MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking #91  
Paint often hurts the useful value of a tractor.

Someone said something about the blems on the old PU we are fixing up for the son. I said they were fine because when driving it I can just back up until I hear/feel impact then pull forward. :D

/ MF 165 knocking
Funny you said that. I been thinkin it doesn't need paint until I finish the majority of clean up work the tractor was bought for on 18 acres that we had trees cut off of because wouldn't won't to scratch the new paint to much.

Paint often hurts the useful value of a tractor.

Someone said something about the blems on the old PU we are fixing up for the son. I said they were fine because when driving it I can just back up until I hear/feel impact then pull forward. :D

/ MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking #94  

I see the oil pressure gauge appears to be factory original. If the gauge fills with oil dump it before it explodes. Mine did, I had hot oil and glass shards on the side of my face.By a fluke I had just looked away, so I still have both eyes.

/ MF 165 knocking
Good advise, but all the gauges shown I put in new. Glad you didn't have serious injury from yours.

I see the oil pressure gauge appears to be factory original. If the gauge fills with oil dump it before it explodes. Mine did, I had hot oil and glass shards on the side of my face.By a fluke I had just looked away, so I still have both eyes.

/ MF 165 knocking #96  
Sounds like someone used to much starting fluid on it to me, and shattered the piston sleeve. It is possible to replace it without removing the engine from the transmission. I would remove the front end, like some one said earlier, it could break the block if it slips. Just did a complete rebuild on mine. Maybe around $500, that was having the crank turned, new main and rod bearings, one new connecting rod, all new pistons and rings, and an upper and lower gasket set.

Look closely before removing the head, there is an oil line that runs from the block to the head and you will bust it unless you remove it 1st.

Good luck, and it is rewarding and fun.

/ MF 165 knocking #97  
Sounds like someone used to much starting fluid on it to me, and shattered the piston sleeve. It is possible to replace it without removing the engine from the transmission. I would remove the front end, like some one said earlier, it could break the block if it slips. Just did a complete rebuild on mine. Maybe around $500, that was having the crank turned, new main and rod bearings, one new connecting rod, all new pistons and rings, and an upper and lower gasket set.

Look closely before removing the head, there is an oil line that runs from the block to the head and you will bust it unless you remove it 1st.

Good luck, and it is rewarding and fun.

you might want to read the thread.
it was a spun rod bearing and the op has done a great job of rebuilding the engine.
Excellent pictures and info and a great read:thumbsup:

/ MF 165 knocking
Approaching 200hrs since the engine rebuilt and still running strong! Only issue was replacing alternator and belt.

/ MF 165 knocking #99  
Approaching 200hrs since the engine rebuilt and still running strong! Only issue was replacing alternator and belt.

Awesome report. Should be good for 2000 hours or much longer. Thanks for the detailed photos too.

/ MF 165 knocking
Dragging up a old thread about my engine rebuild. The engine held up great and didn't ever do much else to keep the tractor working. Put about 500 hours on it. About a year ago I bought a 2012 JD 5045E 4wd with loader. The MF was sold and was going to be shipped to Ghana West Africa. The purchaser was originally from Ghana and was donating it to a school there for grounds maintenance. I was so impressed by his action that I gave him a few hundred dollors back and told him to get something else useful for the school with it.