MF 135 Injector pump

/ MF 135 Injector pump #1  

koolhand233

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I've read a lot of the posts concerning the leaks around the shut off and throttle linkages, but I'm also having a leak around the bottom banjo bolt that connects to the fuel line. I clean fuel off the pump, start the tractor and you can see the fuel come out from between the washer and the housing. I went to the Massey Dealer and bought new crush washers and put them on, but no dice, it still leaks. I guess the question I have is, is it possible to over tighten these banjo bolts and washers. I was thinking about tackeling the O rings and gaskets myself, but I can't seem to get this bolt to quit leaking. Now I am thinking about taking it in to have the entire pump rebuilt but am leery about it because despite the leaking pump and front main seal, the tractor runs great. Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

/ MF 135 Injector pump #2  
Are you sure that leak is not from hydraulic head O ring,have seen them leak also .Just mailed an MF 165 pump back to owner in South Carolina, was just under 200 to do a complete reseal and return. Line bolt washers are not usually that hard to get to seal.

/ MF 135 Injector pump
I'm pretty sure but not 100% that it is not coming from anywhere but the bolt. The o rings and gasket are leaking as well, but the immediate drip seems to come from the banjo bolt. I downloaded that zip file and have been going over it. I've also read the other posts concerning the O ring and gasket fix. If I decide to pull the pump off, is it fairly difficult to get off and back on and keep everything in time?

/ MF 135 Injector pump #5  
Pump is simple to remove/replace, remove oil fill adapter, then three bolts holding gear to pump drive hub, gear stays in place and a pin in gear locates in a groove cut into hub, will only fit one way. Remove all lines, throttle and stop control linkage from levers, then remove three nuts and washers holding pump housing to timing gear cover after checking scribed marks on pump flange and timing cover for alignment, then pull pump from cover. Does pump leak with engine off and primer pump handle used 8-10 strokes?

/ MF 135 Injector pump
haven't tried that yet. Only leaks from the bolt when it's running. It seems to seep from everywhere else when it's sitting. I think I've decided to to pull it off and go over it really good, replacing all the o rings and gaskets and clean it up. I've got a friend who's done one before so we should be able to knock it out...... Hopefully. Thanks for all the good advice.

/ MF 135 Injector pump #7  
G,Day coolhand .
As deiseltech says it could be the pump head o ring ,if you spray around the whole pump area with gasoline or degreaser and completely dry the pump then Puff some talc all around the area of leaks ,start and stop the tractor and you will see exactly where the leaks are.
Regards
Hutch.:)

/ MF 135 Injector pump
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The pump head o ring is exactly where it is coming from. What are your opinions about getting it fixed right away. I priced a rebuild at about $600 on the high end, but my hvac just went out so the funds are a little tight. It's a pretty good leak. I shoved a rag behind the pump and used it for about 3 hrs the other day. The rag was soaked in an hr. still have some mowing to do this summer and the. It will probably get parked for a awhile. Thanks again for the help.

/ MF 135 Injector pump #9  
G,Day koolhand 233.
Dieseltech has recently repaired a pump for 200 dollars !.
To run the tractor with the leak will clean the engine a bit and it may kill some weeds if you park it in the right spot and it will make it easier to set on fire but apart from that to run the tractor with the leak will do no harm.
If I were you I would give Dieseltech the job, Injector pumps are things you don,t Practice on If you know what i mean it,s o.k. to have a manual but it would be a better bet to practice on the tractor of someone you don,t particullarly like.:laughing:
happy Days.
Hutch.

/ MF 135 Injector pump
Well, I was on vacation last week and had about 27 acres to mow so I spent 18 hours in two days mowing with my 135. The fuel leak is pretty bad, but as long as I kept the grass and stuff from sticking to the side of the engine I didn't think a whole lot about it. Will probably wait till winter to have it fixed. I was using a 6ft bush hog and it had plenty of power to go through whatever I wanted to. The slip clutch on the mower was another story. Some other things I have figured out about my 135 are there is something up with the steering. It is manual steering but when you turn it sharp to the left it feels like it is in a bind and kinda locks up. Takes some force to get it back to the right. There is also a pretty good oil leak coming from the weep hole in the bell housing. Only seems to leak out when you shut it off so I'm thinking it is the rear seal or oil pan seal. Another winter project. I should only have to mow one more time this year then I'll park it and start tearing into it. As for practicing with the injection pump I'll take Hutch's advice. I'm not new to tractors, grew up on a farm, but new to working on them to this extent. I love this site. Thanks for all of the advice.