What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #1  

MasseyLady

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas
What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

I'm inquiring about the differences between the MF 135 special and deluxe models. Hubby and I have looked at the specs on tractordata.com but wondered what are the specific differences between the models. Are there options on the deluxe that are never on the special and visa versa?

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"
Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

We are researching some of the differences in regards to the Continental gas engines on a MF135 the Z-134 and the Z-145. Wanting to double check our data. Is the Z-145 only offered on the deluxe? I know the deluxe also has more gauges, correct? And does the deluxe only come with a dual clutch? Is the differential lock only offered on the deluxe? What is the specific HP on the deluxe and the special and the HP at the pto of each?

Also is a dual clutch ever offered on the special or standard MF 135? Any info on the options and differences between these two models would be appreciated, again we have checked tractordata.com, but the info seems incomplete on some of our questions. :)

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #3  

I'm inquiring about the differences between the MF 135 special and deluxe models. Hubby and I have looked at the specs on tractordata.com but wondered what are the specific differences between the models. Are there options on the deluxe that are never on the special and visa versa?

There are differences in the instrument cluster. The Special is bare bones--water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. The Deluxe adds the tachometer/hour meter, ammeter, fuel level gauge.

With the Deluxe you can get the optional differential lock to lock the rear axles together for greater traction under some conditions.

The Special offers the 134 cid gas engine, 6 speed tranny, spring cushioned clutch, manual steering.

The Deluxe offers the dual clutch, live hydraulics and PTO, ground speed PTO, foam float seat.

The Deluxe has more engine options: 145 cid gasser, 152 cid diesel.

The Deluxe offers what MF calls its "power steering" option. It's really power-assisted steering. There is no large hydraulic cylinder built into the front axle assembly. The power assist comes from a small hydraulic gizmo on the steering column.

The Deluxe offers the 6 speed tranny (6F/2R) and the 12 speed tranny (12F/4R).

Hope this helps

Thanks Flusher! :) Yes that helps and reconfirms some info we were not sure about. We really appreciate it.

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #5  

I would ask what spec would you want given the choice and if all were in good condition. My answer would be:
Deluxe
Peekins Diesel
Independent PTO
Diff Lock
Power Steering
W/O multipower

What would the rest of the 135 people choose?

Lava Rancher.......yep, that would be our choice too! :thumbsup:
Just wanting to find out about the gas versions........thanks!

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #7  

The displacement and horsepower these tractors started with may have changed significantly. My z145 engined massey has no problem with a 6 foot bush hog in thick head high pasture. I suspect that at some point the engine was rebuilt and that the kit used had sleaves and pistons that upped the displacement. The rebuild kits are available with several bore measurements at the same price. I would be surprised if most folks didn't opt for the increase in displacement and power with no additional cost except increased fuel consumption. Most of these tractors are well over 4000 hours and their engines have been rebuilt a time or two. Some of the users tha. Have torn into their units may be able to confirm or refute ths.

Lava Rancher,

How much fuel consumption would you say you use when you bush hog pasture that is that high? Are you talking acres and working all day?

Also does anyone know of the best place to buy a quality rebuild kit for a MF135 Z-145 tractor?

Thanks, Massey Lady :tractor:

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #9  

Lava Rancher,

How much fuel consumption would you say you use when you bush hog pasture that is that high? Are you talking acres and working all day?

Also does anyone know of the best place to buy a quality rebuild kit for a MF135 Z-145 tractor?

Thanks, Massey Lady :tractor:

Haven't done enough to have a gallons per hour figured but I'm guessing 3++. It doesn't labor or bog down at all so I'd say the power is sufficient. Diesel would be more efficient but I couldn't find one nearby and the initial outlay for newer equipment wasn't something that I could justify. A big plus for gas is that most rural mechanics can resolve most gas issues w/o difficulty. It seems that finding service manuals for the continental powered 135 is problematic. My parts manual has it covered but my user''s is for Perkins powered models.

Haven't done enough to have a gallons per hour figured but I'm guessing 3++. It doesn't labor or bog down at all so I'd say the power is sufficient. Diesel would be more efficient but I couldn't find one nearby and the initial outlay for newer equipment wasn't something that I could justify. A big plus for gas is that most rural mechanics can resolve most gas issues w/o difficulty. It seems that finding service manuals for the continental powered 135 is problematic. My parts manual has it covered but my user''s is for Perkins powered models.

LavaRancher, have you considered Agco for your manuals? Been following a thread by MasseyWV called - My 1966 Massey 135 tractor pics. He is doing a total restore, on a MF 135 with a Z-145 Continental engine. It is very interesting thread and he talks about agcopub.com as a source to get manuals on these gas engines. I do believe its on page 12 of the thread. Hubby and I will probably be purchasing these ourselves too, we own a MF150 Diesel and are contemplating a possible MF135 Deluxe that is for sale in our area. That is why I was asking for info on these MF135 gas engines and the differences in the two models.

:tractor:---MasseyLady