Couple MF 135 questions?

/ Couple MF 135 questions? #1  

scott123456789

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 MF 135
I have 4 posts on my starter solenoid. What are they supposed to be?

What electronics are needed for the motor if diesel? Doesn't seem to a single wire going to the motor.

Running and alternator and getting 17.5+ volts to the battery when running. Is that going to cook the battery or tolerable?

Where can you get replacement lights? I was getting that same reading (17.7v) to the lights but none of them work. I assume that was too much and burnt them up.

Also there are 4 positions on the light switch, what are they?

/ Couple MF 135 questions? #2  
I have 4 posts on my starter solenoid. What are they supposed to be?

What electronics are needed for the motor if diesel? Doesn't seem to a single wire going to the motor.

Running and alternator and getting 17.5+ volts to the battery when running. Is that going to cook the battery or tolerable?

Where can you get replacement lights? I was getting that same reading (17.7v) to the lights but none of them work. I assume that was too much and burnt them up.

Also there are 4 positions on the light switch, what are they?

Scott, here is a wiring diagram of a 135 Diesel. Mind you this diagram shows a generator. There may be four wires on your solenoid but not four terminals, one is actually the battery cable.

View attachment 282828

/ Couple MF 135 questions? #3  
This was posted my JJ in British Columbia, Canada last year on this site. This might help you even more.

View attachment 282829

/ Couple MF 135 questions?
IMG_0882.jpg

I know the top is the positive from battery, the bottom is direct to the starter. I believe the "terminal" closer to the block is the key switch as it isnt hot while running but I couldn't test it while holding the volt meter on the starter.

What am trying to figure out is what is the connection opposite the block for. It is hot, and unless I have a hidden short is directly linked to the battery terminal as somehow the 17 volts from the alternator is getting to the battery even though they are not directly linked. This very much could be my ignorance but are those to terminals supposed to be connected.

/ Couple MF 135 questions? #5  
scott123456789 said:
I know the top is the positive from battery, the bottom is direct to the starter. I believe the "terminal" closer to the block is the key switch as it isnt hot while running but I couldn't test it while holding the volt meter on the starter.

What am trying to figure out is what is the connection opposite the block for. It is hot, and unless I have a hidden short is directly linked to the battery terminal as somehow the 17 volts from the alternator is getting to the battery even though they are not directly linked. This very much could be my ignorance but are those to terminals supposed to be connected.

one of those smaller terminals should be routed to your neutral safety switch, and from there to the run position on the ignition switch.