Oil & Fuel Well I bought a MF 135 today

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #1  

vegaome

Silver Member
Tractor
1970 MF-135 and 1951 Ford 8N
Howdy Folks,

I bought the 135 I had put money down on. It is a 1970, gas with the perkins engine and 6/2 transmission. Its beat up pretty bad but works. It does have a major oil leak. The location is up high on the back of the engine where the cable from the tach is connected. There is a pinhole in the flange that holds the cable in and the oil is coming from that pinhole.

Sorry if I don't get the terminology right but I wondered if anyone has ever encountered a similar leak?

v/r

Mike

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #2  
Welcome the the site.

I haven't experienced a leak but there are a couple of people on here in the midst of a restoration who might be able to help you out with what you might be looking at to fix it.

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #3  
Howdy Folks,

I bought the 135 I had put money down on. It is a 1970, gas with the perkins engine and 6/2 transmission. Its beat up pretty bad but works. It does have a major oil leak. The location is up high on the back of the engine where the cable from the tach is connected. There is a pinhole in the flange that holds the cable in and the oil is coming from that pinhole.

Sorry if I don't get the terminology right but I wondered if anyone has ever encountered a similar leak?

v/r

Mike

Your leak at tach cable adapter is caused by worn oil seal inside that rides on rear of camshaft. Need to remove adapter to replace oil seal inside to stop oil leak at vent hole.

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #4  
Your leak at tach cable adapter is caused by worn oil seal inside that rides on rear of camshaft. Need to remove adapter to replace oil seal inside to stop oil leak at vent hole.

I agree. According to the parts diagram, the Perkins gasoline engine tachometer drive housing has two seals. Here is an image from agcopartsbooks.com showing their locations.

#37 - Washer, Seal - MF Part Number: 890309M1 - Perkins Part Number: 32811104
#32 - Seal, Housing To Block - MF Part Number: 636762M1 - Perkins Part Number: 30854

2n07ua1.jpg

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today
Wow,

Thanks to both of you. I still have to go get the tractor this Saturday. I'm chomping at the bit. This is my first big tractor. I was worried when I saw that oil coming out and almost did not buy it. But I went and got the fellow and we pressure washed the area and tracked it down. I thought it was fixable so a bought the tractor. I did take picture and will post them when I get the wife to show me how to do it.

I will buy the manuals soon as I get the tractor home.

Its pretty rough so don't laugh to loud. I wish I had a nice garage to work on it in. Some day I will.

Thanks again fella's.

v/r

Mike

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #6  
I will buy the manuals soon as I get the tractor home.

The AGCO manuals (I have all 3) cover the Massey 135 tractor with the Perkins 3 cylinder gas/diesel engines and include plenty of detail. The OEM MF owners manual, service manual, and parts manual can be purchased from http://www.agcopubs.com

Here are the part numbers with links to the manuals.

1448077M6 - Operators Manual (Perkins gas & diesel only):
http://www.agcopubs.com/productpage.aspx?ProdIdentifier=1448077M6

1448813M1 - Service Manual:
http://www.agcopubs.com/productpage.aspx?ProdIdentifier=1448813M1

651199M97 - Parts Manual:
http://www.agcopubs.com/productpage.aspx?ProdIdentifier=651199M97

Thanks for the links MasseyWV. I want to tear into this but with work and a baby on the way I'm going to have to just go a little at a time.

v/r

Mike

The AGCO manuals (I have all 3) cover the Massey 135 tractor with the Perkins 3 cylinder gas/diesel engines and include plenty of detail. The OEM MF owners manual, service manual, and parts manual can be purchased from http://www.agcopubs.com

Here are the part numbers with links to the manuals.

1448077M6 - Operators Manual (Perkins gas & diesel only):
AGCO Technical Publications: Massey Ferguson Tractors-Agricultural - Wheeled 135 Perkins Gas and Dsl. Operator Manual

1448813M1 - Service Manual:
AGCO Technical Publications:

651199M97 - Parts Manual:
AGCO Technical Publications: Massey Ferguson Tractors-Agricultural - Wheeled 135 Continental Gas, 135 Perkins Gas and Dsl. Parts Catalog

Well, we got her home. My boy Matthew loves it. I thought it may have been rolled but after further study, me and my neighbors believe they dropped a tree across the back the fenders. It needs a few things but runs. Here are some pictures. I only hope I can do half as good a job at fixing her up as the folks on this forum have done to theirs.
Have a good evening.
100_0844 (Large).JPG100_0846 (Medium).JPG
v/r

Mike

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #9  
I thought it may have been rolled but after further study, me and my neighbors believe they dropped a tree across the back the fenders. It needs a few things but runs.

That's a nice looking Massey 135.

I agree that it appears to have had a tree across the back of it at one time or another. The damage shouldn't be too difficult to repair, but be prepared for possibility of the bolts (2 on each side) holding the fender supports to the axle to be seized. If they are seized, a little time, a propane torch, and some penetrating oil, usually helps them to come loose.

/ Well I bought a MF 135 today #10  
G,day vegaome.
You bought the tractor? Does it run ?
If it runs check all oils and coolant fan belt, radiator clean ,plenty of fuel and put a brushhog or a plow on it and give it a good test then you will know how much YOU HAVE TO TEAR IT DOWN, The tractor may only need a good service unless you feel the need to spend money.
Do all this and tell us more after you have gotten to know the little workhorse a bit better.
You will find there is a lot of knowledge on this website Knowledge that will be there for you to share and help with among other things your decission making when it comes to repairs etc.
The use of a service /repair manual for reference is a good idea to the less experienced among us But I feel using a manual to quote a repair procedure is sometimes misleading, Like taking the kids to a candy store and saying this is the lolly YOU want.
Have a Great day .:thumbsup:
Regards .
Hutch.