MF 35 ignition

/ MF 35 ignition #11  
I dont have books on the 35 but I looked in my operator manual and parts manual that came with my 135 with perkins engine in 1970. The only thing mentioned for cold weather starts is a small shot of starting fluid or an optional 120 volt block heater. Hope this helps.
PJ all is not lost. If you goto AGCO Parts Books and loggin as GUEST put 35 in the box and pull down window put Massey Ferguson. Scroll down to "35 Tractor" and there you will find every part number for your tractor in exploded view. Compliments of AGCO.

You guys where mentioning heater. It's actually a preheater that mounts in the manifold and get power from a equipped start switch. If you tractor doesn't have it. It can be added. There is a world of information at your fingertips. you just have to search the right words/terminology. Here's a few items I pulled off the net.

View attachment 302456

This is a snippet from Agcopartsbook showing both a PLUG and a Preheater. If yours doesn't have the preheater, then it probably has a plug installed in the manifold. This is where fuel is preheated before it hits the cylinders. It is powered off a special dash switch.

View attachment 302457

Notice the switch has more terminals than the one you probably have. One of those terminals hooks to the preheater. Found this on ebay.

View attachment 302458

This is the preheater that screws into the manifold and a wire runs to the switch to activate it. Found this on ebay.

View attachment 302459

Last is a diagram of the wiring for a MF35 Diesel

This should keep you busy. You might consider ordering a service manual and partsbook from AGCO. They are tad pricy but they have the most complete infomation of any manual offered.

They can be found at www.agcopubs.com

Good luck in your conversion. -robert

/ MF 35 ignition #14  
DO NOT start with ether! Bg Dean Austin stated you will take the ring lands off the pistons if you gave them either.
lLook in the intake, you will have a thermostart.

/ MF 35 ignition
The guy I bought if from said that's how he used to start it when it was cold, I hope he didn't do any damage. He only owned it for about 9 months but was moving out of town.

My neighbor just came over this afternoon and was pleased with my purchase, I guess between the older 4cyl and the gas versions this was, in his opinion, one of the best of the 35's. He even told me of a local farmer who bought this exact tractor in the early 60's, I'll probably go pick his brain eventually.

DO NOT start with ether! Bg Dean Austin stated you will take the ring lands off the pistons if you gave them either.
lLook in the intake, you will have a thermostart.

/ MF 35 ignition #16  
Wow Robert that was a really helpful reply, thanks!

No problem. On the manual. That sounds about right. As long as it's AGCO's Massey Ferguson manual you'll be in good shape. There are a lot of slipshod copies being sold on CD that aren't worth the CD their written on.

As a few has cautioned. DO NOT USE A STARTING FLUID ON THIS TRACTOR. It could cause disastrous results. If your tractor hasn't been converted to 12v. That's another project you might consider. Good luck. - robert

Sent from my iPad iOS 6.1 - TBN v1.6

/ MF 35 ignition
So according to Agco parts thing (which is pretty sweet) there are two possible ignition switches:

"Cole-Hersee & Lucas Are Alternate
Switches. Check Switch & Associated
Parts Carefully Before Ordering."

I ordered the one from ebay that says it works with the heat/start.
Ignition Starter Switch for Massey Ferguson TO35 MF35 MF50 MF65 MF85 MF88 MF90 | eBay

Since I don't have one to compare, hopefully this one fits. There's a 12 volt battery in there, so I guess I can assume it's been "converted." The wiring looks to be a mess though, guess I'll need to address that.