replacing waterpump on mf165

/ replacing waterpump on mf165 #1  

bozd

Tractor
massey ferguson 165
hi,

I was looking at the list of mf vintage and see mostly 135 series mf so just wondering does anyone know of any source of on-line video where I can see how to change a waterpump on my 165. It is a 1977 model with round axle and has faithfully worked away for 10 years without any trouble but now is the time to get it sorted as the coolant just flows out of her now:( . I have taken bonnet off and am now scratching my head as to how to approach it - would presume 135 would be similar - any suggestions. thank you in advance.

/ replacing waterpump on mf165 #2  
bozd said:
hi,

I was looking at the list of mf vintage and see mostly 135 series mf so just wondering does anyone know of any source of on-line video where I can see how to change a waterpump on my 165. It is a 1977 model with round axle and has faithfully worked away for 10 years without any trouble but now is the time to get it sorted as the coolant just flows out of her now:( . I have taken bonnet off and am now scratching my head as to how to approach it - would presume 135 would be similar - any suggestions. thank you in advance.

After looking at a picture of the pump it shouldn't be that difficult to replace. I didn't find any videos online on a 165.

If the 165 cooling system comes apart kinda like a 135 you are on your way. Remove bonnet, loosen and remove fan belt. Drain and remove radiator with shroud still attached. Unbolt the fan from the water pump. There should be four bolts that holds the pump to the block. If you already acquired the pump and replacement gasket. Clean the old gasket off really good. You can use a spray gasket adhesive and lightly spray one side of the new gasket so it will stay on while you position and tighten the mounting bolts. Remount radiator, hoses. Double check that everything is tight. Fill with proper coolant mixture. Fire it up and check for leaks.

Posted with iPad 2 iOS v5.1 -TBN v1.5.16

/ replacing waterpump on mf165 #3  
:welcome:

/ replacing waterpump on mf165
hi The Kid, yes I have taken off bonnet - eventually got it off - discovered relatively new rad too , which is good. kinda gulping when I read about taking rad off - but hey wont be using her for a few weeks anyway with wet weather so will tackle it this weekend - hopefully. thanks for the help.

thanks for greeting - living in Wexford - the land of the Murphys.

/ replacing waterpump on mf165 #6  
   / replacing waterpump on mf165 #7  
G'day bosd.
To remove the radiator ,remove the top and bottom radiator hoses at the radiator end or completely remove them take the air filter housing of out of the way four bolts,remove four bolts either side at the front of the radiator and ALL the self tapping screws on the sides that hold the fan cover to the radiator and move the fan cover TOWARDS THE ENGINE as far as you can and then lift the radiator out then take the cover out ,remove the fan belt then the water pump is easy to get to ,I would replace the hoses and the thermostat while you are at it otherwise you may have to do all this again.
Happy days.
Hutch.

wow thanks for that Hutch really appreciate the input - especially about replacing the parts - makes sense. boy envy you the weather. lived in Perth for a while 20 odd years ago - very fond memories - got my first bike there and back into it now - sister worked on farm in Moora also , she lives in Blue Mountains now having gone via USA and married a Texan along the way. Son is living in Chinchilla Queensland - working on watermelon farm - may be we will get a summer this year - fingers crossed. There was so much rain here that onlly could get tractor in fields for half the year - groan !

/ replacing waterpump on mf165 #9  
G'day bozd.
Good to hear you had a pleasant experience in our lucky country ,I migrated here in the seventies and i lived in guess where Moora ,My brother in law was a shearer in the area and his father owned a sheep property in Koojan which is or was the next setlement south so there you go ,the heat Tomorrow ,s forecast is 44 degrees and 80 % humidity so I reckon it will be a good day to be indoors and play on the Computer.
Happy Days.
See ya.
Hutch.