MF 135 carburetor adjustments

/ MF 135 carburetor adjustments #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
My 135 has a continental Z145 engine in it. It runs rough and I am going to tune it up. I don't have manuals yet and want to check the carb adjustments. Anything I should be aware of when adjusting the carb. I am familiar with adjusting auto carbs but this is my first tractor. I'm thinking they should be the same.

/ MF 135 carburetor adjustments #3  
My 135 has a continental Z145 engine in it. It runs rough and I am going to tune it up. I don't have manuals yet and want to check the carb adjustments. Anything I should be aware of when adjusting the carb. I am familiar with adjusting auto carbs but this is my first tractor. I'm thinking they should be the same.

Unless your familiar with vintage car carbs, there is a difference. Don't buy manuals on CD's you see as the ultimate manual. They are crap!!

Send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a couple of pages which are scanned into a PDF file of my operators manual that covers carb adjustment.

The pages only show how to adjust the Marvel carb. If after adjusting and you don't get the desired results, there could be issues within the carb where it have to be broken down and probably rebuild it. There is a brand name embedded into the carb as to which brand it it. The most common was the Marvel. That's what is on my 1965 Z145.

BTW the manual for sale on eBay is a 1968 vintage manual which should cover everything on yours. I bought a 1966 manual off eBay. Be careful when screwing in your adjustments to set them. Some of the tips can be damaged by overtighning before turning them out while adjusting.

Disconnect your gas line to see if you have a good gravity flow of fuel going to the carb, since there is no fuel pump. Check the cut off on the oposite side rear of the tank and if if the screen is dirty.

There is a website where you can find parts for your tractor. goto: AGCO Parts Books then sign in as GUEST input make and model and pull up the 135. It list every known part for the tractor. Mind you not all parts are available, but most are. I cannnot stress enough the importance of having manuals before working on one of these classics. I am currently refurbishing a 65. Your welcome to brown my thread to see how some things go together.

One of the best investments I've made is buying the AGCO official PARTS and SERVICE manual. You should also get the OPERATORS/OWNERS manual. The owners manual I've mentions that they are for sale on a regular basis on eBay. They sell for anywhere from 15-30 bucks.

/ MF 135 carburetor adjustments
Thanks, PM sent.

/ MF 135 carburetor adjustments #5  

Before futzing with the carb, make sure the ignition system give you a FAT, BLUISH-WHiTE SPARK, the color of lightning.

If you have a Marvel-Schebler, they are generally1-1/8 turns out (never go below one turn out because the engine needs that level of enrichment as a minimum for charge cooling) on the main jet and 7/8 turn out on the idle air needle. The idle mixture needle controls air flow around the throttle plate so it's bass ackwards for enrichment. You screw it in to enrich the idle mixture.

A good check on a warm engine is to slam accelerate and the engine should accelerate smoothly without coughing.