Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #31  
are there date codes on the tires???

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Front: XA05A05
Rear XA07122
Tractor serial number puts it 1971. 9A123xxx

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #33  
cool any way to decode the tire info?? what brand tires? Not knocking your tractor, hoping it is original, wishing you luck in freeing it up. Keep filling it up and maybe try pouring some in the valve cover to free anything else that might be sticky.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #34  
Personally I would recommend pulling the oil pan, jacking the tractor up a little bit, place a solid block of wood under one of the crankshaft rod bearing journals that is NOT pointed straight up and down, let the tractor down on the block with the journal resting on the block, fill up the cylinders with what ever concoction you like best and leave it for a few days. The weight of the tractor on the block ad rod journal will eventually turn the crankshaft - again the key is patience.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Personally I would recommend pulling the oil pan, jacking the tractor up a little bit, place a solid block of wood under one of the crankshaft rod bearing journals that is NOT pointed straight up and down, let the tractor down on the block with the journal resting on the block, fill up the cylinders with what ever concoction you like best and leave it for a few days. The weight of the tractor on the block ad rod journal will eventually turn the crankshaft - again the key is patience.

The stuck cylinder (I know which one) is almost BDC. I'd also be afraid of pushing the piston and the sleeve out of the block with that approach. I'm going to let it soak for a few weeks and see what happens. I'm changing out the fluid and using some compressed air to drive the fluid into the stuck cylinder past the piston.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #36  
What a find!

Since you have the head off, pour some ATF down the bores and let it sit for a few days. Try rocking it again and if it doesn't move put more ATF on and wait a few more days. There's no easy way to do this. It just takes some time and patience to get it freed up. Once you get it to move a fraction continue the process until it moves freely and you can rotate it with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. By being patient you'll get it free without damaging the bores or the rings.

While you have the head off, spray brake cleaner on the valve stem and guides because they are probabaly sticking , too. You may disolve the rubber oil seals but they are easily replaced. OR pull the valves and clean the guides with brake cleaner and a brass gun brush.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #37  
Another less invasive idea to get slight constant force on the stuck parts would be to put the tractor in gear, jack up the rear wheels and put angled wood blocks under the wheels. Then remove the jack. However you do this, I am sure eventually you will get it to free up. Good luck.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Anyone know what a Perkins 3cyl AG3.152 weights? ie, can two guys get this paperweight into the back of my truck to get it to a machine shop? It's got visible pitting around the liner / crown of the stuck piston and thinking this tractor will be right after forcing it though a couple of revolutions is overly optimistic.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #40  
I'm not sure if you have the desire to try an in-frame overhaul on your own but there are fairly inexpensive kits out there you can get that include new liners, link is just the first one that popped up after a search for this type of kit.

I understand your concern with the pitting, doesn't sound like you've had any luck with it freeing up yet but it might still be worth having a look for yourself once it is.

IK643 - In Frame Overhaul-Rebuild Kit [IK643] - $185.99 : Madison Tractor Company, Quality Farm Tractor Parts, Great Prices