts book has better printed illustrations than what's displayed online. Using the parts book and the service manual together one can do just about anything needed. The reason I'm writing this is we are allways referencing the manual when giving advice or troubleshooting a problem. I wanted to show what you get for your money. Mind you, these manuals are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

The manuals comes with a very nice expandable binder that will also hold your operators manual if you so desire to add it to the binder. I've had these manuals now for a few months and when I hear the technical jargon being tossed around I now can visualize what they are talking about. This site is kinda like a classroom for tractors. The Wikipedia of tractors. Without the school books one can get lost really quick. Do yourself a favor and spring for the manuals and save yourself alot of grief. The manuals can be found at www.agcopubs.com Happy :tractor: ing. -robert

View attachment 285096 View attachment 285097 View attachment 285098 View attachment 285099View attachment 285100 View attachment 285101 View attachment 285102

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #176  
Yes it does Bob. Fits really good. I 've already had it mounted on the tractor for fitment early on. It has several patterns on the bottom I', assuming for different tractors.

View attachment 284945
I'm using the center slots which match up with the original seat mounting studs.

View attachment 284946

The whole seat breaks down to a few parts. The brace which I left black is easily removed so I could paint the backs.

I went by TSC today and picked up the same seat. It was the last one they had...it was the display model...the guy said there were not instructions in the box and they threw the box away...it appears to have enough adjustments to have a set of instructions...???? what say you? BobG in VA

BobG_in_VA said:
I went by TSC today and picked up the same seat. It was the last one they had...it was the display model...the guy said there were not instructions in the box and they threw the box away...it appears to have enough adjustments to have a set of instructions...???? what say you? BobG in VA

The only drawback to this seat on a 135 frame is the seat will not slide back to full travel due to it hitting the housing. It"s good enough for me. The old seat didn't have any adjustment per say. one of the nuts was hard to remove and the bolt actually screwed out with the nut still on it. I used some teflon tape on the threads puting that one back in to make sure it's waterproof.

I really don't remember whether mine came with directions. I had to put the seat and back on it. It breaks down rather easy. Just don't undo the springs. They would be a bear to get back in place. I took the welting off both seat and back before I painted the front and back.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #178  
The seat looks great. Painting it to match sure makes it look like it belongs on a 40+ year old tractor.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #179  
Customizing the new seat

Just finished up the new adjustable seat with spring ride. I originally saw Mike476's tractor a really liked that seat. I found one at a good price and mounted it. It felt great. It looked great on Mike's 135. He has alot of black in his custom paint job. I was thinking of a way to paint mine to look like MF135 seat but slightly different. I broke the seat down to just a few parts and went at it. The pictures say it all. Like or dislike.. Comments welcome.

View attachment 284819
This is the original seat I bought.

View attachment 284820 View attachment 284821 View attachment 284822 View attachment 284823

View attachment 284824 View attachment 284827 View attachment 284828

The grey is Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint (HVP109 Medium Grey).

The red is Massey Ferguson red with same paint for all the rest of the tractors red.

Kid, curious to know about The grey is Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint (HVP109 Medium Grey). Can you describe what it's like? Is it easy to apply? How well will it hold up?

:tractor:--MasseyLady

ML, It sprays just like paint. It suppose to have vinyl mixed in so it will flex. I saw a video "Two men and a garage" series that used it on black vinyl. They used a promoter prior to spraying it with color. The can doesn't call for a promoter (suppose to create a better bond), so I didn't use one on mine.

I did clean the vinyl really good with a degreasing soap such as dishwashing liquid. Hand dried it well. Let it air dry for few hours before attempting to paint it. I used a tack rag to remove any dust. My first coat was light mist and let dry. Did that about three times. Then the last two coat where a bit heavier. This made it have a good even look.

I tried to scrub it after a couple of days to see if I could rub any paint off. It passed the test. The best part if and when it does wear off, then get a can, clean it and touch it up or totally repaint it. The backside is painted with rattle can MF Red I bought at TSC. I scuffed it with a scotch bright pad before painting. I masked off areas I couldn't justify setting up the spray gun for such a small job.

Searching on the net I did find a grey vinyl seat just like mine, but it cost more than what I paid. I do like to red frame over the black on mine. I've been busy prefitting my sheetmetal together and waiting for a good weather window to shoot some paint. Take care. -robert