Massey 135 gears will not engage

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
After having electrical issues and trying to pull start my 135 I thought there was more play in the clutch I solved my electrical problem and all was good for about 5 minutes of driving around. When I tried to get the tractor on my trailer the wheels spun due to rain. I went back down the ramps to get a running start and she would not move. I can get the tractor into all the gears but I get no forward or backward movement. Tonight I went and tried to tighten the clutch as stated in the manual and it had no effect. I spoke with the best recommended mechanic in my area and he is booked 3 weeks out. I am planning on taking it to him, does anyone have any suggestions of possible fixes? When looking in through the hydraulic fill cap everything looks good. Any help greatly appreciated.

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage #2  
try engaging the PTO...pretty sure you have a two stage clutch (2 clutches in the pack), but if it doesn't turn/engage when you let out on the clutch you known nothing is getting to the PTO gears...ie. clutch....just to check///bobg in va

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage
When the PTO is engaged and engine off I cannot spin the PTO shaft, when the PTO is not engaged it spins freely by hand. I was told if the PTO is engaged with the engine on and nothing is attatched it very bad things happen.

Last edited:
   / Massey 135 gears will not engage #4  
When the PTO is engaged and engine off I cannot spin the PTO shaft, when the PTO is not engaged it spins freely by hand. I was told if the PTO is engaged with the engine on and nothing is attatched it very bad things happen.

Huh????who told you that....OK...how do think you would start the tractor with a brush hog behind it...or worse yet, a PTO driven hay baler? NOW>>.with the tractor at idle speed, push the clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN...now move the PTO lever back to the ENGINE PTO setting (you may have two settings, one for travel,...ie very slow turning with the rear wheels, or ENGINE,..ie. PTO speed governed by the engine speed. Next just let out the clutch..does the PTO start turning?? BobG in VA

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage #5  
Well said Robert. The only bad thing that I know of is getting caught in a running pto. As I have stated before, leave the seat, turn the pto off.

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage #6  
See my response in you other post!

I was told that with no resistance on the PTO the shaft would spin to fast and possibly shear. Was this wrong ?

/ Massey 135 gears will not engage #8  
Duhhh....yeah...this was wrong... (sorry for the satire....just couldn't help it...)..Truely, if you have any questions...pls ask them here...there's a bunch of folks here that are very learned on the subject..Bobg in VA

I am just starting my tractor journey. I learned a lot trouble shooting my electrical problem, changing gauges and fluids all of which were assisted by this forum and am thankful. My last attempt to fix the tractor will be to use a screw driver through the tranny fill hole to slide the gear as is described when dealing with a stuck gear. I have talked to the repair guy and am scheduled to drop the tractor off next week for repair. It will take 3 weeks for him to get to my tractor though. Thanks for the help.

PTO will turn when engaged. I opened up the tranny fill hole and gears are turning when engaged. Every now and again the tractor will go into reverse and slowly move backwards but will stop on any small incline due to lack of power.