135 High Idle

/ 135 High Idle #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
I rebuilt the carb on my 135 Z145. The rebuild went great and the tractor runs a lot better. But it idles real high and the idle adjustment screw doesn't change it. I've checked the linkage and it seems to be ok. Is there something in the rebuild that I may have done wrong? It cranks right up and runs real strong but idle is around 1200rpms.

/ 135 High Idle #2  
ArcherXC said:
I rebuilt the carb on my 135 Z145. The rebuild went great and the tractor runs a lot better. But it idles real high and the idle adjustment screw doesn't change it. I've checked the linkage and it seems to be ok. Is there something in the rebuild that I may have done wrong? It cranks right up and runs real strong but idle is around 1200rpms.

I'm kinda grabbing here. Check your choke to see if it's open or partially closed and the manual choke cable is working properly. I'm thinking you might have a governor issue. The throttle linkage and governor linkage are tied together. It could be the governor linkage has somehow been moved to close to or wide open position. That's where I'd concentrate my troubleshooting.

/ 135 High Idle
I didn't have this problem before the rebuild and I didn't change any other linkage. How do I tell if the governor needs adjusted?

/ 135 High Idle #4  
G'day if you disconnect the linkage from the govenor to the throttle shaft and manually operate it you should be able to get it to idle slower, if it does then you then you have a govenor/linkage prob if it won't then your prob lays with the carb as the kid said maybe the choke cam sticking or soething stuck in the throttle butterfly. I once had a customers nissan that would not idle properly and took the air cleaner off to find an oat had got itself wedged onto the butterfly.

Jon

/ 135 High Idle #5  
ArcherXC said:
I didn't have this problem before the rebuild and I didn't change any other linkage. How do I tell if the governor needs adjusted?

Does your throttle lever effect the revs at all? Remove the carb and check the throttle plates to make sure they are not biding against the manifold. How far did you breakdown your carb?

I found this link to some good info that might help. One of our good friends here Shona wrote and worth reading.
http://tractorpoint.com/forum/masse...enith-Carburetor-Problems-and-adjustment.html

/ 135 High Idle #6  
Also, if ya did R+R the throttle plate, make sure it still closes completely.

/ 135 High Idle #7  
Also, if ya did R+R the throttle plate, make sure it still closes completely.

I believe both the throttle plate and the choke plate have beveled edges that must be installed in the correct direction so they seal against the bore of the carborator. Leave the screws securing them loose, rotate the shaft to close the plate and gently tighten the screws a little at a time so you don't dislodge the alignment between the shaft, plate and the bore, until the screws are sufficiently tight.

/ 135 High Idle #8  
Any progress on the idle speed issue? Haven't heard any further news.