MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column

/ MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column #1  

gjpat1

Tractor
MF 135
Hello everyone, have searched this site for info on P/S leak but havn't found much information. Hope I'm not repeating someone else question. I just bought a 1965 MF 135 tractor with a gas engine. Was told the tractor hasn't been run for more than 10 years. Hoping to do a good restore on it.
Got it running with very little work, but no power asst. on steering. Filled P/S pump, and all the oil got pumped out of a litle vent hole in top of steering column. Pulled column and replaced o ring and seal, as soon as I started the engine, seal popped and started leaking again even before I could turn the steering wheel.

Pulled the return line at pump, good flow coming back to pump, pulled control valve, can't see any visible cause in valve. Anyone know what I should look for next. Thanks for the help in advance.

This tractor does not have seprate hyd rams at each front wheel, the asst. ram is tied into the back of the steering gear. Thanks. Pat

/ MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column #2  
:welcome:

/ MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column
Thank You.:)

Last edited:
   / MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column #4  
you may have to rebuild the steering cylinder. Do you have a service manual?

Yes, that was the first thing that I bought.

/ MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column #6  
gjpat1 said:
Hello everyone, have searched this site for info on P/S leak but havn't found much information. Hope I'm not repeating someone else question. I just bought a 1965 MF 135 tractor with a gas engine. Was told the tractor hasn't been run for more than 10 years. Hoping to do a good restore on it.
Got it running with very little work, but no power asst. on steering. Filled P/S pump, and all the oil got pumped out of a litle vent hole in top of steering column. Pulled column and replaced o ring and seal, as soon as I started the engine, seal popped and started leaking again even before I could turn the steering wheel.

Pulled the return line at pump, good flow coming back to pump, pulled control valve, can't see any visible cause in valve. Anyone know what I should look for next. Thanks for the help in advance.

This tractor does not have seprate hyd rams at each front wheel, the asst. ram is tied into the back of the steering gear. Thanks. Pat

Sounds like a bad relief valve in the pump..

Thanks for the information, I have the system drained so I will check the relief valve tonight. Ive attached a pic of the beast the way I found her in the field.

Attachments

• DSCN4931.jpg
    DSCN4931.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 3,234
Pulled the pump, cleaned and striped it down, unscrewed relief valve but cant get it out. It moves in and out about 1/4 inch but gets stuck. Not sure whats going on, will work on it somemore tomarrow.

/ MF 135 Power Steering leak from top of column #9  
Pulled the pump, cleaned and striped it down, unscrewed relief valve but cant get it out. It moves in and out about 1/4 inch but gets stuck. Not sure whats going on, will work on it somemore tomarrow.
The manual says this is not a reusuable part, so it must get damaged when removed. Did you check and clean the filter?

So the dealer says relief valve obsolete, not available. I guess I'm screwed will have to buy a new pump for $600.00. Yes filter cleaned and OK. Thanks