Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 148 .Chamberlain Super 70. Caterpillar D4. Chamberlain 354 FEL.Toro 268 rideon kubota L2002fel

Default Re: Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics

G'day scott1----------------9.
    So the lift cover is of ,I like your approved lifting arrangement ,better than trying to remove by hand ,there is less chance of losing fingers etc.
    You did remove the roller from the control valve first?? .
    Drain all oil there are two drain plugs on the Left hand side of the transmission one near the front and the other below the pto lever .
    You will see the hydraulic filter when the oil has drained it should be secured with a lockwire ,cut and remove the wire and remov ethe filter check out the condition real closely especially the moulded end caps ,if they are at all brittle fit a new filter otherwise you will be taking the lift cover of in the near future to fix a stuck control valve.
    Clean the old filter and refit temporarily refit the drain plugs and FILL THE TRANSMISSION WITH DIESEL up to the bottom blot hole on the side plate,start and run the tractor ON IDLE and let it run for say 1/2 hour let the oil cycle through the grearbox and flushh out the debris ,once flushed drain thoroughly overnight would be good then spray everything witheither gasoline or brakleen,solvent type cleaner ,the cleaner you get it the better again if the filter looks anything like crap once cleaned replace it even if you have to borrow some money from mum,use good quality oil.
    If you are not going to spend money at least replace the stack pipe O rings and backup washers and deffinatly the lift cover and side plate gaskets.
    There are two thickness gaskets available , Get the thick ones if you can Do not use gasket eliminator on the lift cover it needs a bit of cushioning between the cover and the casing.

When refitting the cover use two of the long bolts from the rear of the cover as guide studs ,fit them to the front corner holes.
    Thats all .
    Regards Hutch.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    '69 MF 135

I did remove the roller first. I will be replacing the fluid. I just went by the ex-Massey dealer in town where the tractor came from. Based on their book they said it just had a wire filter and to clean it with diesel. That didn't sound like what y'all described but I haven't drained the fluid yet.

Also they suggested just using rtv for gaskets. O rings seemed good but I have no problem replacing them. Do they have to come for a Massey dealer or is that a napa possible item or tractor supply?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

under no circumstances use rtv instead of the gaskets.

and DO use new orings.

old orings get hard.

I'd never put an assy back together with old orings.

you MIGHT find them in a master kit if they are not square cut.. otherwise they will be a listed dealer item in the hyds parts breakdown

Elite Member
    Tractor

My Massey 135 tractor also had a lot of grease in the sump after I removed the hydraulic lift cover. Good job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123