MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking #51  
I had a interesting conversation with the man the tractor was purchased from today. I had no idea he had this tractor since 1978. It was a trade in at a MF dealer from a farmer that needed a larger tractor to handle a round hay baler that were just getting popular here about that time. He believed the tractor to be a 74 model, but the serial number shows it to be a 72 model, irrelevant actually because MF built the 165 with only small changes for 9 years ending in 75 (other parts of the world could get very similar versions through 79).

About 10 years ago he had #1 hole repaired because the piston sleeve let loose and fell into the engine. 5 years ago both clutches were replaced. Engine knock started about 10 hours of run time after a oil change. He told me with a chuckle that most of the dents were done by his deceased son. Don't know if this interest anyone else, but I like knowing the history.

Knowing the history only makes it more interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

/ MF 165 knocking #52  
Nice work. Did the crankshaft you purchase need much or any grinding to get it true?

/ MF 165 knocking
   / MF 165 knocking #54  
   / MF 165 knocking
Just about got the bottom end done tonight, would have but kit was missing a couple gaskets that go on the aluminium piece between pan and front cover.

P3070196_zps20cd45f6.jpg

Pretty sure the little engine stand let out a groan as the pan was lowered to the block
P3070197_zpsefb826ac.jpg

Gasket kit came with a cork gasket for the rear pan seal(the gasket I took out was white rubber) so I felt a little silicone was needed
P3070198_zps208bddda.jpg

When I originally took the pan off the oil pick up screen was squashed some so I wanted to make sure that didn't happen to me
P3070206_zps65b7226e.jpg

P3070202_zps91df7097.jpg

/ MF 165 knocking #56  
Lookin good Butcher..:thumbsup: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking #57  
What/why is the stuff around the rod caps that looks like white grease in the photo to me.

Again you do good work and thanks for continuing to take the photos and post them.

/ MF 165 knocking #58  
What/why is the stuff around the rod caps that looks like white grease in the photo to me.

White grease is precisely what it is. In fact, it's Lubriplate #105 engine assembly grease... I know it well and use it all the time myself. If you look closely, you will see the tube of Lubriplate #105 in one of the pictures he posted previously on post #48.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...age/258591-mf-165-knocking-5.html#post3215511

http://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/3_13-100-Series.aspx

http://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/MSDS/105.aspx

/ MF 165 knocking #59  
Do you just put it around the outside or under the caps when installing?

/ MF 165 knocking #60  
Do you just put it around the outside or under the caps when installing?

You put it on the bearing surfaces, under the caps. The residue you see outside the caps is just squeezed out as the cap bolts are tightened. It's also great for many other things too.