Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #51  
try kroil.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
Is there any reason why I can't pound a piston down through the bore and out the bottom? (step in the sleeve etc.) I have the pan off and the #2 rod cap off and it spins over nicely. If I don't do this, I'm not sure how to get the sleeve out without banging on the rod to force the assembly up which I do NOT want to do.

I have no story on this tractor, the whole set of implements look unused. The tractor is a '71 and the property was last sold at that time.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #53  
Is there any reason why I can't pound a piston down through the bore and out the bottom? (step in the sleeve etc.) I have the pan off and the #2 rod cap off and it spins over nicely. If I don't do this, I'm not sure how to get the sleeve out without banging on the rod to force the assembly up which I do NOT want to do.

I have no story on this tractor, the whole set of implements look unused. The tractor is a '71 and the property was last sold at that time.

I'm suprised some of the mechanics that knows MF's hasn't chimed in on this. If you have taken the crank bearing loose and able to rotate the crank to where it separates from from the rod, then I don't see a problem tapping down on the piston far enough to scourer the rust ring that's probably binding the piston. If your sucessful, add a bit of oil and it should push right out the top. Good luck. -robert

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #54  
G,Day zsink .
The kid is right on the money If you have the head and sump of and have filled the cylinder bore with Coke, Kroil ,Diesel Etc Remove the connecting rod and the top connecting rod bearing be careful dont damage the shell .turn the crankshaft so that it is clear of the rod and get a block of wood say 12 inches long and as good a fit as you can get to fit inside nice and neat cut one of these green scouring pads ,the one mum uses to clean the pots ,cut it into a circle a little bit smaller than the piston and fit it in there this is just to make sure the load is spread evenly over the top of the piston put the block of wood on top and give the wooden block a decent hit with a 4 pound hammer at first not to hard in case you drive the piston clean out of the bottom of the engine Ha Ha,,you will not break anything keep knocking and I would be surprised if it takes more that three good hits ,just make sure the connecting rod is well clear of the crankshaft journal and as soon as you get movement refit the connecting rod clean ,make sure you put some oil on the bearing before assembly it does not have to be fully torqued up just enough to keep everything in place till you get it apartclean out the hole and put some diesel and engine oil in there just enough to cover the top of the piston crank the engine by hand I guarantee this will get it out .
Happy days.
Hutch

have been out of town for two weeks otherwise I would have answered your query sooner.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
I tried this approach and the top ring of the sleeve broke off the liner and the liner started to move down. Is there any harm in pushing the assembly (sleeve and piston) down the bore if the top ring has already popped off? There is no way to push it up without damaging the rod that's still connected...

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #56  
G,day zslink.
So what we have is the liner and piston stuck together and the piston is dragging the broken liner down??.
If this is the case remove the broken top Flange of the liner It is cast so it can be broken out with care using the ground screwdriver with one side ground curved and carefully tap it between the block and the liner DONT DAMAGE THE BLOCK.
When you have removed the top flange depending how much of the liner is above the piston carefully guide the radious ground screwdriver don and create a releif on the liner being careful not to damage the block take it down to say 1 inch away from the top of the piston thentry cranking the engine by hand to bring the whole lot to the top If you can do this then remove the big end bearing cap and using a long hammer shaft or a piece of heavy doweling with the ned shaped and tap the piston and liner assembly out .
You wont damage the rod or the bearing
If you cant do it this way drag the assembly down and CAREFULLY CHIP THE LINER OF and then crank the engine back to the top and remove.

Happy days.
hutch

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #57  
Impressive find. Sounds like a liner, piston and ring set will get you going.

After all of these years I wonder if the other rings may have lost some tension.

Are you going back with a kit just to be on the safe side since the engine is open?

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #58  
shona13 said:
G,day zslink.
So what we have is the liner and piston stuck together and the piston is dragging the broken liner down??.
If this is the case remove the broken top Flange of the liner It is cast so it can be broken out with care using the ground screwdriver with one side ground curved and carefully tap it between the block and the liner DONT DAMAGE THE BLOCK.
When you have removed the top flange depending how much of the liner is above the piston carefully guide the radious ground screwdriver don and create a releif on the liner being careful not to damage the block take it down to say 1 inch away from the top of the piston thentry cranking the engine by hand to bring the whole lot to the top If you can do this then remove the big end bearing cap and using a long hammer shaft or a piece of heavy doweling with the ned shaped and tap the piston and liner assembly out .
You wont damage the rod or the bearing
If you cant do it this way drag the assembly down and CAREFULLY CHIP THE LINER OF and then crank the engine back to the top and remove.

Happy days.
hutch

Hutch, it sounds like he has rust between the compression rings and oil ring thus locking the piston to the sleeve. This might be a no win situation for the piston. It may have to be driven out from the bottom piston, sleeve and all which could damage the rod doing so. If he can't separate the two, then I don't see any other choice. At any rate the sleeve has to come out as the piston. Damage to the piston may be a casualty to the procedure. -Robert

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #59  
i agree with The kid.

Assuming the priced paid for the tractor was far below wholesale and the buyer can do the work the price of a rebuild kit with even new rods would make sense I think.

To bad it was not pickled but I expect it was a case of the best lain plans of mice and men. Some one expected a different future when they purchased the MF set I am sure.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #60  
Again, use some Kroil.