Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #141  
Sounds like the clutch need a tad of adjusting. Do you have an owners manual?

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
I have a manual, free play is good as was the 80-90 thou on the secondary. There was some surface rust on the plate/flywheel that I smoothed out with steel wool and cleaned with brake cleaner prior to reassembly.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #143  
Gear box oil was changed ?

Rgds, D.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #144  
I have a manual, free play is good as was the 80-90 thou on the secondary. There was some surface rust on the plate/flywheel that I smoothed out with steel wool and cleaned with brake cleaner prior to reassembly.

It may correct itself since it's been out of service for quite a while. Lowering the RPM's should help let it fall into gear.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #145  
Great job!! Looks like the ol' girl was well worth the time, effort & expense. I love the angular (but clean) look of those 135s. Thanks for sharing all the progress; I've been following the thread from day one. WBB in NH

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Thanks for the comment.

I've been looking into my shifting issues, the clutch has a really definite two stage feel and the pto engages with a load and shifts without grinding etc. the main clutch will drag unless I depress the clutch a bit into the second stage, if I do this, the tractor gears will shift without grinding. I have not changed the fluid bit the fact is the the clutch is still turning the input shaft at the halfway point. I'm going to continue to operate with the clutch as is hoping that the drag will clean up a bit with some use. I cleaned up the flywheel and pressure plate but some roughness may have remained. I also put some grease on the splines.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #147  
FWIW..... if you haven't ever serviced an older gearbox, just wanted to mention that the old oil is usually much worse than you think. Lube quality and additive depletion, yes, but also contamination. A properly designed sump will catch a lot of junk and condensation, that you don't see on the dipstick and/or top of the oil.

You may know this already, but wanted to mention this in case not. Many people will pull the dipstick and see clean looking oil - "No Worries", when in fact it should have been changed years before.

Don't want to sound like a nag :thumbdown: , but would hate to see a critical service missed on that beautiful time machine you have there !

(And No, I'm not suggesting the oil change as a magic cure for the problem you describe).

Rgds, D.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #148  
I have no story on this tractor, the whole set of implements look unused. The tractor is a '71 and the property was last sold at that time.
If you are south or west of Brighton, I may be able to help you with the history. I grew up around there and have lots of extended family in those woods. Beautiful tractor. My father in law will be jealous when he finds out that it was practically in his back yard. :)
PM me if you are interested in trying to find out more about the history of the property.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #149  
3930dave said:
FWIW..... if you haven't ever serviced an older gearbox, just wanted to mention that the old oil is usually much worse than you think. Lube quality and additive depletion, yes, but also contamination. A properly designed sump will catch a lot of junk and condensation, that you don't see on the dipstick and/or top of the oil.

You may know this already, but wanted to mention this in case not. Many people will pull the dipstick and see clean looking oil - "No Worries", when in fact it should have been changed years before.

Don't want to sound like a nag :thumbdown: , but would hate to see a critical service missed on that beautiful time machine you have there !

(And No, I'm not suggesting the oil change as a magic cure for the problem you describe).

Rgds, D.

If he does an hydro oil change, he better make sure he's got several buckets. :)

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #150  
If he does an hydro oil change, he better make sure he's got several buckets. :)

Not sure if the OP's gearbox is separate from the hydraulic, or not. Mine was separate, and as I recall, "only" held 12L. Just checked, if I'd had creeper gears it would have been 15L instead of 12 in my 3930.

Aside from the cost, many people balk at physically dealing with that much oil. Gearbox/Hydraulic is often neglected for these reasons, esp. if folks are only used to looking at used crankcase oil (" Looks clean - next item on the Maintenance list ? ").

Rgds, D.