Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX #1  

bskward

Tractor
massey ferguson 135
The top gear broke and I fix it, everything works great but oil comes out of the breather. (on the steering box) I don't know why, help me please. thanks Brian

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX
Is there a piece the goes under the breather, so the oil don't come out. What really sucks is my Dad was a heavy equipments mechanic but pasted away 2 years ago.(sure do miss him now lol) If anyone could help would be great.

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX #3  
Is there a piece the goes under the breather, so the oil don't come out. What really sucks is my Dad was a heavy equipments mechanic but pasted away 2 years ago.(sure do miss him now lol) If anyone could help would be great.

Go to AGCO Parts Books and put in 135 in the open box and select Massey Ferguson in the pull down window. Click in the steering box for your type, manual, hydraulic types. There you will find an exploded view of the steering box. I'm not sure what you are calling a breather on the steering box.

Thank you, I will try it

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX #5  
Thank you, I will try it

Are you talking about the filler cap that's located on the steering box?

View attachment 302460

If it is leaking here you may have way too much hydraulic fluid in the tractor. The tractor holds approximately 8 gallons of fluid which is shared throughout the read of the tractor. There are two oils required. Engine oil and hydraulic oil. Can you provide a picture of where it is leaking?

no, thats not the one. I'll put a picture on here as so as I can.

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX #7  
no, thats not the one. I'll put a picture on here as so as I can.

On the parts break down on AGCO book are you talking about item # 15?

/ Ineed help with my MF 135 STEERING BOX #8  
The top gear broke and I fix it, everything works great but oil comes out of the breather. (on the steering box) I don't know why, help me please. thanks Brian

It sounds as if your Massey 135 tractor has power steering. Correct? If so, it's possible that your steering box has been over-filled, causing oil to come out the breather as you described. My understanding is that models with manual steering typically don't have a breather, where the oil would come out the top of the steering column if they were over-filled.

Referring to the image below, your problem may be solved if you remove the bolt shown as "Fill Location" and allow the steering gear box oil to drain until it's level reaches that point. Obviously, you'll need to use something to catch the oil that drains out during the process. Note that the power steering portion of the steering system uses a separate pressurized oil system and reservoir , so it won't be affected by draining the steering gear box oil.

atoyac.jpg

Additionally, on models equipped with power steering it's also possible that the lower steering column shaft seal may be bad, allowing power steering fluid to enter the steering gear box, thus causing the steering gear box oil to become over-filled, which results in oil coming out of the breather. This can be confirmed or denied by draining the steering gear box oil to the correct level as indicated above, then checking the power steering fluid and continuing to ensure that it remains at the correct level. If the power steering fluid level continues to drop and no other leaks are noted, it's very likely that the lower steering column shaft seal is bad.

Last edited: