1967 gas 135 questions

/ 1967 gas 135 questions #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
I have found a 1967 gas MF 135 with bush hog for $3500 close to my house and am going to look at it tonight. What are the big problem areas and things to look for? I am planning on mowing with it mainly. I need a dependable tractor, I am heading to Afghanistan with the national guard next spring and I needed something that will not break down on my wife. My plan is to get a large older tractor to bush hog with and then get a smaller compact with a front end loader for work in barns and what not.

Last edited:
   / 1967 gas 135 questions #2  
I have a 135, and like you have a wife and daughter who need to use it while I'm away.

Obviously give it a good looking over like you would any vehicle, aside from that there is a small hole in the belly of the tractor just aft of the block, there may be a cotter pin still suspended in it from the factory. It's meant to clear the hole of debris if blocked. If oil is leaking from it you may have a bad rear seal.
Drive the tractor, clutch travel / play in the steering etc are all things to take note of. For the price with a brush hog, appearance would be the last thing I'd be concerned with.

Good luck.

/ 1967 gas 135 questions #3  
johnking///really depends on a couple of things...how many hours are on the clock...and does the tach/clock work? I've got a '67 with the Continental engine that is a Delux...ie. has all five gauges and the two stage clutch..if the 135 does not have all 5 gauges, it may not have a two stage clutch...Now as far as the engine is concerned, if it is a Continental Z145, I consider them 'bout bullet proof assuming it doesn't have 5000 or so hours on it. When tuned correctly it will start on the 2nd turnover even in 30 degree weather. I never even have to use the choke....ever. Next does it have power steering? If it does make sure it works good...this is one thing on these tractors that can cause some issues. If it doesn't its not the end of the world... but make sure there is very little "slop" in the steering wheel....ie. starts to turn almost immediately and doesn't go a 1/4 turn before the steering box catches up... check the 3 pt hitch for good working order..pull the dipstick on the right hand side of the trans case and make sure it has the right amount of trans/hyd fluid...past that if the tires/rims are good, it'll last longer than you'll want to keep it... PS: thank you for your service!! BobG in VA

/ 1967 gas 135 questions
Bought the tractor last night. A bit of an impulse buy. Everything looked good. It has 5 gauges so I believe it is a deluxe, it is not power steer. You do have to turn the wheel about a quarter inch before the tires start to turn but I assume that this is OK with non power steer. Thanks for the answers.

/ 1967 gas 135 questions #5  
Bought the tractor last night. A bit of an impulse buy. Everything looked good. It has 5 gauges so I believe it is a deluxe, it is not power steer. You do have to turn the wheel about a quarter inch before the tires start to turn but I assume that this is OK with non power steer. Thanks for the answers.

You do realize that you now owe us all some pics....Good Luck! BobG in VA

/ 1967 gas 135 questions
Will do, delivery tonight