Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
believe it or not that screen is a 10 micron screen, as good as a fuel injection filter.
I took an eyeloupe and looked at both the vertical tube mesh and the glass bowl mesh and they look to be the same. Along with a high grade inline filter I'm using it should keep my carb pretty clean.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #242  
I ordered some custom Acrylic Enamel from Sherwin Williams and the sheen just wasn't to my liking. So I'm giving it about three coats of clear acrylic lacquer and wet sanding before each coat.

Alternatively, modern single stage urethane paints can offer a higher sheen and greater durability than Acrylic enamel paints, but they tend to be rather "hot" and can potentially cause the older alkyd enamel paint commonly used on the Massey 135 tractors to lift unless the parts are stripped to bare metal or prepped with a suitable sealer first.

Last edited:
Alternatively, modern single stage urethane paints can offer a higher sheen and greater durability than Acrylic enamel paints, but they tend to be rather "hot" and can potentially cause the older alkyd enamel paint commonly used on the Massey 135 tractors to lift unless the parts are stripped to bare metal or prepped with a suitable sealer first.

You assume I'm painting over the old paint. WRONG.. Did I mention I soda blasted the parts. Small parts in a blaster cabinet using aluminum oxide. Did some shopping. Did I mention I upgraded my compressor? Guess I didn't. Not my first rodeo Tom.

Here's a couple of pictures of my headlights with only two coats of lacquer on them. I'll 1500 wet sand these and give them one more coat.

View attachment 304530 View attachment 304531

Here's the right fender with only one coat of clear lacquer on it. No bondo here. All dents tapped out. Two more cuts and spray and these will look like new money.

View attachment 304532

The Kid..

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #244  

You assume I'm painting over the old paint. WRONG.. Did I mention I soda blasted the parts. Small parts in a blaster cabinet using aluminum oxide. Did some shopping. Did I mention I upgraded my compressor? Guess I didn't. Not my first rodeo Tom.

What's with the attitude? I assumed nothing and was merely offering a suggestion. :confused2:

What's with the attitude? I assumed nothing and was merely offering a suggestion. :confused2:

No additude James,, but your mind reading skills needs work. Why would I need your suggestion when it's already painted and looks great. I was pointing out there is no reason for your comment other than you assuming I was painting wrong. You paint your tractor. I'll paint mine. You see, you are clueless as to how I did mine and made an assumption. I did explain I was using a different paint. You however had to make a point your method or your explanation was better. The end results speak for itself Tom. The old saying. "A picture is worth a thousand words". BTW did I mention no BONDO USED. C-ya. -robert

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #246  
Too Shiney

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #247  
No additude James,, but your mind reading skills needs work. Why would I need your suggestion when it's already painted and looks great. I was pointing out there is no reason for your comment other than you assuming I was painting wrong. You paint your tractor. I'll paint mine. You see, you are clueless as to how I did mine and made an assumption. I did explain I was using a different paint. You however had to make a point your method or your explanation was better. The end results speak for itself Tom. The old saying. "A picture is worth a thousand words". BTW did I mention no BONDO USED. C-ya. -robert

I'm sorry you feel that way, but you're mistaken. As I'm sure you're aware, I'll soon be painting my tractor and have been debating whether to use Acrylic enamel (current plan) or single stage Urethane. After reading your post about Acrylic enamel not having great sheen I decided to mention single stage Urethane for the benefit of others, so that they may have alternate information available should they decide to use it. It's no different than anything I might have said in response to a thread or post from anyone else, including my own.

It's no secret that you and I have had our differences, and after seemingly-polite interactions we've had in a few recent forum threads I'd assumed that those differences were no longer an issue with you but can clearly see that I was mistaken. Has it never occurred to you that our restoration threads could compliment each other rather than compete with each other, for the benefit of not just us but everyone? This isn't a contest and there is no need for us to be enemies.

BTW: Note that I didn't feel the need to resort to calling you names like "James" or "Tom" while using a sarcastic tone because I no longer have room for such things in my life.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #249  
I had to put on my shades. :cool:

BTW: Note that I didn't feel the need to resort to calling you names like "James" or "Tom" while using a sarcastic tone because I no longer have room for such things in my life.

People is here name call me all the time it's ROBERT if you've forgotten. It's also in my signature. The thing is [fill in name], I don't know your name. You told me once in a PM, then denied it. So..... Not trying to be sarcastic. Please don't teach class in my thread.

BTW it's getting crowded referring to you as Massey. We have several that could use that term. You mentioned my courteous behavior in another thread. Yes I was. Take that at face value. To don't however school another member in his/her own build thread unless he/she solicits opinions. That is manners Mr.Man.

Any future comments from you please take it to PM.

Last edited: