Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #151  
G'day Zsink.
The clutch pedal clearance that is the gap between the pedal arm and the footplate support pin should be about the size of your little finger 3/8 Th inch no more,I think it has been mentioned by another member ,the Intermediate plate adjustment,Factory setting is 90 thou If you reduce the clearance to 70 thou this will allow the transmission part of the clutch to SEPARATE more and give the Driven plate more clearance.
You did check the Transmission plate and make sure it was not twisted , warped or cracked ??
As you have mentioned the tractor has been lazy for a while and everything may loosen up with use and looking at that big brushhog she will certainly be working , just go gently .
Happy days.
Hutch.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Well I've fixed a few of the remaining issues that I had outstanding. The throttle friction disc (cork) was hard and glazed and once replaced the tractor holds RPM's as it should.

I think the issue is that the gearbox has so much rotational mass that it I just need to let it slow down. If I press the clutch and let it slow down it doesn't really bite in gear at all. The bad grinding was when I was at high RPM with the clutch out in N and mashed the clutch and put it in High range. (ie, driving on a road at a stop with cars behind and wanting to get moving) I think that my clutch / tranny are fine.

The only remaining running issue is that I get a miss or back fire it I throttle up quickly, bad when cold, not bad at all when warm. Feels like a lean condition. If I play with the choke I can eliminate it. Carb is fixed jet and the tractor runs very well but seems lean...

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #153  
Every time I get back on the old stuff I have to retrain myself on the "manual" manual transmission shifting. :D

Sounds like you are good to go. Some tractors are just cold collared and that seems 'normal'. On the 801's I always featured off the choke in cold weather.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #154  
Have you had a chance to try it out with any of the other implements?

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
I have only used the bush hog. I'm doing other work on the property and I doubt I'll have a use for the others any time soon. I'm looking for a blade or box blade. The machine works very well but I'd love something with a loader. I don't think that the 135 with a loader is what I'm after either.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #157  
Good looking tractor, should run nice and smooth for years to come.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #158  
What a beauty!! Massey Fergusons are really gorgeous tractors, no matter if old models or new!! And you did such amazing job on the 135!!

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Well I really didn't do too much, all the good looks were there, it just needed a bath and some motor parts.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #160  
Hello Z
Nice find w the 135. You did well tearing it down and refreshing the motor,the 3 cyl gas is a good one and will last forever...pretty good on fuel too,thanks for sharing and keep us posted,also more pics too....!!!

Congrats from Conn.