Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Location
    Siskiyou Co., California
    Tractor
    Massey 135 Multipower / Z145

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    I've been lurking around MasseyWV's thread and thekid's thread as well. I've been impressed with their knowledge and skill. I wasn't sure that the manual difficulty had been resolved. I guess I'd best reread his thread.

  2. #12
    Bronze Member MasseyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lava Rancher View Post
    I've been lurking around MasseyWV's thread and thekid's thread as well. I've been impressed with their knowledge and skill. I wasn't sure that the manual difficulty had been resolved. I guess I'd best reread his thread.
    I think MasseyWV even has a picture posted of the actual manual Item numbers he purchased on that thread also, somewhere around page 11 or 12.

    ---MasseyLady

  3. #13
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,112
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyLady View Post
    Lava Rancher.......yep, that would be our choice too!
    Just wanting to find out about the gas versions........thanks!
    Greetings. You can actually get three versions of gas 135's. Perkins made a 3 cyl diesel and a 3 cyl gas. The 4 cyl came depending on year and a Z134 and Z145 Continitial gas models. The Z145 has a slightly larger motor. I have a 65 Z145 and it starts as good as my 2012 Honda Accord. It's best to educate yourself before buying. Taking a MF owner with you would be a plus. These are tough little tractors that are very versatile. All I use mine for is Bush Hogging and will be spreading some gravel soon on my driveway. If and when you buy a vintage 135, get yourself a "operators manual" close to the same vintage as your buying. It saves from learning the hard way.

    If your Pro Ebay, it's an excellent source for manuals. FYI, buy only original printed vintage manuals to be assured you get what you need. BTW Welcome to TNB from a Tennessean. -robert

  4. #14
    Bronze Member MasseyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    Greetings. You can actually get three versions of gas 135's. Perkins made a 3 cyl diesel and a 3 cyl gas. The 4 cyl came depending on year and a Z134 and Z145 Continitial gas models. The Z145 has a slightly larger motor. I have a 65 Z145 and it starts as good as my 2012 Honda Accord. It's best to educate yourself before buying. Taking a MF owner with you would be a plus. These are tough little tractors that are very versatile. All I use mine for is Bush Hogging and will be spreading some gravel soon on my driveway. If and when you buy a vintage 135, get yourself a "operators manual" close to the same vintage as your buying. It saves from learning the hard way.

    If your Pro Ebay, it's an excellent source for manuals. FYI, buy only original printed vintage manuals to be assured you get what you need. BTW Welcome to TNB from a Tennessean. -robert
    Hello Robert - "The Kid" - Like your username! Thank-you for the warm welcome. Hubby and I really appreciate it. Very nice and informative members here! Thank-you for the info on the MF 135 gas engines. We have taken advantage of the info here to educate ourselves on these great older tractor workhorses. We are fortunate too to have a close friend who farms that owns a few and one of them is a MF 135 and we have been asking several questions from him also. He has the 3 cyclinder Perkins gas. We just had some confusion of the differences in models from the special and the deluxe. Glad to read all the replies and advice, thank-you very much. Been following your thread too, kid, and enjoy learning about your and MasseyWV restoration projects, great learning info indeed!

    Oh, theKid, a Tennesssean, that's neat, we lived there several years ago in McMinnville, Tn.

    ---MasseyLady
    Last edited by MasseyLady; 06-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,701
    Location
    Central VA, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Hi MasseyLady...I've been following your 150 threads....I have a '67 135 Deluxe with the Cont. Z145....as a previous poster stated, it may be 25 deg. outside but it won't turn over more than one rev. and it will be running....mine has all the guages and tach and such, it has a 12 volt/ with generator..I had the gen checked out guessing that the tach hours (670hrs) may be wrong..the auto electric guy pulled it apart checked it, put it back together with only a new front pulley bearing (so it won't need oil put in it) and told me simply..."Its perfect...." I have had to replace a rear tire as the original owner (now about a 90 year old gentleman) only used it with a 6ft finish mower to cut his yard about 3 times a year...soooo, yeah the tires are actually OEM...I don't have power steering, but its very tight, I also do not have the diff. lock, but every thing else....Oh, the old fella let it sit so much that his sons (who I bought it from), replaced the gas tank, the hyd pump and a brand new carb...(he even gave me the old one as well). I also bought the 6ft Land Pride finish mower as well...I've got a few other tractors, but this old unit is quickly becoming my favorite for quick response stuff..sorry for the long posts...enjoy and get a 135 if hours aren't too many and the engine "sounds" smooth and it idles well. Good luck... BobG in VA

  6. #16
    Bronze Member MasseyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobG_in_VA View Post
    Hi MasseyLady...I've been following your 150 threads....I have a '67 135 Deluxe with the Cont. Z145....as a previous poster stated, it may be 25 deg. outside but it won't turn over more than one rev. and it will be running....mine has all the guages and tach and such, it has a 12 volt/ with generator..I had the gen checked out guessing that the tach hours (670hrs) may be wrong..the auto electric guy pulled it apart checked it, put it back together with only a new front pulley bearing (so it won't need oil put in it) and told me simply..."Its perfect...." I have had to replace a rear tire as the original owner (now about a 90 year old gentleman) only used it with a 6ft finish mower to cut his yard about 3 times a year...soooo, yeah the tires are actually OEM...I don't have power steering, but its very tight, I also do not have the diff. lock, but every thing else....Oh, the old fella let it sit so much that his sons (who I bought it from), replaced the gas tank, the hyd pump and a brand new carb...(he even gave me the old one as well). I also bought the 6ft Land Pride finish mower as well...I've got a few other tractors, but this old unit is quickly becoming my favorite for quick response stuff..sorry for the long posts...enjoy and get a 135 if hours aren't too many and the engine "sounds" smooth and it idles well. Good luck... BobG in VA
    Thanks Bob G in VA! Glad to meet you. Wow your MF 135 sounds great, and with that low of hours to boot. Sounds like you have a real gem there. Do you have pictures posted anywhere here?
    The MF135 we are looking at needs some TLC and possible motor work, but hubby has rebuilt motors before and if we buy her I want to be more involved in that rebuilt process to learn the ins and outs of that engine. Hubby and I have also rebuilt a few salvage yard automobiles in years past so it will be neat to work on these tractors together.
    If we do get this MF 135, I told hubby I'm claiming the MF 135 tractor as mine and the MF150 will be his..."HIS and HERS."

    Hubby and I are still in the process of locating a replacement rim and tire for our MF150 Diesel and hope to have that changed out soon. Eager to put the ole' gal to work, we have a large goat manure pile that was cleaned out from the barn that needs some attention That pile was all scooped out with pitchfork, shovel and wheel barrow, so the MF150 Diesel with FEL will be a blessing. Now that I think about it, the pile outside is from three years worth of cleaning out the barn! So it's quite large...lol!

    No worries on the long post Bob, I enjoy reading posts here, you can learn so much from those that have as they say, "been there and done that!"

    OOPS, I think I have drifted on my own thread........sorry.

    --MasseyLady

  7. #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,701
    Location
    Central VA, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    "Thanks Bob G in VA! Glad to meet you. Wow your MF 135 sounds great, and with that low of hours to boot. Sounds like you have a real gem there. Do you have pictures posted anywhere here?"

    MasseyLady, Here's a couple one is the day I brought it home with the finish mower still on it...the other is with a post hole digger that I used to put up a gate with (note the cedar posts under the tractor)...As a sidenote, I've read that some folks are looking for ways to "weigh down" the front end as it becomes very light with a brush hog on the back...the "old gentleman" was a very astute fella/ as he cut a rail road rail and bolted it to the front bolster/axle...it can still get light though with a 5ft brush hog on...BobG in VA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -landpride-jpg   -posthole-jpg  

  8. #18
    Bronze Member MasseyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobG_in_VA View Post
    "Thanks Bob G in VA! Glad to meet you. Wow your MF 135 sounds great, and with that low of hours to boot. Sounds like you have a real gem there. Do you have pictures posted anywhere here?"

