Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

Default Re: MF 165 knocking

Worked on the injection pump leaks today. Typical of the CAV pump that the kill shaft, accelerator shaft and top cover were leaking. I won't go into detail about the procedure because that has been discussed many times on this forum and others. I will offer pics that other post are lacking in. Orings and gasket at the local dealer were less than $5.00

The nuts inside the black circle are the only thing that holds the top cover on and are somewhat fragile so don't over-torque on reassembly, also they have a sealing washer under them.

Remove the top cover gently

Pay attention to where the spring hooks in what someone else coined as the "tombstone". Mine was in the bottom slot, also on the other end of the spring there are three choices so check that location also

A view of the "tombstone" circled with green and the kill lever circled in red

In red is the bottom of the kill shaft that fits into previously mentioned kill lever

In green is the bottom of the accelerator shaft with a good view of the three spring choice holes, mine was in the center (look close and wear in that hole is obvious)

Both shafts shown, the orings were hard and brittle causing the leaks. I installed new orings with a generous amount of Vaseline in the center groove and a little on the orings.

The gasket has a couple tabs, tab goes under the plate as shown in the last pic.

Ran it for half an hour and no more leaks on the injection pump.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old

What kind of sealant was used. It looked like caramel chewing gum in picture two and three. -kid

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

LOL, it looks bad but was just a red gasket that was diesel soaked

Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    What kind of sealant was used. It looked like caramel chewing gum in picture two and three. -kid

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

Put the old wires in the garbage where they belonged and made up my own harness.

After months of looking finally bought a 2005 6ft Bush Hog for half of new price. Still working on and getting to know this tractor so I shredded a couple hours with the tractor naked (naked tractor, not me ). The tractor still needs some TLC on things like PTO seal, clutch adjustment (grinds when engaging PTO), going to put in better gauges for oil pressure and coolant temp. (don't like the Chinese made ones I got from the MF dealer)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old

Nice job on the wiring. It looks like you used the same type of ign/starter switch. More versatile. Looking great DaButcher. -kid

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Very nice photos. I need to get that done now on the old 265 I got from my late FIL.

You will like the 6' bushhog. Ours came with a very very heavy 7' bushhog and it makes the weighted front end still too light and will just cut out the tractor tires the way he had them set up. Since I have some 40 degree slopes I just left the wheels 7' wide.

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

I could have bought a new Howse 7ft that weighed 1400lb for $1750 (Bush Hog weighs 700lb I think), but decided it was to heavy for a 40+ year old tractor with OEM tires. Sounds like I made a good decesion by your explanation Gale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    Very nice photos. I need to get that done now on the old 265 I got from my late FIL.

You will like the 6' bushhog. Ours came with a very very heavy 7' bushhog and it makes the weighted front end still too light and will just cut out the tractor tires the way he had them set up. Since I have some 40 degree slopes I just left the wheels 7' wide.

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

Thanks Kid
    Agree 100% on the switch being more versatile. Could even turn on the lights with the tractor not running if I had lights that work

Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    Nice job on the wiring. It looks like you used the same type of ign/starter switch. More versatile. Looking great DaButcher. -kid

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

I guess "liquid overhaul" needs to be on my list, my granddaughter calls the 165 "grandpa's ugly old tractor"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old

Quoting Art Linkletter "Kid's say the darndest things."

Attachment 319642

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast