MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking
G'day Da Butcher.
Good to hear from you again.
I,d say your approach to the job is spot on,everything nice and clean,excellent pictures and I am sure the members would like to see MORE, Please.
Keep up the good work.
Regards.
Hutch.

Shona, glad you are here. Hope you have some insight on the older block with indirect head posted above.

/ MF 165 knocking #42  
I did use several products including Gunk degreaser followed by the Simple Green the lots of pressure washing

Looking good. Oven cleaner also makes a good degreaser (for the really tough stuff), but it's caustic and can remove paint.

/ MF 165 knocking
Looking good. Oven cleaner also makes a good degreaser (for the really tough stuff), but it's caustic and can remove paint.

Thanks Massey, even though it is not any where on the the level of restoration you are doing on your tractor. My goal at this point is to have a descent, safe, working tractor. Maybe someday this one will get the TLC I read about in your restoration thread.

/ MF 165 knocking #44  
Thanks Massey, even though it is not any where on the the level of restoration you are doing on your tractor. My goal at this point is to have a descent, safe, working tractor. Maybe someday this one will get the TLC I read about in your restoration thread.

You're doing a great job regardless. It doesn't matter what level or repair or restoration one does, it's all good to me. In my case, I've come to call it temporary insanity as opposed to restoration. :)

/ MF 165 knocking
Hmm, my serial number on the block does indicate direct injection s/n 203UA 82608D........At this point I don't know if the parts guy is mistaken, his parts reference is wrong or something else is odd about the liners in this engine. Head does have injectors at a angle, indicating direct injection :confused:

pre1978enginenumber_zps7cbb514a.jpg

/ MF 165 knocking
I got the correct overhaul kit, now have liners installed
P2230180_zpsbb68cca2.jpg

Several engine parts cleaned and prepared for install while waiting for the crank and head from machine shop

P2230178_zpsd241b255.jpg

P2230181_zps55b37707.jpg

P2230182_zps74ea1593.jpg

/ MF 165 knocking #47  
Several engine parts cleaned and prepared for install while waiting for the crank and head from machine shop

Looks great, especially the injection pump. :thumbsup:

/ MF 165 knocking
WooHoo
P3020185_zpsee820937.jpg

P3020186_zps498fbb82.jpg

/ MF 165 knocking
I had a interesting conversation with the man the tractor was purchased from today. I had no idea he had this tractor since 1978. It was a trade in at a MF dealer from a farmer that needed a larger tractor to handle a round hay baler that were just getting popular here about that time. He believed the tractor to be a 74 model, but the serial number shows it to be a 72 model, irrelevant actually because MF built the 165 with only small changes for 9 years ending in 75 (other parts of the world could get very similar versions through 79).

About 10 years ago he had #1 hole repaired because the piston sleeve let loose and fell into the engine. 5 years ago both clutches were replaced. Engine knock started about 10 hours of run time after a oil change. He told me with a chuckle that most of the dents were done by his deceased son. Don't know if this interest anyone else, but I like knowing the history.