Bronze Member
    Tractor
    '69 MF 135

Default Massey Ferguson 135 electrical woes

A brief back story, I purchased the tractor from my neighbor who moved back to the city. He has owned it at least the last 10 years. He only ran it a few days a year and got by with a dead battery jumping two get it running. I have more grass and lots of other projects and wanted to turn it into a daily driver type of tractor.

The previous owner did an alternator swap on the tractor and I believe went with a 3 wire setup. I bought a new battery for it and can already tell it was getting run down after a few starts and unhooking the battery when not in use. A few sketchy wires that I believe I finally cleaned up.

My concern is the alternator is not charging the battery for one of man reasons. First the only line run to the positive battery terminal in any way is the heavy cable to the starter. No line directly from the alternator or ammeter. The only way the battery could get any positive charge if positive current flowed across the starter solenoid?

Another issue is the ammeter never shows positive just stays in the middle.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    '69 MF 135

Default Re: Massey Ferguson 135 electrical woes

Shot of the alternator. The biggest line from the alternator bat. Terminal runs up to the ammeter.

The yellow line is the line from the alternator running by the solenoid up to the ammeter. The top is the positive battery and the bottom goes to the starter. The right prong appears to be from the keyed switch.

Shot of the gauges, is the brown box the original voltage regulator? I believe I read with it present you can not get a positive battery charge?

Does the setup appear correct or is it totally wrong? Is there a link to the appropriate setup for my situation? Not looking for the world but would like to be able to leave the battery hooked up and start it as needed.

Not sure what needs to do about the lack of lights.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

The black box is the voltage regulator for your old dynamo (generator). If the new alternator is self regulating the block box and go bye bye. It will actually restrict full charging on a dead battery condition. Is this on a diesel? Alternators are really simpler that using a voltage regulator and more reliable. If you research auto gen to alt, it's the same principle If the alt is self regulating will make wiring simplified. People stick an alternator in where a generator was and leave all the generator and voltage regulator circuits and it later creates a mess. They use the voltage regulator as a terminal connection. I used a terminal block to clean up the wiring and make it easier to trace out for troubleshooting. A three wire Delco Remy actually uses only two wires in the charging circuit. One of the twin wires in the plug actually is jumped to the battery terminal, thus only two are routed thru your circuit.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 135

Scott did you get this fixed?