Refurbishing my Z145 135

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #1  

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
I bought this 135 off Craigslist in west Tennessee. This is the first time I bought anything without personally inspecting if. Sometimes pictures speak for themselves. This time my gut feeling was right on target. This little honey runs like a sewing machine. It came with a bush hog and box scraper. I was needing a tractor and bush hog to clean up about three acres that hasn't been touched in over three years.

I paid the guy extra to deliver it in a three hour drive one way. I put it to work the next day. Most of the undergrowth is honey suckle vines mixed with scrubs making it very difficult to actually push thru. I got about half of cut and may wait till winter when things die out to finish it.

Meanwhile I've starting removing all the sheet metal and will be replacing all of that. I'm refurbishing the wheels, dash, gauges, seat and a complete front end. I hope to have in done in about a month so I can keep the work I've already done cleaned up.

I had a bad tube in one of the tires and literally went on a quest just to find an inner tube. I was shocked on who didn't have it. I finally found one at Dean"s Oil Co. Not cheap though $69 for the tube and $40 to install it. The tube stem had rotted on the old one and leaked like a sieve.

I'll post some pictures as I make progress. BTW the rear wheels did not have fluid in them thus getting it repaired made a bit more simpler. Painting the wheel before putting it back on. -robert

Last edited:
   / Refurbishing my Z145 135 #2  
Thats a sharp looking tractor! It must have been kept in a barn, and well taken care of. You will have to post photos of your restoration! I found that they make a ROPS (roll over protection) for your tractor. There is only one company that makes a certified ROPS, and it may be something that you want to consider once you restore your tractor. Also, I noticed that there are spark plugs? Is the tractor a gas model? The links are:

http://warehouse.ca.uky.edu/rops/modelrops.asp

Roll Over Protection Frames

Also, there is a 421 page service manual on eBay for under $8.00 with shipping. Great deal. Massey Ferguson MF-135 MF-148 MF135 & MF148 & Perkins SERVICE MANUAL 421 PAGES!! | eBay

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135
NHmitch said:
Thats a sharp looking tractor! It must have been kept in a barn, and well taken care of. You will have to post photos of your restoration! I found that they make a ROPS (roll over protection) for your tractor. There is only one company that makes a certified ROPS, and it may be something that you want to consider once you restore your tractor. Also, I noticed that there are spark plugs? Is the tractor a gas model? The links are:

http://warehouse.ca.uky.edu/rops/modelrops.asp

Roll Over Protection Frames

Also, there is a 421 page service manual on eBay for under $8.00 with shipping. Great deal. Massey Ferguson MF-135 MF-148 MF135 & MF148 & Perkins SERVICE MANUAL 421 PAGES!! | eBay

I'm going to install a Petronix kit in the distributor when I install the alternator with tach drive. I'm also pulling the ammeter and replacing with a voltmeter.

Yes, It's the Continental 4cylinder gas version. Runs like a fine sewing machine. My six year old grandson has fell in love with it. I have seen the roll kit that is produced for Missouri farmers. It doesn't look to be hard to install. My property is fortunately flat, so just using it for bush hogging and a occasional hay ride for the grand babies.

I already have the shop and service manuals. Regards.. -robert

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #4  
There are times when I wish my tractor ran on gas, because the closest diesel station is a 20 minute ride, so I have to make sure that I have plenty on hand if I need it. That must be great for brush hogging, and the tires look like they are in pretty decent shape. What HP is the tractor? Keep us updated on the progress!

NHmitch said:
There are times when I wish my tractor ran on gas, because the closest diesel station is a 20 minute ride, so I have to make sure that I have plenty on hand if I need it. That must be great for brush hogging, and the tires look like they are in pretty decent shape. Keep us updated on the progress!

I put a coat of paint on the rear tire I just had serviced with a new tube. All I can say. WOW, it sure makes that wheels stand out. I got the inside of the wheel done before it got dark. I'll finish up the outside tomorrow and post some pictures.

