Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #41  
Anyone know what a Perkins 3cyl AG3.152 weights? ie, can two guys get this paperweight into the back of my truck to get it to a machine shop? It's got visible pitting around the liner / crown of the stuck piston and thinking this tractor will be right after forcing it though a couple of revolutions is overly optimistic.

While it's true that the engine is heavy, probably more than 400 pounds as mentioned previously, if you remove the cylinder head, flywheel, and other heavy components, the weight will be reduced to the point that two grown men of average strength should be able to easily lift it into the bed of a pickup truck. For example, my Massey 135 tractor has a Continental Z-145 engine which I believe is a bit heavier than the Perkins 3 cylinder engine, and I can lift the short block by myself. Granted, I wouldn't be carrying it anywhere unless I wanted to risk hurting myself, but I can lift it.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Sounds good. I have it mostly prepared to pull off the tractor. I'm going to wait for a manual before I do something like drop a cam thrust bearing (if there is one) into the pan etc. The front gear set and cam look great. I'm just not sure how far I should strip it down before taking it to a machine shop. I'm thinking that I'll take all the front end gearset and castings off and leave the pan and oil pump intact. Makes for safer transport.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #43  
I'm just not sure how far I should strip it down before taking it to a machine shop. I'm thinking that I'll take all the front end gearset and castings off and leave the pan and oil pump intact. Makes for safer transport.

It depends on what you want the machine shop to do. If you want them to do a complete rebuild then you should only pull the head, flywheel, etc... However, if you only want them to pull the old cylinders and replace them, then you should completely strip the engine down to the bare block. Assuming that you were able to get the stuck piston(s) free. If not, then take it down as far as you can, depending on what you want done.

Most machine shops charge by the hour, so any work you can eliminate by doing it yourself will save you money.

Last edited:
   / Massey 135 Barn Find #44  
Sounds good. I have it mostly prepared to pull off the tractor. I'm going to wait for a manual before I do something like drop a cam thrust bearing (if there is one) into the pan etc. The front gear set and cam look great. I'm just not sure how far I should strip it down before taking it to a machine shop. I'm thinking that I'll take all the front end gearset and castings off and leave the pan and oil pump intact. Makes for safer transport.
Zs, it would be a good idea if you have a machine shop already in mind to touch base with them to see how much they want you to bring in. If it where me. If I could get it to roll in neutral. I'd hire a flatbed car harler to pull it out and take the entire tractor to the machine shop of choice. :thumbsup: JMHO -robert

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #45  
i agree with some of the posters about pb blaster i used it today,i had bolts on a purple martins house pole that's been rusting for 10+ years and sprayed it and waited 10 minutes and came off like it was new,great stuff.i seen ads on tv and really didn't believe what they were claiming but its amazing stuff.you can actually see the fluid sucked in to the nut.i would get a gallon of this in a heart beat and let it work.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #46  
My IH706 was seized after sitting for 10+ years after an electrical fire fried the wiring harness. I drug it home from my FIL's, with the intention of either getting it started or taking it to the salvage yard.

The flywheel had an inspection cover that allowed direct access to the flywheel teeth, the inspection hole was solid cast.

After pouring penetrating oil and motor oil into each cylinder, I took a tire iron, which fit perfectly into the notches of the flywheel teeth. The casting provided an excellent fulcrum point. Every few hours, I would try to rotate the flywheel - both directions. The first couple of days - I couldn't move it al all. Then it moved a fraction of an inch. I let it rest, the reversed the direction, it took several days, but I finally broke it free.

Using the flywheel provided a great deal of leverage. The only greater leverage point would be the rear tires, not possible on a hydraulic trans tractor like the 706.

After I rewired it, boiled out the fuel tank and degunked the carb and fuel lines - I got it started. I used that tractor for several years without any interior engine work.

It's currently my next resto project, and I will rebuild the motor then.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #47  
man thats a awesome find. Why was all that equipment stored so long? Any history on the barn and its contents? Very interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #48  
Howdy Folks,

I will tell you a story about the farmall 130C in my barn, which belongs to my friend. It set for many years and the motor was locked up. The man that owned it gave it to my friend. He got all the pistons out but one and he finally took the block to the local genuine parts store who had a big press. They could not press it out, one of the fella's who worked there told him to pour a can of coke in it. He did and the next day he pulled the piston out by hand.

Now I was away with the military when he did this but he swears thats how it happened and I believe him.

I cant see what harm it would do to try it. Not saying it will work for you but it would cost less than than a dollar and might work.

Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #49  
At this point why not try it, could save a bit of money in the long run.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #50  
Oh man, not one but two great finds! Keep us updated on the motor situation. Hopefully it will be running soon. Did you get the story on why these tractors were purchased and then barely used ?