Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #311  
As Paul Harvey used to say.

"Now you know the rest of the story" -kid[/QUOTE]

This is Paul Harvey, good day, Stand by for News.
Nice looking tractor. In many ways I think people cripple them selves doing 100% factory resto, if you can make improvements or simplification do it. Looks good.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #312  
You sure your tractor temp should be 135? what is your thermostat setting?

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
You sure your tractor temp should be 135? what is your thermostat setting?

Murf, No I'm not sure. I've searched manuals and so far came up zero as to the operating temperature. With my infrared thermometer after about ten minutes the temp at both top and bottom of radiator and measuring the metal hose input and output the tractor stayed around 132 - 137 degrees. Don't know if there is a thermostat in it or not. I questioned my water temp gauge. Pulled it and placed in boiling water to validate it. The post above shows the results. I'm going to clean out the mounting hole for the bulb sensor to make sure it's not just jammed into any crud where water can't get to it. I have read that thermostats run a bit hotter than I've stated. I'm still digging for info to validate operation temperature. -kid

As Paul Harvey used to say.

"Now you know the rest of the story" -kid

This is Paul Harvey, good day, Stand by for News.
Nice looking tractor. In many ways I think people cripple them selves doing 100% factory resto, if you can make improvements or simplification do it. Looks good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Paul. I just wanted to clean mine up and add a few personal touches to it. I don't want a show tractor. I need to use it. I do enjoy tinkering with it. :drink: -kid

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #315  
My book shows a stat but not what temp it is. I would guess at least 165 on temp.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #316  
836000M91 is the part# for the kit.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #318  
At least 160deg and more likely 180deg would be what to expect. My 165 with a new T/stat won't get up to temp without working it about 15 minutes, I "assume" because of the big radiator.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #319  
I still had my old one from my 135 when I rebuilt it in 2009 and it was a 160 degree.

I still had my old one from my 135 when I rebuilt it in 2009 and it was a 160 degree.

As I suspected guys. It didn't have a thermostat in it. When I bought it, it didn't have the heat shield on the manifold. That manifold puts out around 500+ degrees of heat. The external fuel filter was close to it. Can you say vapor lock. I just bet the previous owner thought it was overheating and pulled the themostat out thinking that would solve the problem. At that time I repositioned the metal bulb type fuel filter and it never stalled on me again. Seeing what the heat shield did, I found one at a salvage yard and put it on. I put new gauges in and noticed the temp gauge never coming off the peg. I thought the gauge was faulty. Not unusual coming from India. I did the boiling water test and found it still working but considerably low in reading. I have an oil gauge displaying the same symtoms. I know the pressure was good with the old gauge. The new gauge comes off the peg about a 1/4". I've got a old hot rod oil gauge I'm going to compare to. I may go buy a oil pessure test kit to be on the safe side.
I'm going to order a 160 degree thermostat with gasket tonight and put it back like it should be. -kid