I'm fitting all the sheet metal and massaging them for a better fit. The new pieces came with M6 1.0 threads. I retapped them to the original 1/4" 20 7/16 bolts. I had to modify and the bolt heads on the hood hinge. There was a lot a shade tree work done on this old cupcake as I disassembled it. It's not going to be a showpiece, but it will look nice and should re-coop my Money when I go to sell it. -robert

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #6  
I'm going to install a Petronix kit in the distributor when I install the alternator with tach drive. I'm also pulling the ammeter and replacing with a voltmeter.

Nice looking tractor, it appears to be nearly identical to mine. Where did you find an alternator with a tach drive?

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #7  
Great way to really get to know your tractor, there are some on here now who are going through varying degrees of reparations / restorations with their 135s. I did the same with mine a few years ago now, I've had mine, or I should say we've had ours, for a dozen or so years now.

Work I did on mine included;

Re-cored the rad and patch repaired the upper rad tank
Replace water pump and fan
Rebuild the alternator
Rebuild the carb (twice, some schraeber carb kits come with rubber tipped jets)
Rigged the 3 point lift mechanisms
Changed the shift lever boots, hyd filter, hyd pump lift rod o-rings
Replaced 90% of the wiring
Compression check was good, #1 cylinder is a bit low

Modifications included

Replaced the original headlights with brighter lights
Replaced the rear worklight with two LED fog lamps
Installed two LED trailer signal/brake lights on the rear with flasher
Replaced stock seat with a suspension style seat.

Had a lot of fun doing it all and got to know my tractor in the process. When it came time to paint it, I had just finished spraying my 2004 Ram, Poppy red. I had some left over and decided it was pretty close to the original MF red. Came out nice, and the clear coat finish has stood up well to everything from chains to chainsaws placed on the hood, will definitely be using it again when I do a tear down in a few years. Wish I was on TBN when I did the first bit of work, will be documenting it here when I tear it down, great to see people still appreciate the value in old iron.

Attachments

• MF 135 013.jpg
    MF 135 013.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 1,922
  • MF 135 010.jpg
    MF 135 010.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 1,732
  • MF 135 011.jpg
    MF 135 011.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 1,151
Mike476 said:
Great way to really get to know your tractor, there are some on here now who are going through varying degrees of reparations / restorations with their 135s. I did the same with mine a few years ago now, I've had mine, or I should say we've had ours, for a dozen or so years now.

Work I did on mine included;

Re-cored the rad and patch repaired the upper rad tank
Replace water pump and fan
Rebuild the alternator
Rebuild the carb (twice, some schraeber carb kits come with rubber tipped jets)
Rigged the 3 point lift mechanisms
Changed the shift lever boots, hyd filter, hyd pump lift rod o-rings
Replaced 90% of the wiring
Compression check was good, #1 cylinder is a bit low

Modifications included

Replaced the original headlights with brighter lights
Replaced the rear worklight with two LED fog lamps
Installed two LED trailer signal/brake lights on the rear with flasher
Replaced stock seat with a suspension style seat.

Had a lot of fun doing it all and got to know my tractor in the process. When it came time to paint it, I had just finished spraying my 2004 Ram, Poppy red. I had some left over and decided it was pretty close to the original MF red. Came out nice, and the clear coat finish has stood up well to everything from chains to chainsaws placed on the hood, will definitely be using it again when I do a tear down in a few years. Wish I was on TBN when I did the first bit of work, will be documenting it here when I tear it down, great to see people still appreciate the value in old iron.

Looks great Mike. The black center rims and the blacked out grill with the new seat gives it a custom look. A very good job getting that sheet metal fitment too. That is a bear. - robert

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #9  
Nice looking 135. You did good:thumbsup:
Mine is a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. Got it in Jul06 for $3600. Did a partial restoration. It's in my shop now with an engine oil leak, a leaking pto shaft seal. I might have to dig into the 2-stage clutch since it's getting difficult to shift the pto on and off.

MF135-1 (1).JPGMF135-2.JPGMF135-silver-1.JPG

MF135-silver-3.JPGMF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

Have fun with your new toy:D

/ Refurbishing my Z145 135 #10  
Thanks guys, look forward to watching to see how yours comes out Robert, same with you Flusher when you get the chance to get at yours.

MasseyWV is in the process of refurbishing his as well and posting his progress here, will be watching both threads to see what I need to take note of.

Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

Last edited: