Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

Evening, I have a 67 MF 135 Diesel Deluxe with 5000 hours. I just bought it last week. I have a thread with pics on this forum if you care to take a look. Seems these machines are worth more in parts than whole.
    Murph
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

Default Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Evening, I have a 67 MF 135 Diesel Deluxe with 5000 hours. I just bought it last week. I have a thread with pics on this forum if you care to take a look. Seems these machines are worth more in parts than whole.
    Murph
    Oh Murph a fellow Buckeye! Greetings, we will have to check your thread out for sure. I know what you mean about the machines being worth more in parts than as a whole, especially when you are rebuilding an engine or in our MF150's case replacing a rear rim and both tires....lol. Take care, we will check out your pictures.

--MasseyLady

Tractor
    MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Murph
    Just checked out your pictures Murph......we are jealous that its a diesel and a deluxe.......lol. Can't wait till we get our 135 up and going, probably will not be till next spring or summer.
    Take care and best to you on your 135, they are a treat indeed.

--MasseyLady

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

MasseyLady,,,just a thought...since you now have a 135 with the Cont. engine...if you plan on doing anything "heavy" behind you on the tractor, you may want to take a look at the front weight bracket that Value Bilt has for sale...if you are interested go back to the middle of Nov on this forum and check the "135 Front Weight Brackets" threads,, there will be two..the unit itself is perfect, plus I already had the weights, so saved some money there...again for the $66 or so for the bracket, its an absolute steal...as I've seen these particular brackets for sale for as much as $270...BobG in VA

SDT
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Numerous

Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    Greetings. You can actually get three versions of gas 135's. Perkins made a 3 cyl diesel and a 3 cyl gas. The 4 cyl came depending on year and a Z134 and Z145 Continitial gas models. The Z145 has a slightly larger motor. I have a 65 Z145 and it starts as good as my 2012 Honda Accord. It's best to educate yourself before buying. Taking a MF owner with you would be a plus. These are tough little tractors that are very versatile. All I use mine for is Bush Hogging and will be spreading some gravel soon on my driveway. If and when you buy a vintage 135, get yourself a "operators manual" close to the same vintage as your buying. It saves from learning the hard way.

If your Pro Ebay, it's an excellent source for manuals. FYI, buy only original printed vintage manuals to be assured you get what you need. BTW Welcome to TNB from a Tennessean. -robert
    The Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine is a converted diesel engine, very rugged and fuel efficient. I once had one and prefer it to the Continental gasoline engines though it has become a bit of an orphan.

In any event, if considering a 35, avoid the Standard Motors 4 cylinider diesel. It is a notoriously hard starter and parts are difficult to find.

SDT

Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Quote Originally Posted by SDT View Post
    The Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine is a converted diesel engine, very rugged and fuel efficient. I once had one and prefer it to the Continental gasoline engines though it has become a bit of an orphan.

In any event, if considering a 35, avoid the Standard Motors 4 cylinider diesel. It is a notoriously hard starter and parts are difficult to find.

SDT
    Are you saying the Continentals are not rugged. Maybe yours was not properly tuned... I have used both and the major difference was the maintenance cost was extreme on the Diesel. BTW there are quite a few differences between a gas Perkins and a Diesel Perkins in parts alone. They use the same engine block and that's about all basically.
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

SDT
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Numerous

Are you saying the Continentals are not rugged. Maybe yours was not properly tuned... I have used both and the major difference was the maintenance cost was extreme on the Diesel. BTW there are quite a few differences between a gas Perkins and a Diesel Perkins in parts alone. They use the same engine block and that's about all basically.
    Well aware of all of that and did not say that the Continentals were not rugged but it is well known that they are prone to cracks in the block between the cylinders after 40 or 50 years.

SDT

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

How you figure extreme on costs for the diesel??? Gas engines don't last as long either.
    Murph ------------

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Quote Originally Posted by SDT View Post
    Well aware of all of that and did not say that the Continentals were not rugged but it is well known that they are prone to cracks in the block between the cylinders after 40 or 50 years.

SDT
    SDT...I think you must be thinking about the Z129 and Z134 blocks...I'm not aware of any such pervasive problem with the Z145. Pls show imperical data that is "well known" on the Z145 if you have it. BobG in VA

Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244

How you figure extreme on costs for the diesel??? Gas engines don't last as long either.
    Have you ever priced rebuilding a Continental vs Perkins Diesel? Have you priced a set of injectors vs plugs and a carb kit? Don't get me wrong here. The Perkins diesel is the gold standard of the 135's but when trouble comes up they can be pricy. Have you priced a Perkins piston vs Continental?
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast