Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
Mike476 said:
Interesting, I'm not able to confirm whether the bracket (hood side) remains on mine or not until I get home. If not, depending on the cost of replacements parts, I would look at fabricating my own if unreasonable.

I can tell you this. The scissors hinge is about $50 plus change. I haven't checked to see how much the tank mount bracket would be. From the looks of the bracket it wouldn't be hard to replicate. One option I have thought of was to use a gas lift like they use on auto hoods and trunks. It would look kind of cool and I could lose the rope.

Mike476 said:
That is an impressive gage layout on the deluxe. Can't say as I've wanted for any additional gages but that may be a case of you don't know what you're missing until you have it.

You know in the manuals they would show a deluxe with all the bells and whistles. It reminds me of a hot rod dash using the old VDO gauges. :smile:

Refurbishment is moving right along. It took an entire quart of bondo to fill the hole in the seat. To simulate rust is a lost art. I think I need a couple of tires though. I'll this Massey looking good in no time. What color. Sephia, monotone, grey tone. A little of paint here and there. Photoshop here and there.. Seriously. <just kidding>

The front emblem was held on with two T type trim mounting hardware. I broke one twisting the loose thus replacing them both. I doubt I could find original hardware to remount the insignia in the front grill. I found these trim mounting brackets used in the auto industry in restoring classic cars. They can be adjusted width to custom fit the front grill bar.

The aluminum bar that secures the MF emblem with be cleaned up and silver painted and clear coated. The MF emblem will be hand painted. I was going to have it rechromed, but the detail is so thin it would be lost. Hand painted with an acrylic enamel and cleared is by best best. Next week I'll concentrate on making a custom wiring harness to adapt the alternator and the added voltmeter on the panel.

The front grill turned out nice to be aftermarket. It's a shame most of it will be hid behind a Ford bush guard. Moving right along. -Robert

Part of the refurbishing of my tractor was to make it more reliable and add a bit of modernization to it. Thus a new alternator to replace an outdated generator. Changing the ampmeter to a voltmeter. Installing a petronix electronic ignition kit to the distributor. Elimination of the mechanical voltage regulator. Higher output headlights, although I don't use the tractor at night but the next owner might. I removed the old bucket seat and added a new shock absorbing seat which should make long day of bush hogging a bit more comfortable. I installed a new tach on the control panel. I really didn't need a tach, but again, the next owner might want it.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #75  
Always good to have headlights, I do use mine at night but I also believe in being seen the odd occasion I need to travel on the road or while clearing snow in less than ideal winter weather, particularly at the end of the laneway. Was one of the reasons I installed the tail lights with a flasher and the two small fog lamps, can be seen during most snow storms a fair ways off now.

Sounds like all the fab work is done, now comes the fun part, laying a little paint down. Have fun with it, like you I had to refinish the emblems but my wife used her folk art talents to paint the emblem details etc. While I wanted the results and appreciate the talent it takes to do that type of work, truth is I'm more on the bull worker side, the wife does better with the finer details.

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #77  
Part of the refurbishing of my tractor was to make it more reliable and add a bit of modernization to it. Thus a new alternator to replace an outdated generator. Changing the ampmeter to a voltmeter. Installing a petronix electronic ignition kit to the distributor. Elimination of the mechanical voltage regulator. Higher output headlights, although I don't use the tractor at night but the next owner might. I removed the old bucket seat and added a new shock absorbing seat which should make long day of bush hogging a bit more comfortable. I installed a new tach on the control panel. I really didn't need a tach, but again, the next owner might want it.

Since you have a tach,,, you probably can use it...FYI, PTO speed is right at 1700rpm. High idle is 2000. BobG in VA

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #78  
G,day Mr Kid
You would not beleive it I have just fitted one to a Massey 178 Tractor and yes it is not a nice thing to fit,I originally went looking for a new bonnet but came up no luck then I tried looking for a good secondhand bonnet same result So the last resort was you guessed it a new nose piece anyway it is fitted and welded I took it to the paint shop yesterday for final prep and paint ,will post some photo,s of the finished project.
Regards
Hutch.

G,day Mr Kid
You would not beleive it I have just fitted one to a Massey 178 Tractor and yes it is not a nice thing to fit,I originally went looking for a new bonnet but came up no luck then I tried looking for a good secondhand bonnet same result So the last resort was you guessed it a new nose piece anyway it is fitted and welded I took it to the paint shop yesterday for final prep and paint ,will post some photo,s of the finished project.
Regards
Hutch.

Bloody great Hutch. Curious to see how you did the access panel on top since that hood (bonnet) is one piece with the instrument panel. I'll wager she'll be a "Beaut". Reminds me of my old hot rod days. "Make it fit with a hamma and a torch". Thanks for sharing and indeed pictures are required.:thumbsup: -robert

Since you have a tach,,, you probably can use it...FYI, PTO speed is right at 1700rpm. High idle is 2000. BobG in VA
Thanks Bob. The operators manual has some solid info on that. I'm not sure the ratio gearing in the tachdrive will be the same as a original generator drive, but as one gets use to the PTO speed needed will be noted.

I bought the alt w/tach first before replacing the tach. I wanted to see which direction the output of the tachdrive was going. Then I knew which version of tach I needed. I've noticed in my OP manual the Perkins has a proofmeter that clocked in the opposite direction.

When I bought the tach I was told there where two different gears. So if the one that came with it seems high or low I'll try to swap it for the other. Thanks again for the tip. -robert