Replacement water temp. guage.

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #1  

MF204Mike

Bronze Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 204 1954 Ferggie TO30 1966 Sears Custom, 1974 Wheel Horse B-80
I hope I'm in the right place to ask this question.
The temp guage on my 1960 MF204 (Z134 gas) doesn't work, the lead from the probe to the guage had been severed some time back.
The operating manual states normal running temp is 130 and my trans guage reads 140 nomally when warmed up, I know these are 2 seperate systems but I'd like to make sure I don't overheat the ole gal.
Anyway in trying to replace the guage I've run into the problem of, probes being to long or wide to fit in the thermostat housing ( where the OEM guage is located), or the wrong thread size on the nuts or both.
I was looking over the block and noticed the drain cock on the right side of the block might be a place to route an aftermaket guage, but I thought I put a "Tee" in the block where the petcock is and then plug one end so I could drain the block when needed, and use the other outlet for the probe of the guage? I think I would have to find various fittings to do this but it seems like it might work.
I was wondering if anyone else has come across this type of problem and what they did to remedy it.

Thanx in advance for any input.

Mike

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #2  
Mike I recently put a new temp gauge on my 135 and found the probe to be a tad bit too big. I just drilled out the hole slightly and it fit fine. I had some leak issues around the threads but several times with thread tape got it to hold. My gauge came with two different fittings. Hope that helps.

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #3  
The location of the temperature sender is important . I would make every effort to put it just where the factory put it . I don't think the drain cock is a suitable location, since it may not accurately measure the coolant temperature as it exits the engine coolant passages. ( And if I had my temperature gauge hooked up two seasons ago, I might have noticed that the coolant had leaked out of my radiator , before it started blowing steam out of the radiator cap. My tractor now sits with a blown head gasket, as the minimum problem but probably not the only problem!)

/ Replacement water temp. guage.
Thanx Forester Massey,
I would guess the guage you used was a OEM replacement ?
The Massey Ferguson dealer a few towns from where I live told me my OEM guage had been discontinued and no replacement listed, thus the reason of going after market. I didn't mention in the original post the probes are also longer than the original, I've not pulled the thermo housing to see just how deep the opening is or anything so currently at somewhat of a road block,
I'm sure somewhere there would be a kit with fittings that could be used, I've tried Ebay but I'm very sceptical about ordering anything that I might have to return, postage and restocking fees considered.
With your reply I'm thinking that if it comes to it I could drill and retap to fit some aftermarket guage.

thank you for the advise I appreciate it very much
Mike.

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #5  
Massey Ferguson's are sold all over the globe. Parts as in gauges are made many places. Mine was made in India. It works, that's all it matters to me. Your original gauge is probably out of production and aftermarket is your only option.

Sent from my iPad v1.62

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #6  
Mike, mine was an after market gauge. Also, it did not require much drilling and I am have mostly been removing buildup of hard water.

I would think something as simple as a temp guage would be available somewhere.
I started looking on AGCO parts books and came up with several part number for guages, the 35 and the 202 share the same part number except the ending of the 35 is M92 and the 202 ends with M93, cant tell what the difference is but different numbers mean something is different Im sure.
The AGCO part number for my 204 is 193209M1 and so far I haven't been able to find a number close to it.
Forester Massey said he had to drill his opening somewhat to accept the probe on his and that might be what I have to do. (drill and retap)
I just don't want to pull the thermo housing until I'm sure this will be the only way to have a guage.
I even gave the though of going electric guage but never have trusted them to much. Who knows, might have even more problems going that route.
I've had this tractor a little over 3 years and never had to replace anything other than fluids and filters so I guess I've been lucky so far.
I might try a salvage yard and see if I can get lucky doing that, either way I'm determined to get a temp guage in.

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #8  
Take a look at Steiner Tractor parts. They are very good at having the parts for the specific model and year of tractor.

/ Replacement water temp. guage. #9  
The temp guage on my 1960 MF204 (Z134 gas) doesn't work, the lead from the probe to the guage had been severed some time back.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Massey 204 is an industrial variant of the Massey 35 tractor. That said, the temperature gauge and sending unit for the Massey 35, Massey 135, or any other model which uses the Continental Z134, and possibly even the Continental Z145, is likely to work.

I started looking on AGCO parts books and came up with several part number for guages, the 35 and the 202 share the same part number except the ending of the 35 is M92 and the 202 ends with M93, cant tell what the difference is but different numbers mean something is different Im sure.

My understanding is that the part number suffix (M92 or M93) is simply a method the manufacturer used to indicate an "updated" part. I have no way of knowing the exact physical differences between the two parts, but based on my own experience with Massey Ferguson parts and part numbers while performing my own Massey 135 tractor restoration, I believe they are very likely to interchange.

The location of the temperature sender is important . I would make every effort to put it just where the factory put it . I don't think the drain cock is a suitable location, since it may not accurately measure the coolant temperature as it exits the engine coolant passages.

I agree. The placement of the temperature sending unit (probe) is critical. If it were placed at the location of the drain petcock it's very likely that it might read too cold due to the inrush of fresh coolant into the block. Likewise, it's equally possible that it might read too hot due to the proximity of the drain petcock to the cylinder walls. Further complicating matters is that it might read too hot at times or too cold at others, depending on a variety of factors.

Thanx Mike R.

I didn't know about Steiner they show one that will fit the 35 and a lot of others including the 205 (diesel) but it doesn't list the 204.
I guess it would be wise for me to pull the old probe out and get some measurements then start making some calls.
I never dreamed changing a temp guage would become such a project. buy the way I did check the temp on the thermostat in the AGCO book and it did list 160 degree, my mistake

Last edited: