Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
After speaking with a few people, I'm frustrated and not sure that I can get a good answer on parts quality. All the major aftermarket folks have parts coming from Turkish factories INCLUDING the possibility that the genuine Perkins parts are now sourced from there. I would go with the genuine parts but the pistons are $350 a piece from AGCO (Perkins). The machinist says that the A&I parts have gone into lots of Perkins with no troubles by him and the rep comes by and anything issues are fixed. He had some troubles with another (max power, maxi power something). Parts of the Tisco and Sparex (sp) also come from Turkey...

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #102  
G,Day zsink .
I would also urge you to buy genuine perkins parts or at least proven quality parts as Massey wv has suggested.
Regards Hutch .
P.S. Keep the pics coming .
Happy Days.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #103  
After speaking with a few people, I'm frustrated and not sure that I can get a good answer on parts quality. All the major aftermarket folks have parts coming from Turkish factories INCLUDING the possibility that the genuine Perkins parts are now sourced from there. I would go with the genuine parts but the pistons are $350 a piece from AGCO (Perkins). The machinist says that the A&I parts have gone into lots of Perkins with no troubles by him and the rep comes by and anything issues are fixed. He had some troubles with another (max power, maxi power something).

Here are links to a few forum threads discussing A&I parts. Decide for yourself...

Today's Tractors :: View topic - After market tractor parts

Viewing a thread - A&I products: garbage products, garbage company.

Viewing a thread - A&I Lowen China junk combine parts

Parts of the Tisco and Sparex (sp) also come from Turkey...

Using genuine Perkins parts would be best, but since you're trying to save money (who isn't?), the Tisco basic engine kit for the Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine only costs about 300-350 dollars, including main/rod bearings.

While I can't say for certain where the Tisco Perkins engine kit parts are made, I can say that the Tisco Continental Z-145 engine kit parts are made primarily in the USA and Taiwan, with none of them having been made in Turkey.

Here's a list of my Tisco Continental Z-145 engine kit parts and where they were made. Note that the parts made in the USA and Taiwan appear to be very high quality, and the cylinder sleeves were even pre-honed with a perfect crosshatch pattern in them. The parts made in Mexico and China also appeared to be fine.

USA:
Piston Rings
Valves
Main Bearings
Rod Bearings
Rod Bushings
Gasket Set
Valve Seals
Valve Keys (Split Keepers)

Taiwan:
Cylinder Sleeves
Pistons
Piston Pins
Rear Crank Seal
Cylinder Sleeve O-rings

Mexico:
Valve Springs
Valve Keys (Pins)

China:
Valve Guides

Last edited:
   / Massey 135 Barn Find
After talking to the machinist, he is going to inspect the #1 and #3 pistons for reuse. I have ordered OEM perkins sleeves x3 and rings x3 and one new piston #2 at great cost. Reusing 2/3 pistons doesn't worry me if they are original and within spec. He did say that the rings on all 3 holes were stuck. The #2 piston was damaged / marred from the removal operation.

Thanks Hutch for driving this home again. I believe you suggested this path early on!

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Well the engine is back
IMG-20120913-00571.jpg

There was no strainer on the pan when I first removed it, the machinist also commented on this. The manual states that I should have one, was this missing?
IMG-20120913-00573.jpg

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #106  
I would say yes...do you have a picture of the pick up in the manual? does it show a screen? My z134 has a screen

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
New strainer is ordered. I started to reassemble some of the engine. The cam had a black corrosion on it that I hit with a scotchbrite pad and it's still blackish but smooth. I re-installed it with LOTS of MOLY AS/40. I'm not sure what holds the strainer on. I ordered the strainer and a spring so I assume that the spring rides on the collar on the pick-up tube and the pan gets installed to hold the strainer in-place.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #108  
Do you think someone pulled the pan and put it back on in the pass if the strainer was physically removed?

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #109  
G,Day zsink.
are the pictures before or after rebuild ? .
If after The main bearings should have lock tabs on the hold down bolts and the connecting rod / bigend nuts should have either nyloc ,self locking nuts or lock tabs.
The spring you have ordered with the sump filter does hold the filter onto the pickup pipe,it as a Tapered coil spring that you SCREW onto the pickup pipe.
another concern I would have is the lack of oil around the crankshaft bearings ,if this is the engine after rebuild I would difinitly expect to see lots of oil around the area indicating that there was plenty of oil used during assembly!!just a thought.
Good work .
keep the pics coming .
Regards
Hutch.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #110  
wow , looking at your past postings iam amazed at your luck finding that ol massey, i have got one just like it,it belonged to my dad(rip)!!you will undoubtely get many decades of use once you finish the rebuild . rebuilt mine after my dad passed in 1990 and have put bout 300 hours on it since!! tachometer showed right at 2,500 hrs on it before i did rebuild and it is still running strong!great buy and good luck!!!