Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #41  
[
An issue brought up by MasseyVW about heat shielding the fuel tank or lack of heat shielding. In his case and mine the shield was missing. It must have been one of the nuisance parts guys take off and threw away..

-robert

Sounds like what you have planned with the heat shield and re-routing of the filter should solve your problem. Having replaced the manifold gasket on mine I understand why someone may have become frustrated with the heat shield, it can be a bit of a pain to install but it is a necessary evil.

I wish I was home, I'd take a better photo of the shield for you to see how it is mounted. In the attached photo if you zoom you'll see the shield is mounted near the air filter at one point to where the tractor is split, and up around the top of the manifold. If I remember correctly there were three of the upper manifold bolts that are used as attachment points. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate, no compound bends to worry about.

Sounds like what you have planned will work as well, just thought a pic of what the original on mine looked like might prove useful.

Attachments

• MF 135 011.jpg
    MF 135 011.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 376
   / Refurbishing my Z145 135
That paint is a nice match, looking good.

I did something similar to what you want to do for lighting. Snow removal for me involves working near a secondary highway and from the rear the tractor wasn't well lit and, as you state, I sometimes travel on the road for short distances.

I manufactured the two brackets, LED trailer lights and LED fog lamps made the world of difference. No brake switch but I did install a flasher and a switch so that I can either have them on steady or with the flasher, made a world of difference and draws very little current. The fog lamps are LED as well, they are small but throw a surprising amount of light behind the tractor, and provide a much wider field of view than the stock rearward facing light I had on it.
I was lucky on the paint color match on that heat paint. I guess being grey it's easy to the eye to blend.

I really like those lights Mike. I got to have one of those seats too.

I'll post some pictures later today of the Alternator mounted and how easy it was. I'm going to buy some wire to redo the wiring harness on the 10 and 12 gauge stuff. My #2 wiring looks to have been already replaced at one time.

I've got to get started on those rims. Getting them done really shows progress. -robert

[

Sounds like what you have planned with the heat shield and re-routing of the filter should solve your problem. Having replaced the manifold gasket on mine I understand why someone may have become frustrated with the heat shield, it can be a bit of a pain to install but it is a necessary evil.

I wish I was home, I'd take a better photo of the shield for you to see how it is mounted. In the attached photo if you zoom you'll see the shield is mounted near the air filter at one point to where the tractor is split, and up around the top of the manifold. If I remember correctly there were three of the upper manifold bolts that are used as attachment points. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate, no compound bends to worry about.

Sounds like what you have planned will work as well, just thought a pic of what the original on mine looked like might prove useful.

Thanks Mike, yes please do post a picture of it. I'f my plan on this shielding doesn't work out I'll just fabricate one and slide it under the tank. The tank has four mounting points and would be quite easy to put a shield under it. I"m going to try my plan first. Might even do both.. :laughing:

I got the alternator mounted today. It lined up great without any modifaction to a premade bracket. The upper bracket had to be modified to line up with the upper tightening bolt.

I started puting some red on old Sally. I used a hardener with the part to add a bit of sheen and for durability. I've been working on the wheels. They are turning out nice. I may post of pictures of them tommmorro. -robert

I've got a question. On the lower right side of the Instrument panel appears to be a window of some sort for a switch, serial number or something. It appears to have a factory blank bolted to the panel to cover it. Anyone have a clue as to it's purpose?

[

Thanks Mike, I saw on MasseyVW's tractor the heat shield. I can see it would be a pain to add. This insulation I ordered is used to protect vidal areas near hot engine parts such as turbochargers. I found some wiring too close to the exhaust manifold and nearly melted together. That was the two wires from the generator. Since I'm no longer using the generator, I'm going to makup a new wiring harness.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #47  
The shielding on most of the wiring on mine was so deteriorated I changed most of it, cleaned up the grounds and all contacts. It made a noticeable difference in how the tractor started and ran, not to mention the difference in lighting. Years of layered paint and weather takes its toll.

Got some more work done in the painting area. I found a bit of rot on the fenders I had to fix. More like blisters.

As I suspected my gas tank sending unit was shot. I opened it up and wire wound rheostat was open and could not be repaired so now I'm looking for this sending unit. Anyone got any leads. My tractor is a 65 model 4cyl gas. -robert

It's been discussed recently about heat shielding for the fuel tank. I'm going to try another method which should work. If you've ever been around restation of classic cars, you've probably heard of Dynamat which is a sound deadening heat sheild to 500 degrees. It has heavy flexible foil and a peel ans stick backing. So I cleaned the rust off the bottom of my tank. Put some self etching primers and then gave it two good coats of MF gray. Now I will most this insulation to the bottom and trim it with scissors. It should do the trick and won't have to mess with my intake/exhaust manifold. Here's some pictures of it. -robert