Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #21  
Zslnk, any luck yet?

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
No,
I had a close inspection of the #2 cylinder and although the bores are perfect, there is evidence of rust around the piston/cyl gap. The other cylinders have a clean interface and leak down fluid. I have cleaned out the cyl and I tried a bit of heat and PB Blaster with no luck. I filled that cyl up with PB and closed the hood to deter me from breaking something! I'll take some pics tonight. The #2 cylinder on the head also shows some spots of rust confirming that this was the 'open' cylinder.

Last edited:
   / Massey 135 Barn Find
Here are some pictures of ole' sticky...
IMG-20120805-00468.jpg

IMG-20120805-00469.jpg

IMG-20120805-00473.jpg

IMG-20120805-00471.jpg

IMG-20120805-00472.jpg

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #24  
That is one nice looking 135. I would agree with you that that cylinder's valve was open.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #25  
A guy on another tractor forum has freed many stuck engines with a 50/50 mix of ATF and mineral spirits. He never forces the engine, just lets the ATF do its job and goes out once a day and gently moves the crank pulley back and forth. Patience is a must if you don't want to break something. A few engines took 30 days but he always gets them freed up with no damage. Sometimes he will also bump the starter once a day. Once it does move a little keep doing the back and forth a little more each time.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #26  
yes patience is the key and I have heard that coke is very good for freeing stuck engines. Stop with the torch you are likely to do more damage or start a fire.....let her soak or offer it up for sale as is you coudld sell it on TBN as is.

Larry

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #27  
on another thought are you sure this a a original tractor or could it have been rebuilt before and never used? a parade queen after a working life? Look for wear on pedals, drawbars, etc

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #28  
I think he said based on the size of the tree that grew up, I assume, in front of the barn door that it had been sitting that long. I am guessing there was a death or lack of interest after the purchase. Very nice find and it is cool to see the machines as they were in their day.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #29  
Congrats and good luck on your find.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
on another thought are you sure this a a original tractor or could it have been rebuilt before and never used? a parade queen after a working life? Look for wear on pedals, drawbars, etc

Original for sure, string hang tags on rad hoses. Old style hose clamps. No wear on pedal anti-skid castings, no wear on 3pt system. All original stickers. Rear brakes exactly engaging at the same spot and the clutch system (from the inspection port) has bright yellow springs with no clutch dust on anything. It's original, and currently useless! I need a reliable tractor, need to bushhog the property that was purchased.

Based on the lack of witness marks, I don't believe that the oil filter has been changed or the wheels ever removed.