Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Thanks for the great description, I'm waiting on my block and head cleanup and then I can start the re-assembly. I also picked up my manual today, it's a Jensales.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #92  
G,Day zsink.
I forgot to mention ,when the clutch assembly is securely bolted to the flywheel REMOVE THE THREE 1/4 " BOLTS SECURING THE COVER.
Regards
Hutch.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #93  
shona13 said:
G,Day zsink .

Just a few words of wisdom to make your task as easy as it can be.
Excellent post Hutch. Very well explained. A+++ :thumbsup:

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Very good, thanks. I picked up my head today. The machine shop did do a valve job as there was some pitting on that #2 cylinder valves from being open all that time. It looks like new. I also got some 1/4UNC rod and welded up some 'T' tools with nuts. I regret not using this to remove the clutch, I just took all the mounting bolts out. The block will be back a week Monday and I'll take some good pictures.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Here is the head. Valves had some discoloration, looks like pitting in the pic but its smooth. Engine rebuilder also commented that the crank was mint but it looked like the bearings got hot and were discolored. He didn't know that they engine had 40years of sitting on it so I suspect that the discoloration was from some corrosion products in the oil, not heat.

IMG-20120827-00532.jpg

IMG-20120827-00534.jpg

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #96  
good time to change the exhaust valve for unleaded gas, hardened seat too.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #97  
NICE TRACTOR!
I HAVE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH PB BLASTER ALSO.
TOM

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Anyone ever use A&I pistons are sleeves? I got a set of these from the dealer and my local parts guy told me tonight that I should avoid this brand. He sells them and others and says that they are bad news. Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't think that the shop has put them in yet.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #99  
Anyone ever use A&I pistons are sleeves? I got a set of these from the dealer and my local parts guy told me tonight that I should avoid this brand. He sells them and others and says that they are bad news. Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't think that the shop has put them in yet.

While conducting extensive research into finding the best parts sources for my Massey 135 restoration project, I've encountered many such bad reports about the reliability/durability of A&I parts. Personally, I advise that you consider returning the A&I parts and attempt to locate genuine Perkins parts (likely made in England), or at the very least get Tisco, which is way better than A&I. IMHO

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #100  
MasseyWV said:
While conducting extensive research into finding the best parts sources for my Massey 135 restoration project, I've encountered many such bad reports about the reliability/durability of A&I parts. Personally, I advise that you consider returning the A&I parts and attempt to locate genuine Perkins parts (likely made in England), or at the very least get Tisco, which is way better than A&I. IMHO

How about sharing your extensive research with the OP as where he can locate genuine Perkins cylinder sleeves. inquiring minds would like to know. i have a farmer in my area that has a 1968 Perkins diesel he wants to sell cheap. he told me it had a blown head gasket and didn't want much for it. he has already bought a new tractor and had no use for it. So MasseyVW, I too would like to know this source of genuine Perkins parts. Thanks for your continued support. :)