MF 135 steering box reassembly

/ MF 135 steering box reassembly #1  

krue

Tractor
MF 135 Perkins Gas
I just replaced the bearings and races for the steering wheel shaft in my steering box (manual steer US style gearbox), but I can't remember how to orient the gears to get everything back together. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a manual on cd around here somewhere (have to dig 'cuz we moved since the last time I saw it) but our computer's cd drive quit, so finding it won't be much help.

/ MF 135 steering box reassembly #2  
I just replaced the bearings and races for the steering wheel shaft in my steering box (manual steer US style gearbox), but I can't remember how to orient the gears to get everything back together. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a manual on cd around here somewhere (have to dig 'cuz we moved since the last time I saw it) but our computer's cd drive quit, so finding it won't be much help.

Snipped this off the free access at AGCO Parts Books

Maybe this exploded view of your gearbox will shake your memory.

View attachment 303535

/ MF 135 steering box reassembly #3  
Having recently overhauled the manual steering gear box during my Massey 135 tractor restoration project, I found the process of aligning the ball nut and sector gears to be extremely simple. It's highly advisable that you locate or purchase a service manual because there are some caveats to watch out for.

Basically, to align the gears you do the following. Note that some steps are omitted for the sake of clarity about aligning the ball nut and sector gears.

1. Install the steering shaft assembly using the original shim pack and adjust the pre-load on the bearings.
  2. Install the lower sector gear (pitman shaft) with the blank portion of it down, and align it so the lowest tooth on the ball nut of the steering shaft meshes with the tooth next to the blank portion of the sector gear.
  3. Install the upper sector gear (pitman shaft) with the blank portion of it up, and align it so the last tooth on the upper sector gear meshes next to the master tooth on the lower sector gear. Note that the master tooth on the lower sector gear should be 4 teeth from it's blank portion, clockwise as viewed from the slot where the adjusting screw goes.
  4. Turn the steering shaft to each extent of it's travel (lock to lock) to ensure that the ball nut of the steering shaft and both the upper and lower sector gears mesh properly. If any binding is noted, check for proper alignment/meshing of the gears.

Lastly, I strongly advise filling the steering gear box with *green* corn head grease (2-3 tubes should suffice) because the grease specified in the manual is no longer available. Note that the viscosity of common chassis grease is too thick for this application, but giving everything a light coating of chassis grease prior to assembly is fine.

/ MF 135 steering box reassembly #4  
The following image is a 3D graphic I created which illustrates the correct initial alignment of the sector gears and ball nut for the manual steering gear box of the Massey Ferguson 135 tractor. It also applies to certain earlier Massey Ferguson tractors such as the MF-35 that are equipped with manual steering.

2krclf.jpg

/ MF 135 steering box reassembly
Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed.:D