'73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #111  
Well this one is recessed over an inch deep.

I can take the rear bolt out and move the hydraulic assembly, the bolt is free on the threads, it is rusted around the head inside the recessed hole. I filled it with penetrating oil and left it hoping it will free it up a little. But the only solution I really see is drilling it out. I really need about a 3/8" left hand drill bit, so hopefully it won't drill it all the way out before it gets it loose and backs it out.

Well it looks like Murphy's Law has stricken again. Since your dealing with a rusty shaft. Question: Is there threads all the way thru the head body. If not, and by the way your describing the body moving. I would put the other bolt back in (for alignment) not fully tight and start using leverage to force the body upwards till it broke the rust free. Once you have freed the valve assembly a bit of heat on the evil broken bolt should do it with a pair of vise grips. Last resort you could drill the bolt and use an "easy out". What you have described and what has occured I think and "easy out" would be fruitless . After all the bolt did shear. I don't think putting a modest amout of pressure on the valve body will damage it,, but might break the rust free. -kid

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help
Well it looks like Murphy's Law has stricken again. Since your dealing with a rusty shaft. Question: Is there threads all the way thru the head body. If not, and by the way your describing the body moving. I would put the other bolt back in (for alignment) not fully tight and start using leverage to force the body upwards till it broke the rust free. Once you have freed the valve assembly a bit of heat on the evil broken bolt should do it with a pair of vise grips. Last resort you could drill the bolt and use an "easy out". What you have described and what has occured I think and "easy out" would be fruitless . After all the bolt did shear. I don't think putting a modest amout of pressure on the valve body will damage it,, but might break the rust free. -kid

I guess I need to re-read my posts, but no the bolt is not sheared at all. The inside hex that the allen wrench is supposed to grab has stripped. It was full of water/mud/rust, I cleaned it the best I could before I started trying to get it to loosen. Funny thing is the rear bolt was easy to get loose. Oh well, I'll get it eventually....

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #113  
Why does everyone blame Murphy?

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #115  
I guess I need to re-read my posts, but no the bolt is not sheared at all. The inside hex that the allen wrench is supposed to grab has stripped. It was full of water/mud/rust, I cleaned it the best I could before I started trying to get it to loosen. Funny thing is the rear bolt was easy to get loose. Oh well, I'll get it eventually....

I thought it was an Allen screw that broke off.. It's me that needs to re- read your post. Oops. -kid

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help
No problem, I re-read it and can see where you got that from.

It's all good...

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #117  
You buy the drill yet?

/ '73 MF135 Perkins diesel AD3.152 help #118  
No problem, I re-read it and can see where you got that from.

It's all good...

I'm now thinking drill and easy out is your only option. Not Murphy's Law, but Murphy's solution.. :D

Previous post was a old folks brain fart... :shocked: