135 continental dies and will not start.

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
After about 12 hours of trouble free hours my massey started having issues. I cranked it and loaded it on the trailer, trailerred it 15 mins up the road started took it off the trailed and shut it off to gas it up fully. It then would not restart, I pulled it and started it with my truck. It ran well for 2 hours and restarted once with the key. I parked it with the motor running and it died at idle after a minute or so. I pull started it to load it and took it home. To get it off the trailer at home it started with the key and today the key will not start it. When i use the key the starter engages but the engine will not turn over. This morning a placed a new in line filter in place and removed the screen filter in the bowl. I tried starting it with inline filter in and removed. Do you guys think I need to look to the carb or ignition? Also sometimes fuel drips from the tube coming from the air filter when starting. I am thinking carb needs to come off. Help!

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #2  
Also sometimes fuel drips from the tube coming from the air filter when starting. I am thinking carb needs to come off. Help!

This is the clue to what I believe your problem may be. Are you shutting off the fuel after each use? If not, the engine is probably being flooded with gasoline as it leaks past the float valve.

/ 135 continental dies and will not start.
No I do not shut it off. I guess I will start. I just took the carb off and am going to spray it down with carb cleaner and put it back on and see what happens.

Took the carb off and put it back on without cleaning hoping the engine was flooded. Float valves appear to be opening. No change. Any suggestions??

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #5  
Your problem with your 135 sounds a bit like mine. I've battled a leaking carburetor needle and seat issue for years on my TO-35 with the Z134 continental engine with a Carter UT carburetor. I've replaced the needle and seat three times, and had the carburetor off a dozen times. The floats are empty and not rubbing on anything, the float level is set right, the carburetor is vented, the float assist spring is in place, the fuel is clean and filtered, etc. This problem only started when the needles and seats started coming from China . I have to coordinate starting and stopping the engine with shutting off the fuel petcock , or it floods. While the engine is running, there's no problem.

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #6  
Sounds like there may be a couple of issues.
You say "When i use the key the starter engages but the engine will not turn over". If the starter is turning but the engine is not, the starter drive is worn or the ring gear on the flywheel is dinged up and won't let the starter engage. Once you fix that you can trouble shoot the the other potential causes.

For an engine in reasonable mechanical condition to start you have to have the correct fuel/air ratio in the cylinder and a fat bluish-white spark at the right time.

Do you have the requisite spark? Since it ran before and you haven't moved the distributor I would suspect the timing is OK. But the spark or the fuel or both maybe the issue. Check the spark by removing the center wire from the distributor cap, holding it near a good ground and cranking the engine. You should see a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. If you do than it most likely you have a fuel problem. If you don't, then you need to check the primary ignition circuit. Do you have a 6V or a 12V system?

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #7  
[John, as you saying it will not crank the engine as if it had a dead battery? Is the starter engaging but not cranking the engine?

I believe the starter is engaging as it should and turning the motor. It just does not fire up. I will check for good spark when I get home. I have a 12v system.

/ 135 continental dies and will not start. #9  
johnking said:
I believe the starter is engaging as it should and turning the motor. It just does not fire up. I will check for good spark when I get home. I have a 12v system.

John, make sure you didn't pull the choke out by accident. Cut your gas off, Give the air filter a shot of starting fluid spray to see if it will fire up. if it does, then as one suggested, it could be the carb. a stuck float will flood the engine or starve the engine. Sometimes tapping on the side of the carb might release a stuck float. where is your fuel filter located? Mine was very close to the manifold and at the time no heat shield and it would vapor lock after heavy use in high brush. i switched over to high pressure neopreme fuel line and relocated the fuel filter. You said you replaced the filter. Make sure you didn't put it inline backwards.

Getting back to the electrical. Yes make sure you have good spark. Check all your wiring. Make sure the wires are in tight on the neutral safety switch. You did have it in neutral while starting right? :smile:

Do you have the requisite spark? Since it ran before and you haven't moved the distributor I would suspect the timing is OK. But the spark or the fuel or both maybe the issue. Check the spark by removing the center wire from the distributor cap, holding it near a good ground and cranking the engine. You should see a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. If you do than it most likely you have a fuel problem. If you don't, then you need to check the primary ignition circuit.

I removed the center wire and held it near the tie rod and cranked the engine and no spark. What is the next step?