/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #1  

scott123456789

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 MF 135
IMG_0901_zps9e487bbb.jpg

Seemed pretty clean after 40 years....

IMG_0912_zpsbe0561d5.jpg

Thinking this may have had something to do with the levers not functioning properly.

IMG_0911_zpsab8072f8.jpg

The OSHA approved rig that made everything possible. Guys aren't lying when they say the lift cover is heavy!

IMG_0903_zps65f46ddd.jpg

Does the hydraulic fluid look terrible? I believe it has at least 600 hours on it if not a bit more.

IMG_0905_zpsa10c1cf9.jpg

The ram piston should be moderately compressed the the ram rod dangling loose correct?

IMG_0906_zpsc34134e6.jpg

The spring binding here may have been the culprit, I accidently let the spring come off but on reassembly the position lever moved the pump relief valve...

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics
IMG_0908_zps79816371.jpg

Few other pictures for reference, seems like there aren't many of the whole system.

IMG_0907_zpsa9045026.jpg

IMG_0909_zps959daca7.jpg

Hour meter, not bad for a 69.

IMG_0910_zpsd3bd223a.jpg

Implements that were included in the deal...

IMG_0916_zpsed202687.jpg

Custom seat I rigged up.

So now that I have the lift cover off and the position lever appears to actually function, what do I need to do? While I have it apart what needs to be checked/replaced?

How aggressively do i clean the obnoxious grease? Some sort of solvent?
Factory gasket or RTV?
Filter replace or just clean? Its somewhere in the bottom correct?
What adjustments do I check while everything is accessible?

I may have screwed up big time but I didn't mark the transport position as I didn't have the manual before I started. It wouldn't have helped much as I was stuck in constant pumping mode anyway. When it comes time to through the cover back on, how do I position the lift arms and how do I position both levers?

Any other words of wisdom would be outstanding. Not sure if I am going to call friends to get the cover back on or just use my custom lift again.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #4  
   / Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #5  
I have had good success using spray brake cleaner to remove anything covered in crud. That said as with any solvent make sure to remove all solvent residue before putting things back together.

I was reading in the manual all about setting the transport height of the lift arms. Since I didn't take off the lift arms or control levers, do I have to worry about where the lift arms are sitting when I re-install? Before starting the motor I would assume I want to have both levers full down as not to try and fill the ram cylinder on start up?

How much does the hydraulic fluid run per gallon? Was almost hoping to get by without having to replace and just top off with fresh. But not sure if the green/brown tint means it way past due already.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #7  
leave the rtv at home.. use factory gaskets and whatnot..

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #8  
I was reading in the manual all about setting the transport height of the lift arms. Since I didn't take off the lift arms or control levers, do I have to worry about where the lift arms are sitting when I re-install? Before starting the motor I would assume I want to have both levers full down as not to try and fill the ram cylinder on start up?

How much does the hydraulic fluid run per gallon? Was almost hoping to get by without having to replace and just top off with fresh. But not sure if the green/brown tint means it way past due already.

I use this stuff from Tractor Supply

Traveller® Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal. - 0806391 | Tractor Supply Company

The 135 manual calls out a MF spec number M-1129 for the hydraulic fluid. Check the label on the container to see that the fluid meets this spec and you'll be OK.

You need 8 gallons of the stuff, so about $70 to refill.

Good luck.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Hydraulics Success and Laughable Pics #9  
AFTER ALL THAT WORK, I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER not CHANGING IT OUT.

i'D SPRAY THE SUMP DOWN WITH DIESEL AND LET IT DRAIN OUT TOO.

(oops.. caps )

check out the premium utf at tsc or walmart.

probably meets specs..e tc..

WD-40, diesel, brake cleaner? All of the above.