Oil & Fuel Well I bought a MF 135 today

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #11  
Congratulations, nice looking 135.

I too subscribe to the "if it works don't fix it" school of restoration. That said there is a lot of preventative maintenance that should be done when purchasing a used piece of equipment. Manuals are good to have for reference material, and especially for someone without much technical background, a good aid in performing the work.

They have in some cases taken people down a path they shouldn't travel because they get in too deep before realizing they're over their head, but that's usually a case of more enthusiasm than money or ability (tools/parts availability etc). Who can blame someone for enthusiasm, but that's where forums like this are good to seek advice.

As a minimum, once you get your manuals and the oil leak fixed I'd do a few basic things that involve looking at wear items and confirming problems don't exist.

Cooling system for oil contamination and good flow / oil system for coolant contamination; hyd fluid for contamination (boots on shift levers and seal on the master control spring for the draft control for condition, both will allow water to enter the case if damaged and tractor is left outdoors uncovered) and replacing all filters to start. All the wiring / connections and grounds for condition, pull the spark plugs and take note of their condition on removal, pop the distributor cap and take a look at your points to make sure they aren't burnt etc are all good ways to familiarize yourself with your new tractor.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today
Thank you All for the advice. I don't have a brushog yet, only a back blade. I was just down there putting some penetrating oil on those fender bolts. It will probably need the torch from the looks of it. I was going to order the manuals real soon. I can't hardly keep the boy off it. He keeps saying big tractor and runs down to the barn. I'm scared to ride him on it, one slip and its all over. I do let him sit on it when its not running though.

I'm looking forward to working on it when time permits and I really enjoy reading all the posts on here. What a good bunch of folks.

v/r

Mike

G,day vegaome.
You bought the tractor? Does it run ?
If it runs check all oils and coolant fan belt, radiator clean ,plenty of fuel and put a brushhog or a plow on it and give it a good test then you will know how much YOU HAVE TO TEAR IT DOWN, The tractor may only need a good service unless you feel the need to spend money.
Do all this and tell us more after you have gotten to know the little workhorse a bit better.
You will find there is a lot of knowledge on this website Knowledge that will be there for you to share and help with among other things your decission making when it comes to repairs etc.
The use of a service /repair manual for reference is a good idea to the less experienced among us But I feel using a manual to quote a repair procedure is sometimes misleading, Like taking the kids to a candy store and saying this is the lolly YOU want.
Have a Great day .:thumbsup:
Regards .
Hutch.

Howdy Hutch,

Yes I bought it and it runs pretty good, its just not pretty. The brakes don't work to good going down hill in reverse so will probably start there as I don't have much flat ground. It will take me a few years but I will fix her up maybe more.

v/r

Mike

My wife bought me the manuals for Fathers Day. Going to be hard to work on it with the little one around. He is two years and almost three months old and he climbs like a monkey up to the seat. I will need a steering box soon because that little fellow is going to wear it out.

v/r

Mike

Howdy Folks,

I was going to work on the brakes but I started with the sheet metal. I pulled off the nose cone and all the mounting holes are broken off. They beat her up pretty good. I have a small Hobart 140 mig welder but don't know if you can weld this pot metal the nose cap is made from. It may be cast aluminum but not sure yet.

Has anyone tried fixing one these before? If so what method did you use?

v/r

Mike

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #16  
Hi Mike,
I bought my '73 135 just a year before Katrina. Had the same leak. Super simple to fix as you know now. I was going to mention how loud it must be with the exhaust pipe cut off just below the manifold but I doubt it's any louder than mine WITH the muffler. :D If you'll keep the front spindles greased it will feel like it has power steering but let them get dry and you'll start getting Popeye arms. Great tractor you got there!
mf135.jpg

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #17  
Howdy Folks,

I was going to work on the brakes but I started with the sheet metal. I pulled off the nose cone and all the mounting holes are broken off. They beat her up pretty good. I have a small Hobart 140 mig welder but don't know if you can weld this pot metal the nose cap is made from. It may be cast aluminum but not sure yet.

Has anyone tried fixing one these before? If so what method did you use?

v/r

Mike
Mike I have a nose cose from my old tractor, if it's in better shape than yours, I might can ship it to you.
What mounting holes are you referring to that are broken off? -kid

Howdy Kid,

Wow generous offer for sure and much appreciated. You may need your nose piece if you bust the one you have now up. The two mounting holes on the top and the two on the bottom and one side hole and also one of the holes that holds the Massey emblem. Basically all of them but two. They busted this tractor up pretty good. They used some big washers to hold it together and also drilled an extra hole in the side to help hold it together. Just a good old farm repair. I'm going to try to fix it, just don't know what its made of. If I cant fix it maybe I could by or trade you something for it though. I will try to put up some pictures so you can see it and maybe someone will have an idea. Thank you once again.

v/r

Mike

Hi Mike,
I bought my '73 135 just a year before Katrina. Had the same leak. Super simple to fix as you know now. I was going to mention how loud it must be with the exhaust pipe cut off just below the manifold but I doubt it's any louder than mine WITH the muffler. :D If you'll keep the front spindles greased it will feel like it has power steering but let them get dry and you'll start getting Popeye arms. Great tractor you got there!
View attachment 270880

Howdy BigBoy,

Yes its loud right now. A neighbor gave me an upturn pipe for it but the flange is not positioned right. I did get that stub flange off. The exhaust manifold has a stud broken off in the block, I hope I can get that out but it will be tough. I really don't get much time to work on her. I will just have to do a little at a time. Thank you for the greasing tips.

v/r

Mike

Howdy Folks,

I took a few pictures today. Here is the broken nose piece, the damaged right front and the hood alignment.100_0854 (Medium).JPG100_0855 (Medium).JPG100_0851 (Medium).JPG100_0852 (Medium).JPG