MF 35 ignition

/ MF 35 ignition #1  
Tractor
MF 35
So I've got my 1964 MF 35 in the garage finally and am trying to sort some things out. Let me preface that this is the first diesel tractor I've ever owned. This ones giving me some trouble starting now (temps have been 30F - 45F)

1) The ignition switch does not seem to be stock. The key actually says new holland on it and it doesn't seem to do anything but start, in other words it doesn't seem to index to the heating option. In the original configuration did you have to hold the key manually on the heating option?

2) Am I supposed to hear the glow plugs being actuated? Or feel any sort of warmth by touch?

Thanks!

/ MF 35 ignition #2  
My brother inlaw had a 35 diesel made around that same time. His didnt have glow plugs. I could be wrong but I didnt think the 35's or the later 135's even had glow plugs.

/ MF 35 ignition #3  
My brother inlaw had a 35 diesel made around that same time. His didnt have glow plugs. I could be wrong but I didnt think the 35's or the later 135's even had glow plugs.

No glow plugs just start on my 1967 135

/ MF 35 ignition
hmm, OK, so what is actually heating up when the key is turned to "heat."

This is the Perkins 3cylinder, if that makes any difference.

/ MF 35 ignition #5  
I dont know. Maybe its got to do with the new holland switch.... Get a 12 volt tester and find which terminal is hot only when the switch is in the warm position. If it has a wire on it, follow that wire an let us know where it goes.

/ MF 35 ignition #6  
some machines have a manifold heater in them. do a search.

/ MF 35 ignition
So the instructions for heating in cold weather is the original stickers on the tractor. It says turn key to heat setting for 15 seconds, again these are the stock instructions from the people of 1964.

Thanks.

/ MF 35 ignition #8  
So the instructions for heating in cold weather is the original stickers on the tractor. It says turn key to heat setting for 15 seconds, again these are the stock instructions from the people of 1964.

Thanks.

do yourself a favor and buy a factory OP manual, there on ebay for about 12 bucks.

/ MF 35 ignition #9  
The Perkins had a thermostart heater in the intake manifold. It heats up a shot of diesel, when shot in assidts with starting.

Get genuine mf manuals.

Last edited:
   / MF 35 ignition #10  
I dont have books on the 35 but I looked in my operator manual and parts manual that came with my 135 with perkins engine in 1970. The only thing mentioned for cold weather starts is a small shot of starting fluid or an optional 120 volt block heater. Hope this helps.