    MasseyLady, Here's a couple one is the day I brought it home with the finish mower still on it...the other is with a post hole digger that I used to put up a gate with (note the cedar posts under the tractor)...As a sidenote, I've read that some folks are looking for ways to "weigh down" the front end as it becomes very light with a brush hog on the back...the "old gentleman" was a very astute fella/ as he cut a rail road rail and bolted it to the front bolster/axle...it can still get light though with a 5ft brush hog on...BobG in VA
    Wow BobG! It looks nearly brand new, what a gem indeed! You are very fortunate! Hum.....railroad tie, that is creative way to ad weight. We heard that too about the 135 being light in the front end. We also heard that with too heavy of a load in a FEL on a MF135 the front axle is known to break, which is one of the reasons we opted to go with a MF150 and tickled that it's a diesel. But I have read a few posts of those that do use a FEL on the 135, I often wonder if their FEL is hydraulic or a trip bucket.

    Looks like you got some work ahead of you BobG, bush hog, post hole digger and it appears you have a nice pile of fine gravel in that one pic too. Your tractor sure will make it a lot easier for sure. Thanks again for the pics, one mighty fine tractor.

    --MasseyLady

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Location
    Lochiel, New South Wales
    Tractor
    Massey 135

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Hi Massey Lady. My wife and I were fortunate enough to lay our hands on a 135 diesel - 3 cyl Perkins. was owned by an older guy who used it now and then. It was sitting in a paddock for about 2 years and of course, battery was completely dead. Chucked in a new battery and I reckon the starter wouldn't have completed half a turn and she was off and running. It's got an original 2000 hours and must be deluxe cos its got all the meters and a diff lock to boot. we paid 3k Au for it with a finishing mower and 12 foot stick rake And spare tyres. For info, it has a very old style bucket with an extremely long boom and a hand tipper mechanism. Funny thing, the ram - which is a large bore single, is on a pivot, so i'm adapting it to become a log splitter. . Never had any probs with axles from load. Am going to fit a fel which is closer to the front and also power steering to make the turns a bit easier. Was thinking at one stage about trading for a compact but u just cannot beat the mf's -handled with care they are nearly indestructible and I have NEVER seen any motor which idles so slow. As for weight at the front, u can get inserts for the front rims which work really well. By now you have probably purchased and if so good luck!

  10. #20
    Bronze Member MasseyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

    Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev from oz View Post
    Hi Massey Lady. My wife and I were fortunate enough to lay our hands on a 135 diesel - 3 cyl Perkins. was owned by an older guy who used it now and then. It was sitting in a paddock for about 2 years and of course, battery was completely dead. Chucked in a new battery and I reckon the starter wouldn't have completed half a turn and she was off and running. It's got an original 2000 hours and must be deluxe cos its got all the meters and a diff lock to boot. we paid 3k Au for it with a finishing mower and 12 foot stick rake And spare tyres. For info, it has a very old style bucket with an extremely long boom and a hand tipper mechanism. Funny thing, the ram - which is a large bore single, is on a pivot, so i'm adapting it to become a log splitter. . Never had any probs with axles from load. Am going to fit a fel which is closer to the front and also power steering to make the turns a bit easier. Was thinking at one stage about trading for a compact but u just cannot beat the mf's -handled with care they are nearly indestructible and I have NEVER seen any motor which idles so slow. As for weight at the front, u can get inserts for the front rims which work really well. By now you have probably purchased and if so good luck!
    Hello Kev from oz and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a really nice set up and with low hours too Post some pictures when you get a chance. Yes hubby and I have jumped into MF's full force, we own two now. A "His" and "Hers" mind you....lol. Hubby has a MF 150 diesel with a fel and he is working on the MF 135, doing a total overhaul of the engine. There are a lot of nice gentlemen on this forum and being I'm the elected go between for info to relay to hubby they have been very helpful and cordial to me. Enjoy that tractor of yours, I'm sure we would all enjoy some pictures. Best to you and your wife.

    --MasseyLady

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RVS "Rear View Safety" Camera install short review "pics"
    By Jamming in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 09:34 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 02:46 PM
  4. pics of "new" 1967 135 and a few questions
    By joel.smith1969 in forum Massey Ferguson Classic/Vintage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.