'73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #91  
Yes a 1967 diesel, just has a starter switch, no preheat also runs a ammeter. My regulator is bad, I sometimes charge and then poof no charge. So I could replace the Reg or just change the whole thing out. What you guy's think?

If it where me, I'd replace them both. The genny has to be serviced with brushes over time. The VR has to be replaced. Replacing both is a no gimmy. I beleive I read somewhere a while back that MasseyVW was going to use an alternator after he tooted his rebuilt genny. It's just more reliable and you can add more electrical load with a Delco 10SI. I bought an alt bracket cheap enough off ebay. Used my existing genny adjuster and modified it for the alt. Most owners when thier genny plays out replaces with a better charging system. That's just my opinion. -robert

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #92  
If it where me, I'd replace them both. The genny has to be serviced with brushes over time. The VR has to be replaced. Replacing both is a no gimmy. I beleive I read somewhere a while back that MasseyVW was going to use an alternator after he tooted his rebuilt genny. It's just more reliable and you can add more electrical load with a Delco 10SI. I bought an alt bracket cheap enough off ebay. Used my existing genny adjuster and modified it for the alt. Most owners when thier genny plays out replaces with a better charging system. That's just my opinion. -robert

But if I go with the 10si route, I don't need the stock VR right?

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #93  

Exactly. But you don't have to remove it if you want to use the terminals as a tie point. Just take it out of circuit. That's what alot do. I have a small terminal strip on the back of my battery tray. But if I had left the VR they I could have used the terminals as a junction point. I removed it so as to not confuse a future owner. In fact some use a working VR with an alternator which doesn't make sense. I guess they didn't want to rewire anything. The way i see it. If your going to update the charging circuit, update the WHOLE circuit as in rewiring. My genny in my opinion was on it's last leg. The voltage would bounce on and off. It looked weird at night with the headlights on. Probably something loose. But already recided to upgrade because the genny didn't have a tachdrive on it, when it should have. Soo you've read the rest of the story. :)

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #94  
Mine bounces too, I thought the VR was bad you think its the alt?

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #95  

The stock voltage regulator isn't required because the 10SI alternator is internally regulated.

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #96  
Mine bounces too, I thought the VR was bad you think its the alt?

Murf, the stock VR's are nototious of needing regular maintenance. Just like points on a gasser. By switching over to an alternator a wire connected to your oil pressure switch will excite the alternator to charge. It also cuts voltage off the alternator so an idiot light is not needed.

You can tell if your alt is charging by the amp gauge. You'll spend more time mounting the alternator than actually wiring it. It's that simple. You can buy a alt mounting kit on ebay or your local dealer. I have later found using some barrel spacers you can reuse the genny long bolt with spacers to mount the alt to the firewall. I took the tightening bracket and flatened it and ground out a small notch to not interfere with the governor rod to as to not interfere. It may be different on a diesel.

My alternator fits nicely inside the sheet metal. That is because I measured for a new belt. The original would have hung out futher. I've seem a where few they hang outside the sheet metal quite a bit. One can also give the alt a shot of paint to match the rest it so wanted. I wrap all my wiring double. First with plastic electrical tape and finish with friction. Friction tape seems to seal better and doesn't come undone and more like factory. Anytime you can keep UV off the wire surface it will last longer. I learned this after working in the elctrical power industry for over 35 years. Work I've done 20 years ago in constant exposure to sunlight is still in good shape only because a quality tape job covering the wires.

Have you ever noticed exposed wires, where the insolation will just crumble in your hand. Tape prevents that. If you take your time and do a good neat job the first time. You will never have to do it again. Not for a long long time.

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #97  
thanks kid

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #98  
Some tractors had an alternator with an external regulator. Delco 10DN. Mine was born with this configuration and I simply replaced the external regulator with a solid state version that looks the same and plugs right in. It was less than $25.

It regulates like a modern alternator with solid state internal regulation but looks stock.

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #99  
DaButcher,
Thanks for that labeled picture. It could help me in the future.

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #100  
Some tractors had an alternator with an external regulator. Delco 10DN. Mine was born with this configuration and I simply replaced the external regulator with a solid state version that looks the same and plugs right in. It was less than $25.

It regulates like a modern alternator with solid state internal regulation but looks stock.

Don't tease, give us a part# and a photo.