Couple more MF 135 Questions

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #1  

scott123456789

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 MF 135
Backing off on attacking the electrical system until I can work out a few other bugs. I have next to nothing invested in the tractor and it works but there are some things I would like more info on and decide how quickly they need to be addressed.

Previous owner informed me PTO engaged just barely off the foot rest. After reading up on clutch free-play I realized I had between 2 and 3 inches. I got it back to the 5/16" measurement I read about here. I was hoping this would not only improve engagement point but also help with some grinding I have been experiencing. If I leave the tractor in Neutral and let it sit, it wants to grind before going into gear. Its not back into first but it really doesn't like to go into reverse from neutral. Between gears is just fine its really just from sitting in neutral for a bit and going into reverse. How serious/where do I start?

Second is when the tractor is running there is a drip leak from the full shutoff rod on the injector pump. I have read quite a few threads about it but it seems people keep linking the same post about getting the CAV number. How bad is this repair? It doesn't leak when the shutoff is pulled so I haven't been overly anxious to attack the issue when it runs as well as it does.

Last two issues are 3 point related. They may be related but being my first tractor and really first time being around a tractor at all I really don't know what to look for or what to check. The first piece is it appears the "Position Control" lever does nothing. I have raised draft control to the highest setting as stated in the owners manual, the three point lifts to full up but moving the position control doesn't bring it down or appear to have any effect on the system. It may have 500 hours since any fluids have been changed but I don't have much of a service record for the tractor. Where should I start trouble shooting and how serious could it get? I know its not optimal but the draft lever appears to work perfect and while a bit annoying for running the bush hog it does everything else I need perfect.

Somewhat related. When carrying something in the full up position with the draft control lever there is either a slight squeak sounds like bad belt/brake squeak or just a hint of a grinding sound. If I lower the 3 point at all the sound goes away. Could this be at all related to the lack of position control and as stated above where do I start.

The tractor works great and runs strong but before I commit to sticking with it and rebuilding the electrical system I would like to address these issues.
Any help or advice would be great.

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #2  
Scott, I have read various fixes on threads. I have a similar problem, my position control is rusted in place just below constant pumping. I have to raise and lower the 3 point with the draft.

Your problem sounds like its not hooked up internally but I don't know enough to give advice. Just letting you know your not alone.

I hope you get it working.

v/r

Mike

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #3  
G'day scott1-------------------9.

Even with the clutch properly adjusted the gearbox will grate a bit when engaging gears as you say,the fact that the gearbox is non synchromesh is the reason, this is normal .

The fuel leak on the pump I don,t know how mechanicaly apt you are so I will say ,unless the fuel leak is real bad It would be best left alone ,To repair requires the removal of the injector pump top cover ,replacing shaft seals and the top cover gasket,a fairly simple job but it can be got wrong,That will be your decission.

The hydraulic control issue Example if you want a positive POSITION on the linkage set the DRAFT lever to UP like you are doing and the position control lever SHOULD infinitly control the position of the three point linkage that is move the position control lever down a little and the linkage will lower accordingly AND STAY THERE,if it is not doing this
Remove the sideplate ,the one on the right hand side with the transmission dipstick ,look inside and operate the POSITION control lever and see what it does ,it should remain in contact with the control valve roller AT ALL TIMES ,It should not lose contact,to compare set the Position Control Lever to TRANSPORT and operate the DRAFT lever and again watch and see if there is any difference as in maintaining contact with the control lever the roller you see is indirectly connected to the control valve if you carefully move it by hand there should be a constant spring pressure when you move it forward and the hydraulics will/should respond to the movement of the valve check all of this and let us know and we can go from there .

The Mouse in the gearbox : The noise you hear is the hydraulic relief valve lifting which tells me the Position Control Lever is Possibly Stuck in CONSTANT PUMPING and the guy inside the gearbox with the hammer is the pump rattling as it leaves the constant pumping position Hovering if you like.
If the position control lever was working as intended you would only hear this noise when operating in the area of Constant pumping to Position, it is not good to hear this noise,as driving with the hydraulics in constant pumping will expose the pump to unneccesary maximum pressure and will in the long term result in premature wear of the pump,also the tractor will suffer a power loss by the fact that the pump when in this position uses around three horsepower .
Check all of this and post back ,some photo,s would be good and remember not only work safe,but especially when using the brushhog be aware of flying debris and keep all living things well away from the operation.
Happy Days
Hutch.

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #4  
G'day vegaome.
Look up underneath the casting where the levers go into the gearbox and you will see the position control shaft dissapear inside,get a can of your favourite ,wd40 etc and give it a good spray ,soak the shaft housing area and keep doing so ,operating the position control lever just, be carefull don,t put to much force on the lever as you could quite easily bend something maybe try a bit of heat on the top section of the casting ,be careful, ,this should fix your problem .
Happy Days .
Hutch.

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #5  
Howdy Hutch,
Thats what I have been doing, except for the heat part. I spray it and work it some every couple of days. I got to tell you though its pretty rusty. Thank you for always giving good advice to everyone.

v/r
Mike

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions
IMG_0884_zps5deba0c6.jpg

lever position
IMG_0887_zpsa972da38.jpg

Pump Position

IMG_0888_zps5a36b525.jpg

Draft down Position up
IMG_0889_zps20bd825d.jpg

Pump Position

IMG_0891_zps71318e5a.jpg

Draft Up Position Down
IMG_0895_zpsa5a1500f.jpg

Pump

I started it all was good until I moved the draft too high. Constant Pumping does appear to be the issue. Hydraulic fluid spewed slightly and I dropped it back down. What do I need to do to get the pump out of constant pumping position? It it corrected for the linkage areas up top to be totally caked in grease??

Have my tractor apart now please help!!!

Bump it up. Was working on it again today. Tried adjusting the lever and even at extreme ranges still no movement on the pump.

Should the position control contact the pump the same way the position lever does? What changes with the position control, control that locks the position? Is there a chance that portion of the control is stuck?

Is this going to require taking off therear cover? Just how heavy would that be?

/ Couple more MF 135 Questions #8  
G'day scott1-----------------9.
Excellent photographs .
Everything looks good in there Quick Question what type and grade of oil are you using?

I cant quite understand what you are asking maybe have a think and ask again!

With the DRAFT lever in the up position and left there the Position control lever has a adjustable Sector block at the upper limit of the position lifting range that can be loosened of and moved down the slotted hole on the Position control indicator plate ,so lets say when you move the Position lever up and the pump relief valve lifts that is when you hear the hiss and the oil sprays around in there,undo the two bolts that hold the sliding block and move the block down until the relief valve reseats then move it another say 1/4 " ,lock it up and operate the Position lever through its range ,lets say the lift arms are at the lowered position move the Position control lever one inch and the lift arms will move proportionally do this all the way up and when you get to the top the lift arms should hold this position without the relief valve lifting.
You may have to make some internal adjustments I will explain this if need be later.
Try that

P.S.
Take a photograph of the position of the levers and what is happening at the various points!!
Regards.
Hutch.

Not sure on the type of oil, it came free with the tractor.

The pictures are trying to show what the levers are doing and the corresponding picture inside. That's why I asked should I see on the last picture the pump control move in the side plate since the position control is all the way down in the picture or does it control the pump in a different way?

Does moving the position stop control something inside? I took off the two clam shell supports and rotated the postion lever all the way around and couldn't see anything move inside. Also even with the position control all the way down it still hisses and pops.