MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #1  

klancf51

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE IH, Massey Ferguson, Ford
I'm brand new to this forum. There's a lot of good information and knowledge here. I am going to repair a transmission leak on a MF 135 (1967 Deluxe, 6-sp, Z-145). I assume that when I split the tractor I will find leakage from the input shaft seal. I"m pretty sure that I will also have to split the gearbox in order to slide the PTO driveshaft rearward so that I can remove the transmission input shaft (slide forward and out). I plan to replace both input and PTO shaft seals and all gaskets (and maybe the clutch, depending on its condition). I will be referencing a G&D service manual.
My questions:
  1. How far do I have to split the transmission in order to give enough clearance for the PTO shaft to push back and disengage from the input shaft?
  2. Is the removal & re-insertion of the PTO shaft fairly straight-forward or is there something I should know in advance?
  3. Does the PTO shaft and transmission housing reassemble easily?
  4. Are there any "gotcha"s" on seal installation that aren't covered in the manual?
  5. Any other tips?
I just want to be as prepared as possible in order to avoid mistakes and have no re-work when the tractor is fully re-assembled.
I need to get this tractor back to work.

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #2  
I'm brand new to this forum. There's a lot of good information and knowledge here. I am going to repair a transmission leak on a MF 135 (1967 Deluxe, 6-sp, Z-145). I assume that when I split the tractor I will find leakage from the input shaft seal. I"m pretty sure that I will also have to split the gearbox in order to slide the PTO driveshaft rearward so that I can remove the transmission input shaft (slide forward and out). I plan to replace both input and PTO shaft seals and all gaskets (and maybe the clutch, depending on its condition). I will be referencing a G&D service manual.
My questions:

[*] How far do I have to split the transmission in order to give enough clearance for the PTO shaft to push back and disengage from the input shaft?
[*] Is the removal & re-insertion of the PTO shaft fairly straight-forward or is there something I should know in advance?
[*] Does the PTO shaft and transmission housing reassemble easily?
[*] Are there any "gotcha"s" on seal installation that aren't covered in the manual?
[*] Any other tips?

I just want to be as prepared as possible in order to avoid mistakes and have no re-work when the tractor is fully re-assembled.
I need to get this tractor back to work.

How bad is this leak. It would have to be a significant leak to break the tractor down.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #3  
:welcome:

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #4  
Welcome

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole
How bad is this leak. It would have to be a significant leak to break the tractor down.

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.01 - TNB v1.6

It's a steady drip - I would estimate over 1 quart per hour. Enough to have me concerned about the clutch linings.

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #6  
what fluid is it?

what fluid is it?

I'm not certain - I haven't replaced (or topped up) the fluid. It just started leaking when I started and ran a little bit it up two weeks ago.

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #8  
Your talking about the hole in the bell housing with the cotter pin?

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #10  
well now we need to find out which side its coming from, engine or trans